"Bears lose Nate Collins for season, another crushing DT loss"

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by The Benjamin, Oct 7, 2013.

1. omc1969

omc1969 Veteran

Ratings:
    +202 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    26ß
    Jeff Dickerson from (gag) ESPN says that he has already turned down offers from the 49'ers and Lions ........... Not enough $ so that pretty much leaves the Bears out of the running. Seymore made 15 Million last year with the Raiders. So much for that option.
    :(
  2. BradMustersGhost

BradMustersGhost Veteran

Ratings:
    +267 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    94ß
    hahha, at this point, that might be YOU, omc1969!!!
    • Like Like x 1
  3. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,064 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    324ß
    Might have to suit-up Virginia McCaskey at some point if we lose too many more DL. But isn't she almost as old as Pep?

[​IMG]
    • Like Like x 3
  4. omc1969

omc1969 Veteran

Ratings:
    +202 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    26ß
    Not at MY age.
    You think Peppers is old ............ I wouldn't make it through 1 game.
    :D
  5. ZifanQ

ZifanQ Pro-Bowler SuperFan

Ratings:
    +139 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    26ß
    Unless Emery can find a hidden gem out there I don't see the passrush/d is getting back in shape any time soon.. Football sucks every now and then :/
    • Like Like x 1
  6. BradMustersGhost

BradMustersGhost Veteran

Ratings:
    +267 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    94ß
    oh, it ain't getting any better this season, that much is certain. We are just going to have to PRAY that Emery can work a miracle (or two) this off-season. I think that it is fair to say that our 2014 Draft is going to be pretty damn important, haha!
    • Like Like x 1
  7. JPosh2012

JPosh2012 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +86 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    I'd retire if I made $15 Million last year personally.
  8. Bearstuff

Bearstuff Yes, in the woods. Staff Member SuperFan

Ratings:
    +1,051 / 3 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    398ß
    Available as of today:

Defensive Tackle
    Sione Po'uha
    Richard Seymour (DE in 3-4)
    Corey Williams
    Justin Bannan (DE in 3-4)
    Shaun Cody
    Rocky Bernard
    Spencer Johnson
    Ron Edwards
    Antonio Garay
    Ty Warren (DE in 3-4)
    Casey Hampton
    Anthony Hargrove (DE in 3-4)
    Ma'ake Kemoeatu
    Antonio Dixon
    Trevor Laws
    Shaun Smith
    Matt Toeaina
    Ryan McBean
    Eric Foster
    Daniel Muir
    Torell Troup
    Ron Brace
    Ogemdi Nwagbuo
    Jarron Gilbert
    Myron Pryor
    Corvey Irvin
    Frank Okam
    Brian Price
    Will Tukuafu
    Jerrell Powe
    Kyle Love
    Lamar Divens
    Ra’Shon “Sunny” Harris
    Andre Neblett
    Brian Schaefering
    Jeris Pendleton
    Kheeston Randle
  9. DavidL

DavidL Pro-Bowler SuperFan

Ratings:
    +632 / 5 / -22
    ßearz ßuckz:
    516ß
    Bears have 27 players whose contracts expire at end of this season. Clean house enough to afford a couple free agents on defense like we did this year with Bushrod and Bennett. Add a couple DL from the draft like we did for OL with Long and Mills this year. I think that is possible, but depends on how well Emery can draft and manage the salary cap. Guys like Cutler, Hester, and peppers should get contracts structured to free up money to rebuild the defense, For example, Hester is getting a lot of money to watch kickoffs sail over his head. Relative to production, Peppers and Hester are our most overpaid players, and I enjoy watching Hester like any other Bears fan.
  10. BradMustersGhost

BradMustersGhost Veteran

Ratings:
    +267 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    94ß
    DavidL, another outstanding post! You have to think that Emery is going to take full advantage of all of those expiring contracts. Surely he realizes (as we all do) that the DL basically requires a complete overhaul. (a la the OL last year).
  11. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +2,064 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    324ß
    Your Cornelius Washington idea is growing on me. I went back and read scouting reports on him. It sounds like he's really a raw talent, but he does have some impressive attributes. I'd like to see more of him this year.
  12. BradMustersGhost

BradMustersGhost Veteran

Ratings:
    +267 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    94ß
    WE WANT CORN WASH!!! WE WANT CORN WASH!!!!!!
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Tarkus

Tarkus Veteran

Ratings:
    +270 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    These are the players ways of sticking it to the owners 'it's a business' mantra. Turnabout's fair play...
  14. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +2,064 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    324ß
    Well we have the "Mills Miracle" from the 5th round. Maybe we'll have the "Washington Whiz" from the 6th round too :)

DavidL will be able to say he "called it" from the beginning.

