Bears draft focus: CB

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by little bear, Apr 25, 2014.

1. little bear

little bear Assistant Head Coach

Ratings:
    +712 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    450ß
    http://espn.go.com/blog/chicago-bears/post/_/id/4691728/bears-draft-focus-cb

With veteran two-time Pro Bowler Charles Tillman back in the fold on just a one-year deal, the clock is ticking for the Chicago Bears to find a future starting cornerback.

Ideally, the Bears would draft a corner that is comparable in size to Tillman (6-foot-2, 198 pounds) in order to defend the taller wide receivers in the NFC North.

The general consensus is the Bears will probably steer clear of the smaller cornerbacks because 5-foot-8 Tim Jennings just signed a new four-year, $22.4 million contract. The team needs to find a replacement for Tillman.
    There is a strong chance the Bears use one of their top-three picks next month on a cornerback, although it remains to be seen in what specific round they pull the trigger.

If Oklahoma State’s Justin Gilbert falls to the Bears at No. 14, he may be hard to pass up. The trio of Michigan State’s Darqueze Dennard, Ohio State’s Bradley Roby and Virginia Tech’s Kyle Fuller are all candidates to be selected in the first round, and should all be on the board when the Bears pick.

Fuller reportedly made a recent pre-draft visit to the Bears.

In the event the Bears wait to take a cornerback until the second or third round, Lindenwood’s Pierre Desir could be an option. ESPNChicago.com reported that Bears director of college scouting Marty Barrett attended Desir’s personal pro day in March.

Desir (6-foot-1, 198 pounds) is a three-time Division II All-American with 25 career interceptions.

Utah’s Keith McGill, Florida State’s Lamarcus Joyner and Nebraska’s Stanley Jean-Baptiste have all been linked to the Bears in the second round in various mock drafts.

This projects to be a particularly deep draft a cornerback, so even if the Bears wait a round or two, they should still be in good shape.

Five projected targets:

1. Justin Gilbert, Oklahoma State
    2. Darqueze Denard, Michigan State
    3. Kyle Fuller, Virginia Tech
    4. Bradley Roby, Ohio State
    5. Pierre Desir, Lindenwood

The next five: 6. Keith McGill, Utah; 7. Stanley Jean-Baptiste, Nebraska; 8. Jason Verrett, TCU; 9. Lamarcus Joyner, Florida State; 10. Aaron Colvin, Oklahoma.

Position grade: A

--------------------

We are razor thin at depth at CB. How Emery chooses a corner will tell us what he thinks of Demontre Hurst and C.J. Wilson. Right now there are only four CB's with experience so reaching here is not an option if Emery is looking for a heir apparent for Tillman.
  2. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Hall of Famer

Ratings:
    +1,363 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    477ß
    We will no doubt pick a CB. Where he gets picked will tell us where Emery sees our most pressing needs.
  3. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,162 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    494ß
    I'd love to see us draft this guy. He's going to be a solid CB for somebody and I hope it's us.

p.s. I think this is the 183rd guy on my draft wish-list. I seem to want the Bears to draft every good guy I read about :smile: Draft day can't come soon enough, I'm dying of the boredom.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Ojibway Bob

Ojibway Bob Veteran SuperFan

Ratings:
    +95 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    62ß
    I swear I read somewhere that Bradley Roby got arrested for a DUI..... If so that might bump other CB rankings?
  5. dachuckster

dachuckster Veteran SuperFan

Ratings:
    +308 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    137ß
    Here is the information that the bleacher report links to ...

6. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,429 / 8 / -10
    ßearz ßuckz:
    351ß
    I think a mid round pick would be sufficient. Frey will step it up with more experience. I think he had maybe one INT last year, but think of all the players called out for bad defensive play last year, can anyone remember his name mentioned a bunch? I know that doesn't mean that he's gonna be great, but for him to play at the level he did as a rookie, especially on this defense, has to give ya hope that he'll play well in the league.
  7. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +664 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    567ß
    So if he is 10 times under the legal limit what is the problem. Did they draw blood to test for drugs, so far nothing is wrong with what he did and it is a non issue. Not sure why there is even an arraignment.
  8. dachuckster

dachuckster Veteran SuperFan

Ratings:
    +308 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    137ß
    BSB - That's why I posted it. It doesn't make much sense to me either.