Bears Have Second Slowest Offense In The NFL......................

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by soulman, Aug 20, 2014.

1. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,913 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,760ß
    Are Chicago Bears Seeking Speed Upgrade on Offense?

Aug 20, 2014
    [​IMG]

Grantland recently did a study to find the fastest teams in the NFL. Where do the Chicago Bears rank and what are they doing about it?

Chicago ranks just ahead of dead last New England Patriots on speed scale

Nothing changes the complexion of a game more than speed in pro football. Al Davis of the Oakland Raiders coveted that single statistic more than anything because it allowed his teams to constantly stay on the attack. It’s also the one factor of an athlete that can get them into the league by itself. So Grantland decided to see what the fastest teams are. This was done by adding the collective 40-yard dash times of the skill position players.

The results were somewhat surprising. Coming in first were the Tennessee Titans with a speed rating of 45.33. Right behind them were Washington, the New York Jets, Buffalo and Cleveland. All were non-playoff teams in 2013. So where were the Bears? They sat at the caboose, ranking 31st overall with a 46.74 rating, just ahead of the New England Patriots who were dead last at 47.30. Does this mean Chicago is handcuffed every Sunday?

Santonio Holmes and Chris Williams bring missing dimension

Ironically, some of the slowest teams on the list featured some of the best offenses. Denver was 28th, New Orleans was 30th and Green Bay was 25th. That is a testament to proving speed doesn’t win games, talent does. However, that hasn’t stopped those teams from continuing to seek out ways to take the top off defenses. Denver went after Emmanuel Sanders in free agency, who posted 4.4/40 speed in Pittsburgh. New Orleans drafted Brandin Cooks, who is already being billed as Rookie of the Year material thanks to his 4.33 combine. Green Bay kept adding to their deep receiving corps with 7th round pick Jeff Janis, who wowed scouts during the pre-draft with a 4.42 time.

So are the Chicago Bears content to live their lives as a slow offensive football team? Based on recent events, the answer would be an emphatic no. It started when they signed Chris Williams last December. The former New Mexico State receiver had spent his early years bouncing around the NFL before finding a home as a dominant return man in the CFL. His calling card? Teams were quick to notice the 4.39 speed, which he didn’t waste time flashing in Chicago with plays like this.

It hasn’t stopped there though. The Bears added to their growing inventory of speedsters when they signed veteran receiver Santonio Holmes. Coming out of college, he was clocked at a 4.38/40. Being 30-years old, it’s reasonable to think that has tapered off slightly but Holmes is still plenty fast, especially now that his surgically-repaired foot is healthy.

The scary thing to remember is Chicago has the second best offense in the league despite being one of the slowest. One can only imagine how things will change with more ways to attack defenses.
  2. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,913 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,760ß
    Interesting little statistic but overall it doesn't seem to mean all that much as far a teams success goes. I question the value of simply adding up the collective 40 yard dash times of a bunch of offensive players and using it to evaluate anything.

Devin Hester is very fast but couldn't always get open or hold onto a football. Johnny Knox faired somewhat better but who would Jay Cutler rather have as his starting WRs. Hester and Knox or Marshall and Jeffery. I rest my case.
    • Like Like x 2
  3. Bearstuff

Bearstuff Yes, in the woods. Staff Member SuperFan

Ratings:
    +1,146 / 3 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    517ß
    I think we all know that speed doesn't equal open or hard to tackle. Plus, what does the 40 time tell you about chip blocks, jams at the LOS, cut backs, breaking tackles, etc?
    Further, who cares how fast Cutler is (thought I would imagine he is faster than many QB's)?
  4. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,913 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,760ß
    Speed without execution won't do a team any good as we found out with Hester and Al Davis found out many times.

But we do have a couple of real speedsters at WR so I hope we get some big play mileage out of them over the course of the years. If they both make the team that is.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. shark86x

shark86x Pro-Bowler SuperFan

Ratings:
    +666 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    264ß
    so the difference between the fastest and the slowest is a whole 1.97 seconds? There's speed and then there's speed. Take soccer, you can be the fastest guy on the field, but if you can't bring the ball with you, you're useless. I'll take a guy that is quick on his feet and can make cuts and turns over a guy with balls out straight ahead speed.

