Bears Draft Countdown; Jimmie Ward/Safety

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by soulman, Apr 7, 2014.

1. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,835 / 6 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,516ß
    Chicago Bears Draft Coutdown: Making the Case for Jimmie Ward
    By Ross Read , Featured Columnist Apr 7, 2014

[​IMG]

When I first started to analyze who the Bears might draft this year, I had them slated for a defensive tackle. With the flurry of moves on the defensive line, I now believe the team will go a different route. The Bears will still need a tackle, but I see them waiting until the second or third round for one. There's a long-term need at cornerback and a short-term one at safety. I have the Bears drafting a safety, but not the one you might expect.

Jimmie Ward was a standout at Northern Illinois. He played in every game during his freshman season and blocked a school-record three punts. He recorded over 100 tackles in his second and third seasons and had 95 tackles last year.
    Tackling isn't all Ward excels at. Last season he had seven interceptions and 12 pass deflections. He works best at strong safety but can certainly play free safety if needed.

When you hear any talk of safeties in this draft, you hear Ha Ha Clinton-Dix and Calvin Pryor. Clinton-Dix is the best safety in this draft and should be off the board by the time the Bears pick. As for Pryor, I value Ward over him.
    During his pro day, Ward informed scouts he will undergo surgery soon to insert a screw into his foot. After the proclamation, he proceeded to show his toughness by running through the pain all the way to a 4.47-second 40-yard-dash time. Ward's time comes in better than Pryor's 4.58.

Pryor's greatest strength is his ability to lay the wood. He's a hard hitter who loves to stick his nose in on plays. His strengths can be a concern in the NFL. Pryor might have to adjust his game at the next level as the league continues to force players away from the bone-jarring hits.

The overzealous technique Pryor has could get him exposed. He has a tendency to cheat up and jump the gun, leaving him susceptible to double moves and shifty running backs.
  2. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,835 / 6 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,516ß
    Interesting but IMHO the Bears would be out of their minds to take Ward with the 14th pick. He simply doesn't justify it. I disagree as usual with his opinion the CB and Safety are a great need than DT. If Donald is there you take him because he meets a need and in all likelihood he will be the highest rated player on the board by then. If not then take the best damn CB who isn't Fuller unless he can play FS too.

It's Safety and CB that can wait because there are players like Ward who should be available later on. If we had to I'd even trade up for him. Even that makes more sense to me than a 4th or 5th round pick whose little more than a spare or a STeams guy if he even makes the team. With the younger guy was have and the vets we've signed IMHO there aren't gonna be a whole lot of openings.
  3. Grizzblue

Grizzblue Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +450 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    58ß
    I never was very high on Ward, but with the surgery (sounds like the same thing that ended Julio Jone's season last year) I wouldn't take him before the 3rd. And I'm sure someone will before then so I would rather have another one of the tier two guys if not Dix or Pryor.
  4. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,835 / 6 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,516ß
    True but he actually ran a 4.47/40 before the surgery. If he could run on it like that even beforehand he may be a real fast healer and willing to play with some pain which in the NFL you have to do. This kid is still my odds on favorite despite that surgery. I'd love to take him in the 3rd but I don't think he'll last that long. However, this guy who seems to be suggesting the Bears take him in one has a screw loose. Even if he turns out to be a better pick than Pryor I just don't see anyone taking that early.