Bears Injury Fest: Earl Bennett, Kelvin Hayden most serious

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by riczaj01, Aug 4, 2013.

1. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,327 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,506ß
    http://www.suntimes.com/sports/foot...-earl-bennett-kelvin-hayden-most-serious.html

BY ADAM L. JAHNS ajahns@suntimes.com August 3, 2013 11:18PM

Updated: August 4, 2013 2:39AM

It doesn’t matter where the Bears are, injuries continue to be a nagging issue in training camp. Players were coming off the field and meeting with the training staff at a startling rate Saturday during “Family Fest” at Soldier Field.
    Those hurt included wide receiver Earl Bennett (possible concussion), defensive end Julius Peppers (tight hamstring), wide receiver Alshon Jeffery (tight hamstring), nickel back Kelvin Hayden (left hamstring strain) and rookie defensive end Cornelius Washington (left elbow sprain).
    Bennett’s and Hayden’s injuries sound like the most serious with the team saying Peppers and Jeffery were held out for precautionary reasons.
    Bennett, who has a concussion history, was hit hard Friday at the end of practice by linebacker James Anderson in the end zone. He took off his helmet after the hit while sitting on the field. Hayden is considered “week-to-week” by the team.
    The good news is that defensive end Corey Wootton (hip) was able to participate in individual position drills.
    “I’m feeling better,” Wootton said. “I did individuals today. I just kind of tweaked it, and I’m just trying to get back into the swing of things.”
    Offensive tackle Jonathan Scott (knee), defensive lineman Jamaal Anderson (knee), left tackle Jermon Bushrod (calf strain) and linebacker D.J. Williams (calf strain) continued to sit out practice.
    The new guy
    Tight end Leonard Pope participated in his first practice after signing a one-year deal with the Bears after a visit Friday.
    Pope has totaled 105 receptions for 982 yards and 11 touchdowns in 103 career games, starting 51 games with the Arizona Cardinals (2006-08), Kansas City Chiefs (2009-11) and Pittsburgh Steelers (2012).
    Pope has “no doubt” he has a chance to make the team.
    “It’s not going to be easy,” Pope said. “I’ve got to work my way. But I’ve been in the league for eight years now, and I know what it takes to be the type of player that you need to be.”
    Hester attitude ‘great’
    Without offensive or defensive drills to worry about, Devin Hester has a lot of time on his hands as a dedicated kick returner. But he has handled that situation well, special-teams coordinator Joe DeCamillis said.
    ‘‘His attitude has been great,’’ DeCamillis said. ‘‘He’s been great from the start. We talked early on. We’ve got a lot of work to do, but I really like where his mental point is.’’
  2. Grizzblue

Grizzblue Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +483 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    92ß
    Well that didn't take long for Bennett to get hurt. Door is wide open for Anderson/Wilson IMO to show what they can do.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. EmeryBored

EmeryBored Rookie

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Ugh, Bennett.
  4. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,542 / 8 / -10
    ßearz ßuckz:
    545ß
    This means nothing. We live in the age of twitter, so news that wasn't normally getting out before becomes accessible by the masses. This leads to over-analyzation by everyone. Nothing out of the ordinary is going on, and Bennett will be fine.
    • Like Like x 2
  5. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,327 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,506ß
    Henry, the guy is now a concussion risk. It is an issue, a rather large one. Concussions don't become fewer and fewer, they become more frequent, and WR's take a ton of hits.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,376 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    400ß
    Ric has a point. It's probably not a major issue for now coming into the meaningless preseason games, but Earl has a history of not being able to stay healthy during the RS too. I really like Bennett and think he could be productive in this offense but he's gotta stay on the damn field (I have similar concerns about Wootton to even though he's coming back soon). I don't see this threatening his roster spot yet but if he has an injury plagued PS you might wonder whether the team wants to pay a guy a couple million bucks this year who can't seem to stay active for more than about 6-8 straight games. If EB once again misses substantial time during the RS, hmmmm, probably his last year with the team and time to move on.

I know every August there's dings and such, but damn we seem to have had quite a few pulls and strains already considering not a single snap has even been played in a preseason game yet. Makes you wonder a little about the conditioning regime.
  7. Grizzblue

Grizzblue Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +483 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    92ß
    Yeah, the concussion thing is an issue. Bennett never can play a month without missing a game to begin with and now he's a concussion risk? Combine that with the stricter rules regarding head injuries and its a factor.