I have no problem being last or close to last in this category.
    • Like Like x 2
  6. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,913 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,760ß
    I posted this as an example of what analyticals do when they've run out of fingers and toes to count and someone else has covered most everything else. :bah: It's informative but useless as far as gauging how good a team is.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. DaTreeBears

DaTreeBears Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +677 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    376ß
    So if NFL was a swim meet this may mean something when talking tenths of seconds, otherwise it looks to me the slower teams have more football smarts.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. mdbearz

mdbearz Veteran

Ratings:
    +284 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    25ß
    Useless stat. It actually proves that speed kills.
  9. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,465 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    906ß
    That is misleading. Our top-4 big WR's are very fast for big men. The slowest of the lot is Brandon Marshall who has excellent speed for a 6'4" WR. His 40 is listed as 4.52. Alshon and Morgan are both listed at 4.47. Again, for big powerful WR's this is pretty fast. Santonio Holmes is listed at 4.38 according to his Wiki. Chris Williams is a small WR, but he clocked in at 4.39 at the Combine. I'll take these "slow" times any day.
  10. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Position Coach

Ratings:
    +1,663 / 7 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    919ß
    I will take the slowest offense in the league (hell, by 10 seconds even... I don't care) as long as it can continue to be the second ranked offense.

Let's not talk about meaningless stats. Speed is good, but it is a component that figures into how effective an offense is. If you have one of the top two offenses, does it matter? Yes, I'd like to get faster, but IMO we have more important issues right now. Not to say this should not be a goal, but a more noble goal would be for writers to find something relevent.
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
  11. kevperro

kevperro Veteran

Ratings:
    +75 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    73ß
    Yea... one of the best teams of the last decade is dead last. There is nothing wrong with having some balance with a speedster along with some big guys. The overall combined group metric is pretty much worthless though.
  12. butkus3595

butkus3595 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +604 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    319ß
    I find 40 times to be somewhat useless. At no point in time will a player be in their under wear, in a track stance, get to start when they want, and run directly in a straight line during a game. I'll take 5-10-5 times over 40 times.
    • Like Like x 1
  13. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,465 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    906ß
    Exactly. Would folks rather have a fast Devin Hester or a Brandon Marshall as our #1 WR?
    • Like Like x 2
  14. Bearstuff

Bearstuff Yes, in the woods. Staff Member SuperFan

Ratings:
    +1,146 / 3 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    517ß
    Good point butkus3595, since all of the folks running during a play react to the snap count, reaction time is just as important as straight line speed. Further, the defender's reaction time factors heavily too, only not just to the snap but to the player in front of them's movements.
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Jimmors

Jimmors The Rhymenoceros Staff Member SuperFan

Ratings:
    +4,506 / 8 / -6
    ßearz ßuckz:
    816ß
    Because the season hasnt started yet, so any story is a story.

But yeah...collective 40 yard times are only useful in telling you how the team's players did at the 40 yard dash during their combines. Thats about it.
  16. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Position Coach

Ratings:
    +1,663 / 7 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    919ß
    Or for when your boss tells you to write a story and you don;t actually have any clue as to how to come up with one even though your business card says you do.
  17. MikeGolf97

MikeGolf97 Rookie

Ratings:
    +39 / 2 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    46ß
    The 40 yard dash could be the most overblown drill at the combine. If they were in full pads and cleats I might care more. Al Davis loved to find and over draft the guys with the fastest 40 time, and they have been the team to beat for so long right?
  18. dachuckster

dachuckster Veteran SuperFan

Ratings:
    +341 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    173ß
    I think the 40 time has value but it needs to be kept in perspective. For DB, TE, WR, LB and DB it has meaning. If you are looking at a WR or a CB you want to know what their raw foot-speed is. Not that it is the gold standard or anything like that. But you might not want a WR with a 40 time over 5 seconds.

But I agree that some of the reliance on these stats is ridiculous. And in the context of this thread, the use of a team's average 40 speed as a meaningful stat is laughable.