Bears elevate Mills, Long; Webb to 2nd team

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by Papa_Bear_7, Aug 11, 2013.

1. Papa_Bear_7

Papa_Bear_7 Veteran

Ratings:
    +114 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    43ß
    Bears elevate Mills, Long; Webb to 2nd team

BOURBONNAIS, Ill. -- The Chicago Bears returned to the practice field following their preseason opener in Carolina with a different starting combination on the right side of the offensive line with rookies right tackle Jordan Mills and right guard Kyle Long replacing James Brown and the embattled J'Marcus Webb.
    [+] Enlarge[​IMG]
    Jerry Lai/USA TODAY SportsBears guard Kyle Long is working out with the first team at camp.
    The Bears inserting 2013 first-round pick Long into the starting lineup is hardly a surprise since both he and Brown had been alternating reps with the No. 1 offense since the beginning of training camp, but Sunday marked the first time Mills, the Bears’ 2013 fifth-round choice out of Louisiana Tech, had jumped in front of Webb on the depth chart. Webb spent the practice at left tackle with the second team while Eben Britton worked at right tackle with the No. 2s. Veteran Jonathan Scott remained sidelined with a knee injury.

“It’s a great opportunity, it’s humbling, having Roberto Garza, Webb, Jermon Bushrod, Matt Slauson, the whole offensive line helps me,” Mills said. “They’re in your ear every time I make mistakes I can go to the sideline expecting some criticism, constructive criticism -- what to do here, you need to step this way, be a little bit lower, so it’s been great working with them. In my eyes, these dudes are all Hall of Famers in my eyes, so just to be here is so humbling.”

Bears head coach Marc Trestman cautioned that nothing is set in stone on the right side, but said Mills and Long will continue to get the bulk of the practice reps in the next couple of days leading up to the second preseason game against the San Diego Chargers, where the duo is likely to open up the game as starters.

However, Trestman stopped short of saying the team was sending a message to Webb.

“I think we've been very clear with J'Marcus about what we're doing,” Trestman said. “I said it last week that there's been an up-and-down performance level by J'Marcus but we were still going to do this. We were still going to give work to the other guys and see what they could do as well. So we'll evaluate it. We're going to go through the week like this. We'll evaluate the game and move forward into Oakland."
  2. Mr. Deliverance

Mr. Deliverance Guest

Ratings:
    +109 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    This is what has to be done. Get those rookies out there and play them. Let them get game experience. They'll get better as time goes on. Its not like they're replacing All Pro players. We need the most talented and best player on the field, regardless of their experience. And that goes for both sides of the ball.
    • Like Like x 3
  3. Papa_Bear_7

Papa_Bear_7 Veteran

Ratings:
    +114 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    43ß
    Mods, please delete one of these two threads. An iPad and slow internet makes for some mistakes. o_O
  4. Papa_Bear_7

Papa_Bear_7 Veteran

Ratings:
    +114 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    43ß
    I love this comment by Mills: It’s a great opportunity, it’s humbling, having Roberto Garza, Webb, Jermon Bushrod, Matt Slauson, the whole offensive line helps me,” Mills said. “They’re in your ear every time I make mistakes I can go to the sideline expecting some criticism, constructive criticism -- what to do here, you need to step this way, be a little bit lower, so it’s been great working with them. In my eyes, these dudes are all Hall of Famers in my eyes, so just to be here is so humbling.

The poor guy doesn't know what good o-linemen look like.
    • Like Like x 4
  5. Grizzblue

Grizzblue Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +450 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    59ß
    I agree D, in my eyes this dosent mean much other than they are being given a fair chance to play with the ones for at least one game and show what they can do. Its good IMO that Mills is getting his chance to show the coaches what he can do and is being given a real chance to turn some heads. Barring Mills coming out and really playing some impressive football I do think that the right side will be Long, Webb come week one, but this makes the 2nd PS game very interesting to watch what these two will do.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. mdbearz

mdbearz Veteran

Ratings:
    +283 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    24ß
    No more free passes for Webb because of potential.

There is really only one way to measure a guys ability to start other than to have him go against the San Diego 1s.

No more lip service about a competition, these guys are getting the prep time during the week and game time to really show how they would perform as a starter.

Gotta love it!
  7. butka

butka Veteran

Ratings:
    +133 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    16ß
    Mills made quite a few mistakes in the game that I saw. It makes me think this is just a weak ploy to motivate Webb. I'd like to see Britton get a shot at starting RT, personally.
  8. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Position Coach

Ratings:
    +1,576 / 6 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    803ß
    I don't understand why Mills instead of Britton. Whoever is best should start. I do love the fact that if you are not playing well, they are going to move your a$$ down and see if someone else wants it more. Something that the last bunch of coaching impostors did not seem to have in their tool set. Wish we hadn't gotten rid of Carimi even moreso now.
    • Like Like x 2
  9. GermansbombedPH

GermansbombedPH Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +53 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    30ß
    thank god Webb is done as a Bear. I can't see him coming back to the starting lineup
  10. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,004 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,027ß
    No one said he's done as a bear. The others are just being given a chance to compete for his job. Like BiH said, Mills hardly impressed....really neither did Britton.
    A lot of rumors suggested that Long would be given the RG spot and Brown would go to swing, I hope he earned it and it wasn't just handed. I saw mixed reviews on Longs performance, a lot of fans raved on him, and a few analysts said he was still showing a lot of raw....not that Brown was impressive either.

