Bears keep tabs on RB James White

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by little bear, Apr 15, 2014.

1. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,699 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    641ß
    someone else talked about how WP was the same size as White and therefore you cannot take his size into account. I pointed out that DL are MUCH bigger then what they wee in the 70's and 80's and it wasn't a fair comparrison, I NEVER mentioned WP's college days.

AND NO the VAST majority of the players in college will not be in the pro's. There are 25 thousand some odd players in college there are less then 2K so who they are playing in college will likely not be seen in the pro's.

The average size of EVERY player in the NFL has drastically gone up, except RB, and you have now seen the players NFL life expectancy gone down b/c of it. Ya there are outliers like Sproles or Shady, but a 6ft+ 200+ lb rb is going to be more durable then a small guy is if you are talking about carryin the load in a few years, which many are b/c Forte is "getting old" for rb's.
  2. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,725 / 3 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,256ß
    You post that linemen in the '80 went 250-280lbs and then say he didn't go up against players that size. How can you be so wrong so often? You even contradict your own statements. And can we not compare some of Matt Forte's workouts to Walter's? He's doing hills pulling a sled behind him. You need to pay more attention to your team.

Steve McMichael DT; 275-280lbs
    William Perry DT; 313-330lbs
    Richard Dent DE; 265-275lbs
    Dan Hampton DE/DT; 265-275lbs
    Mike Hartenstine DE; 270-275lbs

Those were the Bears starters in the '80s and Walter went up against them every day. Two of them are in the HOF and McMichael probably deserves some consideration too. I'm sure I could find others from '80s NFL teams who were also that big just as I'm sure I could find quite a few today that are similar size. If Walter was such an outlier then how about Barry Sanders, and Emmett Smith and later Curtis Martin and quite a few other who went around 200-205lbs and were very successful back? Do you think they'd be any less effective today than they were then? Sanders would have broken Walter's rushing record had he not retired and Emmitt Smith did. Both were around 200-205lbs give or take a few.

Like I said. The argument about size is null and void with many backs who aren't used as power backs. Does Matt Forte at 6'2" 217lbs pack more wallop than a back 5" short who only weighs 13lbs less? You simply don't like White or you want a bigger back. That's fine but stop putting down White because you THINK he might be ineffective when so far in his college career he's been anything but. Have you even seen even one UW game? Some of us have so we've actually seen him run. By the way White's running mate at UW was Monte Ball. He's only 5'10" and 215 lbs (208lbs in college) and the starting back for the Broncos. His running mate is Ronnie Hillman and he's 5'10" 195lbs. How they ever got to a SB without a 230lb RB is a mystery to me. Maybe you can explain that because I can't.

I just wanted to point out to once again this year just how ridiculous some of your assumptions are Ric. Just like your assumption last year that McCown isn't even an NFL level QB last year. Feeling a little foolish now? No? Well you should be. OK, now back on ignore.
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2014
    • Like Like x 2
  3. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,725 / 3 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,256ß
    You simply cannot convince Ric of anything he is 100% certain of being right about. Just like last summer when he claimed that Josh McCown should even be playing in the NFL because he didn't even have NFL talent. He was 100% sure he was right about that too. He's all knowing and always right until proven wrong and then he'll just find something else to feel 100% right about. I didn't respond to his post for his benefit. I did for everyone else's.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,699 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    641ß
    There is soul, who was 100% convinced that Shea was a 3 down 4-3 DE, and all who opposed that view was 100% football ignorant, to the point that he left the site to talk to "intellegent" fans.

lol good ol soul talking shit and being a hypocrite.

Ya I was wrong on McCown, but the theory was sound, he was a career turnover machine and out of the league coaching HS, so me, most NFL fans, and EVERY GM in the NFL other then Emery and Trestman were wrong on him; my bad. Soul hit on 20 and got an ace and were running around screaming how great they were...congrats man you got 1 right finally.

and to be fair, if I could never admit my mistakes, then how come I admitted I was wrong about Long? Hmm when's the last time you admitted Bush was a bad signing, or the slew of bad backup rb's before him that you thought were good pick ups...how about that ol QB coach from Den that you insisted was going to turn the Bears O around; did you ever talk about how wrong you were on that; or did you just sulk off to whatever board would not lol at you for your moronic statements?