I'm ready for some good news of any kind. I really didn't think it was possible that our defensive line would be in this shape this season. It was a shock to me.
  15. DavidL

Ratings:
    +632 / 5 / -22
    ßearz ßuckz:
    516ß
    I follow him pretty closely. He was on the inactive list for Saints game. I don't know about Giants game. Here is another piece of CornWash trivia. He was top-3 in Georgia high school high hurdles at 220 pounds. He is a physical freak, but his pass rush technique is still pretty crude. That's what is holding him back at this point.
    • Like Like x 1
  16. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +2,064 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    324ß
    LOL, David, I don't know if his pass rushing could be more "crude" than what we're seeing now with our starters :-)

It's beyond "crude" and should be outright illegal to start a DL as bad as ours is right now.
  17. DavidL

Ratings:
    +632 / 5 / -22
    ßearz ßuckz:
    516ß
    Guys like Reggie White who are around 300 can mostly overpower people. In a couple years, if Cornwash bulks up about 30 more pounds, he could be more of a power rusher, He already has great strength --can bench press 500 pounds. But, if he stays around 265-270, he is going to need to rely on speed and finesse. I notice he lets tackles chase him out the backdoor instead of cutting the angle with his second step (Clay Matthews does this beautifully). Also,he needs to develop swim, rip,spin moves after initial engagement. IOW, he needs coaching on this stuff. But I agree that the Bears should throw him in the mix this season and let him learn on the job. This guy has big-time upside potential.
  18. Seqq34

Seqq34 Rookie

Ratings:
    +50 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    The whole D sucks, not just the line lol LB's are the only somewhat bright spot and the Rook i want to see is on the sidelines most the game...They need to say screw it and just switch to a 3-4, get Bostic's energy out there, trade for a 3-4 DT, and move on...
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  19. Ojibway Bob

Ojibway Bob Veteran SuperFan

Ratings:
    +94 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    46ß
    hmmm so u all mean its not so simple as getting a tank of a man and tell him to eat the QB? get em!!!! ?
  20. A-11

A-11 Veteran

Ratings:
    +74 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    I with most of you all; Collin's injury adds to the growing attention the defense is demanding. Something will have to change this year, and especially this off season. I'm clueless but am wondering about:

1.) Mel Tucker: Is this the Defensive Coordinator for the future? I do not have enough to go on, production is down but what is the cause? The GM, HC, and Coordinator have to have plans, and they need results. Where are the Bears in this process? The person making the change needs to be addressed before you should make it.

2.) Same Scheme, New Scheme?: I have to admit (regardless of what has been said by the front office) that some people here have made good points based on the versatile personnel Emery has brought in that I could see a move into the 3-4 in the future. Still some missing pieces, but if an overhaul is required it might not be such a big surprise we see a nose tackle added.

3.) What don't we know rookie? I do not believe Bostic is an immediate solution. Perhaps I am spoiled, but I'm not seeing the LB core as our bright spot either. What I see in Bostic (or Greene) and CornWash is hope. They have showed talent, and I'm counting on them contributing but based on the line up, there are probably reasons they are inactive or on the sideline. The thing I did like was that when Williams was out, wasn't Bostic making the calls? Someone made a comment earlier but perhaps Briggs is a true soldier and would be better off left worrying about his duty and not everyone else.

4.) Tillman how much gas ya got? There is your bright spot, that's what your riding... How are the tires? Love the interior.

5.) What "if" you don't pay Cutler? I think Emery had a good year building personnel. Hester and Peppers are currently overpaid based on production so far. Cutler isn't but will be next year(s). 27 contracts ending... From some of the things Emery has said he believes in scouting and the draft. Only way to win extra talent vs. the cap. The flip side is that behind that talk, some of his best improvements have come through free agency. All I'm saying here is what resource pool are you going to allow to make this needed change and what is the non monetary cost?
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2013
    • Like Like x 1