"Bears head coach Marc Trestman cautioned that nothing is set in stone on the right side, but said Mills and Long will continue to get the bulk of the practice reps in the next couple of days leading up to the second preseason game against the San Diego Chargers, where the duo is likely to open up the game as starters.

However, Trestman stopped short of saying the team was sending a message to Webb.

“I think we've been very clear with J'Marcus about what we're doing,” Trestman said. “I said it last week that there's been an up-and-down performance level by J'Marcus but we were still going to do this. We were still going to give work to the other guys and see what they could do as well. So we'll evaluate it. We're going to go through the week like this. We'll evaluate the game and move forward into Oakland"

Think people need to reread into that and see that there's a good chance that things get changed around game 3 or 4.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Bearstuff

Bearstuff Yes, in the woods. Staff Member SuperFan

Ratings:
    +1,137 / 3 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    495ß
    Clearly there is a plan to simply put everyone up with the ones at these two positions to see what we've got. The only way to evaluate how someone will do against the best is the play them against your best in practice & then see what happen in a (preseason) game. I'd expect to see Britton and Brown up with the ones before PS ends.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Jimmors

Jimmors The Rhymenoceros Staff Member SuperFan

Ratings:
    +4,467 / 8 / -6
    ßearz ßuckz:
    765ß
    Bout time they demoted Webb, hopefully its permanent.
  13. Grizzblue

Grizzblue Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +450 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    59ß
    This by no means says that Webb is done as a Bear, let alone is not a starter. I think Mills needs a great week and game in order to even be given another week as a starter. Whatever happens, the legit competition is good.
    • Like Like x 3
  14. mdbearz

mdbearz Veteran

Ratings:
    +283 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    24ß
    Mills and Britton both struggled at times, against the scrubs, so I don't think that it will be permanent.

I still expect that Webb will be the best option come game 3 (the closest to a real game), and for the start of the season.

Just like others have said, Carimi is looking better and better every day. Sure wish we knew the real story behind the whole thing.

If Carimi was crying that he should be annointed the starter, then I guess the staff needed to put thier collective foot down, and the sudo hold out was the last straw.
    • Like Like x 2
  15. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Position Coach

Ratings:
    +1,576 / 6 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    803ß
    Funny thing about Long and Mills is that if I didn't know either of them and I was told that one was a T and one was a G, by body types I would say Long was the T and Mills the G. Of course that is a poor way to pick a position, but the big stout guys seems to always be the G's and the taller athletic guys seem to be the T's.

Don't really care one way or another as long as we have an effective group. Just an observation so I guess I'm bored...
  16. Grizzblue

Grizzblue Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +450 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    59ß
    Yea the Carimi move is looking more and more regrettable.
    • Like Like x 1
  17. GermansbombedPH

GermansbombedPH Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +53 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    30ß
    Ric, I think Webb is done as a Bear. He is bad and others surpassed him. He may start the season for us, but he won't finish it with us
    • Like Like x 1
  18. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,004 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,027ß
    German, I hope your right, but I don't think others surpassed him by any means. Britton looked AWFUL too. And Mills is hardly a sure thing by anymeans. The entire OL was unimpressive on Friday, did you see Blanchard running for his life out there? Ya that was Mills out there on that line...and that was against scrubs, can you imagine what the Cincy DL would do to him and Long if both are starting?

As long as the best are playing I could care less, I have no love loss for Webb, but again all reports, and the HC himself said do not think this is the final OL, and Long and Mills might not even start the next pre season game.
  19. Grizzblue

Grizzblue Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +450 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    59ß
    There is no way that Webb is "done as a Bear" based just off this move. It would be a very pleasant surprise if Mills came on like a gangbuster to fight and claw his way up the depth chart. That would mean we had a better player at RT and that would make our team better.

I don't think that's the case. I do think that Webb will prove to be the best we have
  20. 4dabers

4dabers Veteran DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +736 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    81ß
    No one has been more critical of Webb and his nation than I, but I don't see this (Webb's demotion) as an absolute at all. By all accounts, this coaching staff is giving several people chances at several positions. That is a good thing and a bad thing all at once; at least in my view. It's a good thing because guys that may normally be overlooked by something as simple as "depth" are being given an opportunity to show what they can be. It's not crazy to think a guy could really jump up in just a matter of days if he is given the right opportunity and the right "on-the-spot" coaching. On the other hand, it also means that no one has really shown up as a clearly superior player yet. That is obviously concerning considering how bad our line-up was last year.

I guess time will tell, but based on how this new group of coaches appears to be operating, I don't think anyone is safe, or un-safe just yet.
    • Like Like x 3