and btw, I'm all for any qb that trestman wants now, if he can work miracles w/McCown he can do it w/anyone.
  5. omc1969

omc1969 Veteran

Ratings:
    +203 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    26ß
    Come on ric, don't put words in my mouth that I didn't say. READ my post. I said SOME, NOT the vast majority. We can disagree but please don't misquote me simply to make a point. Thanks.
  6. 4dabers

4dabers Veteran DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +677 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    51ß
    Geez guys, I can't believe you're getting all bent about a comparison between two running backs 30 years apart. I'm glad it's Friday and I suggest participation in a Happy Hour somewhere. :cheers:

I think we need to get to this damn draft; we're all getting metaphorical cabin fever.:36 11 20[1]:
  7. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,699 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    641ß
    OMC SOME Vast Majority, both are references that are WAY to high, about 1 in 15-20 guys that play in college will end up in the NFL. Chances of a guy having to face an entire DL of NFL linemen in college is so remote that it's not worth looking up the last time it happened.
    BUT in the NFL he will be facing big fast strong nfl linemen every week, and those taare the guys most likely to tackle him; ya again there are exceptions to the rule, but they aren't the norm.
    IF you want a change of pace back, I'm all about htis guy, if you are looking for someone to potentially replace Forte b/c of inj or age , give me a much bigger back.
  8. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,725 / 3 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,256ß
    Why not. That one of his "plays". He either pretends he doesn't "get it" or he truly doesn't "get it". Either way it's useless to debate him because he'll only twist your words, use false logic, and state his unchallengeable opinions as facts instead of what they really are. I stopped debating him long ago because he'll just dodge any facts you or I or anyone else may present and simply substitute that with his own reality and emotions.

My ex-wife was like that. "Don't confuse me with facts my minds made up". I ditched those arguments 16 years ago and I don't feel like going down those roads again. It was just last year that my head finally stopped hurting from banging it against a wall. Ric would like to be that new wall and I'm refusing that opportunity. The Tylenol was getting too expensive.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. omc1969

omc1969 Veteran

Ratings:
    +203 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    26ß
    If you are saying that SOME is way too high then you missed my point entirely. I simply ask you NOT to misquote me in a effort to make a point whatever it is. I'm now done with this thread.
  10. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,725 / 3 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,256ß
    I gotta pass on the happy hour for now brother. These days I substituted the drinking problem with a guitar addiction. LOL

The thing is I'm not comparing James White to anyone. I'm simply countering the argument that he's too small, or his hands are too small or he can't block anyone or a dozen other things that either aren't true or have any bearing on whether he can play in the NFL. Jeezus I never said he was a 1st round pick. He's guy you might take a shot with late in the draft. Ric just like's to play his usual game of twisting what people say to fit his own interpretation of it and I don't like his rules.
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2014
  11. 4dabers

Ratings:
    +677 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    51ß
    Well I'll handle that for ya! You can live vicariously through me (for the booze), and since you're divorced (if I remember correctly), I'll live vicariously through you (for the women). Since you are a musician, I'm counting on lots and lots of hot groupies!!! I'll send you pics of my naked drinks and you send me pics of your naked...well...as long as you like girls. Not that there is anything wrong with...oh nevermind.:lol3:
    • Like Like x 3
  12. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,725 / 3 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,256ß

Oh, I love women brother. It's wives I seem to have developed an allergy to. After two shots at it and a failed engagement with one who was twice as crazy as the average of the women I've been involved with I gave up on long term mortgages on my life and have opted for weekend rentals and shorter term leases instead. I'm a better risk manager now and it's safer.

I'm getting older and so are the groupies and far less of them too. Imagine the "Banger Sisters", in retirement from had core groupying, LOL. Now it's more like "groping" for opportunities now. :bah:
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Hall of Famer

Ratings:
    +1,309 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    394ß
    Groping is good... I like groping
    • Like Like x 1
  14. omc1969

omc1969 Veteran

Ratings:
    +203 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    26ß
    Yeah I don't think any of us would consider him a 1st rounder ................ or any other RB these days as they have been devalued quite a bit. I do see him as a viable change of pace back though, especially if they can teach him to block B/C we know he can run and catch really well.
    ;-)
  15. 4dabers

Ratings:
    +677 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    51ß