Bears embrace Trestman's words

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by Nakoma1, Sep 12, 2013.

1. Nakoma1

Nakoma1 Veteran

Ratings:
    +183 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Bears embrace Trestman's words
    Article and Video

Coach preaches humility, and so far that has been a winning formula in Chicago

CHICAGO -- Not long after his first win as an NFL head coach, the culmination of decades of hard work, hirings, firings and making that Canadian bacon, Marc Trestman was asked a reasonable question about the victory's importance to him.

After all, Trestman literally wrote the book on his own career.

But the longtime assistant who finally landed his dream job wouldn't take the bait.

"I give them all credit," he said. "Sundays are for players. Sunday is the players' day to celebrate the privilege of playing in the National Football League."

Doesn't he know this is the NFL? We have storylines to create, myths to make, a mini-Ditka to anoint.

"Whose team is this?" is a popular game we play in covering and talking about sports. We like to know the hierarchy of a team, even if it is exaggerated.

[[​IMG]
    David Banks/Getty ImagesBears coach Marc Trestman says you can never be too humble, and his players seem to be buying into that philosophy when it comes to the team.

Depending on the day, the Bulls are Tom Thibodeau's team, Derrick Rose's team or Joakim Noah's team.

The Cubs are a Theo Epstein creation, even though he might not want credit just yet. The White Sox were a Kenny Williams and Ozzie Guillen duet. The Blackhawks are Jonathan Toews' team, even if some want to credit only the owner and president.

Given that his hiring was a radical departure from the previous coach, Trestman is the easy answer to take over the limelight, even if it doesn't quite suit his bookish persona.

Given the franchise's devotion to defense and a lunch-pail running attack, Trestman seemed more attuned to be a Professor of the Midway at the University of Chicago.

And by virtue of his own ubiquity, The Coach is almost always the lead character in the chronicling of a sports season. He talks the most, after all.

But a good coach doesn't suck up all the oxygen. Not everyone can be Da Coach. And a good coach espouses all those team-first clichés we get sick of hearing.

Lovie Smith, a true players' coach, hated when we talked about the Lovie Smith defense or the Mike Martz offense.

"It's the Chicago Bears offense," he'd say. "The Chicago Bears defense."

CONTINUED =============>

http://espn.go.com/chicago/nfl/story/_/id/9660054/chicago-bears-embrace-coach-marc-trestman-words

2. Nakoma1

Nakoma1 Veteran

Ratings:
    +183 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    SHEEEEESH I mean really ,..... 4 -5 plays called in each snap ???

Marshall was ready to testify to Cutler's increased stature in the opener.

3. JPosh2012

JPosh2012 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +86 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Sounds like Trestman had them really prepared to win.
  4. dachuckster

dachuckster Veteran SuperFan

Ratings:
    +263 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    53ß
    All the stuff I read about Trestman says he is a real demon on details. So I wasn't surprised to read that.

I gotta get his book.