Mp I agree, another injury filled season and I would assume he isn't around next year. Can't really pay they guy that kind of money to play half of RS games
  8. lklrlolnlilklsox

lklrlolnlilklsox Position Coach

Ratings:
    +316 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    61ß
    So many of these leg fatigue injuries.
  9. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,376 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    400ß
    As in....Joe Anderson may very well take over the #3/slot WR spot if he continues to come on and Mr. Glass can't stay on the field again. I really like what EB does out there when he's in the groove but damn he misses a lot of time.
  10. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,327 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,506ß
    It'd be nice if the team could develop Jeffery/Anderson/Wilson and Toliver to be the future crop in 1-3 years. Bears w/Drake couldn't develop 1 in 10
    • Like Like x 1
  11. 4dabers

4dabers Veteran DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +747 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    89ß
    I think all Henry is saying is that we now hear things immediately without any support. For all we know the "possible concussion" is just the writers take without any support. It may be an issue as concussions are very serious concerns these days. However, at the risk of sounding like I'm putting words in Henry's mouth, he's just suggesting we don't get wrapped up in every tweak that is tweeted coming out of twaining camp.;)
    • Like Like x 2
  12. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,327 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,506ß
    I would by that 4da if it was via a tweet from that practice but this was from an article and multiple articles are saying possible concussions
  13. lklrlolnlilklsox

Ratings:
    +316 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    61ß
    Teams are required to put out an accurate football injury report as part of the CBA. They read them off during media sessions. Any journalist who published a fabricated injury report without disclaimer would be fired on the spot.
  14. GermansbombedPH

GermansbombedPH Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +53 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    30ß
    wouldn't surprise me if Bennett is out of the league within the next 2 years. This sucks and is one option less
  15. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,542 / 8 / -10
    ßearz ßuckz:
    545ß
    There's a Jets beat reporter that took a joke made by one of the linebackers in relation to Milliner wearing number 23 and took it as some kind of a "calling out". Just one example of no investigation going into "tweet journalism" (don't get me wrong, I like the news updates, but seeing as this is still a relatively new phenomenon with the NFL, putting too much stock into constant updates may be counter-productive) and no repurcussions.
  16. lklrlolnlilklsox

Ratings:
    +316 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    61ß
    Really, you're comparing a bad story tweeted to outright fabrication of bullet-point facts in a major newspaper? Grasping at straws, homey, grasping at straws.

Earl Bennett MAY have a concussion, no need to blow this out of proportion as some like GBPH has in prognosticating his career's demise. It is, however, not a fabrication. These guys are handled with such kid gloves with head injuries (especially outside of the season), and with such awareness and all the overreaction bullshit with concussions, I think it's becoming a terrible trend with fans blowing up every one that happens. Not all concussions are the same, and not all athletes are the same, the fact that they are attaching "possible" to the front of this one tells me not to worry or look too hard into it.
  17. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,542 / 8 / -10
    ßearz ßuckz:
    545ß
    That was just an example I've seen this offseason. One tends to be skeptical after this happens multiple times. Again, none of the concerns I've brought up are at odds with what happened on the field. I just think that overall, there's nothing to be outright worried about as far as the number of injuries, and given that reporters are almost required to race one another to tweet, there's BOUND to be some conclusions drawn too early. e.g. wait til we hear from the doctor if it looks bad. No point in worrying before then.
  18. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,376 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    400ß
    Well, lets hope EB doesn't have a concussion and is ok. A healthy Bennett for a full year is definitely an asset and he's way more NFL polished than the young guys behind him like Anderson and Wilson.
  19. Mr. Deliverance

Mr. Deliverance Guest

Ratings:
    +109 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Concussions are no joke. However, how about some of our defensive players quit trying to knock our O players out. Save that for the opposition during preseason and the regular season. These guys need to relax.
  20. Mr. Deliverance

Mr. Deliverance Guest

Ratings:
    +109 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Travis Best was a very talented back. Concussions can destroy a career real fast. I wouldn't down play that one bit. You don't want a player out there with a scrambled head. Its a far more serious injury than any of these leg injuries the players have been having.
    • Like Like x 1