Bears Injury Fest: Earl Bennett, Kelvin Hayden most serious

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by riczaj01, Aug 4, 2013.

1. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka
    SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    3,706ß
    Please Register or Log in to Remove this Advertisement!
    http://www.suntimes.com/sports/foot...-earl-bennett-kelvin-hayden-most-serious.html

BY ADAM L. JAHNS ajahns@suntimes.com August 3, 2013 11:18PM

Updated: August 4, 2013 2:39AM

It doesn’t matter where the Bears are, injuries continue to be a nagging issue in training camp. Players were coming off the field and meeting with the training staff at a startling rate Saturday during “Family Fest” at Soldier Field.
    Those hurt included wide receiver Earl Bennett (possible concussion), defensive end Julius Peppers (tight hamstring), wide receiver Alshon Jeffery (tight hamstring), nickel back Kelvin Hayden (left hamstring strain) and rookie defensive end Cornelius Washington (left elbow sprain).
    Bennett’s and Hayden’s injuries sound like the most serious with the team saying Peppers and Jeffery were held out for precautionary reasons.
    Bennett, who has a concussion history, was hit hard Friday at the end of practice by linebacker James Anderson in the end zone. He took off his helmet after the hit while sitting on the field. Hayden is considered “week-to-week” by the team.
    The good news is that defensive end Corey Wootton (hip) was able to participate in individual position drills.
    “I’m feeling better,” Wootton said. “I did individuals today. I just kind of tweaked it, and I’m just trying to get back into the swing of things.”
    Offensive tackle Jonathan Scott (knee), defensive lineman Jamaal Anderson (knee), left tackle Jermon Bushrod (calf strain) and linebacker D.J. Williams (calf strain) continued to sit out practice.
    The new guy
    Tight end Leonard Pope participated in his first practice after signing a one-year deal with the Bears after a visit Friday.
    Pope has totaled 105 receptions for 982 yards and 11 touchdowns in 103 career games, starting 51 games with the Arizona Cardinals (2006-08), Kansas City Chiefs (2009-11) and Pittsburgh Steelers (2012).
    Pope has “no doubt” he has a chance to make the team.
    “It’s not going to be easy,” Pope said. “I’ve got to work my way. But I’ve been in the league for eight years now, and I know what it takes to be the type of player that you need to be.”
    Hester attitude ‘great’
    Without offensive or defensive drills to worry about, Devin Hester has a lot of time on his hands as a dedicated kick returner. But he has handled that situation well, special-teams coordinator Joe DeCamillis said.
    ‘‘His attitude has been great,’’ DeCamillis said. ‘‘He’s been great from the start. We talked early on. We’ve got a lot of work to do, but I really like where his mental point is.’’

2. Grizzblue

Grizzblue Pro-Bowler

ßearz ßuckz:
    512ß
    Well that didn't take long for Bennett to get hurt. Door is wide open for Anderson/Wilson IMO to show what they can do.

• Like Like x 1
  3. EmeryBored

EmeryBored Rookie

ßearz ßuckz:
    13ß
    Ugh, Bennett.

4. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

ßearz ßuckz:
    942ß
    This means nothing. We live in the age of twitter, so news that wasn't normally getting out before becomes accessible by the masses. This leads to over-analyzation by everyone. Nothing out of the ordinary is going on, and Bennett will be fine.

• Like Like x 2
  5. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka
    SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    3,706ß
    Henry, the guy is now a concussion risk. It is an issue, a rather large one. Concussions don't become fewer and fewer, they become more frequent, and WR's take a ton of hits.

• Like Like x 1
  6. MPbears68

MPbears68 Hall of Famer

ßearz ßuckz:
    1,261ß
    Ric has a point. It's probably not a major issue for now coming into the meaningless preseason games, but Earl has a history of not being able to stay healthy during the RS too. I really like Bennett and think he could be productive in this offense but he's gotta stay on the damn field (I have similar concerns about Wootton to even though he's coming back soon). I don't see this threatening his roster spot yet but if he has an injury plagued PS you might wonder whether the team wants to pay a guy a couple million bucks this year who can't seem to stay active for more than about 6-8 straight games. If EB once again misses substantial time during the RS, hmmmm, probably his last year with the team and time to move on.

I know every August there's dings and such, but damn we seem to have had quite a few pulls and strains already considering not a single snap has even been played in a preseason game yet. Makes you wonder a little about the conditioning regime.

7. Grizzblue

Grizzblue Pro-Bowler

ßearz ßuckz:
    512ß
    Yeah, the concussion thing is an issue. Bennett never can play a month without missing a game to begin with and now he's a concussion risk? Combine that with the stricter rules regarding head injuries and its a factor.

Mp I agree, another injury filled season and I would assume he isn't around next year. Can't really pay they guy that kind of money to play half of RS games

8. lklrlolnlilklsox

lklrlolnlilklsox Position Coach

ßearz ßuckz:
    250ß
    So many of these leg fatigue injuries.

9. MPbears68

MPbears68 Hall of Famer

ßearz ßuckz:
    1,261ß
    As in....Joe Anderson may very well take over the #3/slot WR spot if he continues to come on and Mr. Glass can't stay on the field again. I really like what EB does out there when he's in the groove but damn he misses a lot of time.

10. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka
    SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    3,706ß
    It'd be nice if the team could develop Jeffery/Anderson/Wilson and Toliver to be the future crop in 1-3 years. Bears w/Drake couldn't develop 1 in 10

• Like Like x 1