Bears Mailbag; Michael C. Wright/ESPN

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by soulman, Apr 5, 2014.

1. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,761ß
    Chicago Bears

April, 5, 2014
    Apr 5
    9:00
    AM ET
    By Michael C. Wright | ESPN.com

[​IMG]
    rteem23
    @ryneteem

@mikecwright with the age of Roberto Garza, could the Bears be looking to add a Center in the draft? Or do they like Boggs?#bearsmailbag
    Apr. 4, 2014

@mikecwright: I think they’ve got some options on the current roster, but I wouldn’t rule out the possibility of the club adding a center in the draft. While Taylor Boggs is the only bona fide center on the roster outside of Roberto Garza, there might be a couple of other players capable of playing the position such as Eben Britton, who re-signed with the team on Thursday. While Britton is listed by the team as a guard, he played tackle mostly last season and he’s also taken some repetitions at center. I suspect backup tackle James Brown would also be capable of moving inside to center. So while it would probably be ideal to draft a center, I don’t think the position is an absolute must for the Bears. But I do think they’ll be looking in the later rounds to try to add a center.

[​IMG]
    Brian Prendergast
    @chibcp

@mikecwright with addition of allen, is safety the new target for first rd even if one of the big dt's is still available? #bearsmailbag
    Apr. 4, 2014

@mikecwright: It’s just my opinion, but I think a safety at No. 14 might be too rich for Chicago’s taste. The Bears did invest heavily in free agency on the defensive line, but I think it would be a mistake to assume the team would automatically focus on adding a safety with the first-round pick, even after the news circulated Thursday regarding Chris Conte being forced to miss significant time due to shoulder surgery. I just think at that 14th spot, there are going to be so many talented defensive linemen on the board that the Bears might not be able to pass up the value. Ultimately, though, it’s going to come down to how Chicago has stacked its board. If a safety is the top player on the team’s board when they pick, and he’s available, it’s obviously a no-brainer. But my guess is Chicago’s board will have many of the defensive linemen and cornerbacks stacked higher than the safeties. Besides that, I think the Bears could add a starting-caliber safety in the second round or maybe even later.

[​IMG]
    HalukTOzkan
    @nakzokulah

@mikecwright Do you think that T. Jernigan is a better fit for Bears at #14 instead of A. Donald due to size, run stuffing? #bearsmailbag
    Apr. 4, 2014

@mikecwright: At first glance, I would say yes. But if I’m looking at potential fits on Chicago’s roster, I’d say no. Why? Well, the Bears already have Jeremiah Ratliff in the fold, and when he’s healthy he’s a beast against the run and the pass. Ratliff isn’t the biggest guy in the world, but I think he possesses enough size to consistently be stout against the run. So when you look at that, maybe Aaron Donald would be a perfect fit as the three-technique, with Ratliff playing the nose. I think Timmy Jernigan is probably more scheme diverse than Donald, and that could be exactly what the Bears are looking for given they’ve added so many guys with that quality recently in free agency.

[​IMG]
    rj loebe
    @RJ3434

@mikecwright Do you believe with the re-signing of Britton that he could compete with Mills for the RT position? #bearsmailbag
    Apr. 4, 2014

@mikecwright: I know Jordan Mills dropped off somewhat from the beginning to the end of the season, but I don’t think it was significant enough that the Bears are looking to replace him in the starting lineup. Remember, Mills is coming off foot surgery. But it isn’t expected to force him to miss any significant portion of the club’s offseason program. I think Britton certainly has the ability and experience to seriously compete with Mills for that starting right tackle spot. But I also think the Bears are fairly happy with Mills, and expect him to improve in his second year. Mills to me has a very bright future in the NFL, and has the right attitude in terms of doing what it takes day in and day out to be a pro. To me, Britton is a versatile insurance policy that can come in and play well in the event of injury or subpar play from one of the starters.

[​IMG]
    1DJCLE
    @Clecoes

@mikecwright What type of position is Director of Player Engagement? #Bears
    Apr. 4, 2014

@mikecwright: It’s one where the person in the position winds up having to wear many hats. Isaiah Harris was the team’s director of player development, but left to join Lovie Smith in Tampa, which opened up the spot for the club’s new hire: Terry Cousin. Basically, this position focuses on the personal and professional development of the players through a variety of methods. For instance, prior to joining the Bears, Cousin held this position in Tampa Bay where he implemented a program called Buccaneer University designed to help players with continuing education, helping to set up internships and assisting with the players’ benefits, in addition to setting up financial services and education. Cousin will conduct himself very similarly with the Bears, and interestingly, I think Cousin is tailor-made for this type of position. I covered Cousin during his playing days in Jacksonville, and he was always a guy that looked beyond the game and at the bigger picture in terms of preparing for a life after football. He was also a mentor for the younger guys in the locker room back in those days. In Chicago, Cousin will almost instantly have credibility because he played 12 years in the NFL and was very successful.

In addition to some of the duties I described above, Cousin also will serve as a liaison between the players and the community relations department to make sure the players are involved in the community. Cousin will also help some of the rookies in their transition into the NFL in addition to taking the lead role in the relocation process for many of the players.
  2. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,761ß
    Some new opinions offered to the same old questions but food for thought anyway.
  3. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,596 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    645ß
    Nothing Wright said surprised me as I pretty much agree with all of it.

A Center draft pick would be nice in the latter draft but it's not a must-have. More of a "if the right guy is there it makes sense" kind of situation.

A Safety at 14 is a little rich for the Bears traditionally, Conte injury included. DL makes more sense given who's realistic to be available and Donald>Jernigan if all else is equal. I'd expect a S to be high priority target after the 1st though.
  4. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,761ß
    DT seems most likely if only because historically that's a position the Bears have drafted high often. Safety isn't. CB is a need but not an immediate one. As I was posting back to Benji. So far Emery as targeted his first two picks to positions of need and guy he believed could step in and contribute immediately. It would surprise me of he broke that pattern now especially with so many DL rated to go in one. If it is a surprise I still believe it'll be more the who than the what.
  5. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Coordinator

Ratings:
    +2,622 / 10 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    2,274ß
    Sounds like Chicago and Tampa are swapping spit.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Bearsinhouston

Ratings:
    +2,622 / 10 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    2,274ß
    That has been my analysis exactly. Except, S has moved up, so you never know. I still think DT though
  7. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,761ß

LOL, when I read the article on the Bears corporate site about his hire it called his position Director of Player Engagements which made be think he was brought in to get all of the single guys married off so they'd settle down like Cutler did after Kristin nailed him to her headboard.
  8. Bearsinhouston

Ratings:
    +2,622 / 10 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    2,274ß
    LOL!!!! I thought the very same thing!!! I can speak with the voice of authority when I tell you that your sense of humor is f**ked up!!!
    • Like Like x 1
  9. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,761ß
    Takes one to know one and you've been doing a fine job of it while I was on vacation if I do say so myself. LOL
  10. Bearsinhouston

Ratings:
    +2,622 / 10 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    2,274ß
    Exactly my point LOL
    • Like Like x 1
  11. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,793 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,987ß
    problem w/this theory is that it's a new GM/HC/DC so you can throw tradition right out the window, still might very well go DT/NT or even DE but it's not near the guarantee it would have been if Conte wasn't hurt. And while S if deep this year, FS is pretty damn thin. DT on the other hand is very deep through the first 4 rounds, even pass rushing guys can be had outside of the first.

Whats nice about this draft is you are getting a solid player at 14 no matter what way you go, DT, S, LB, CB, DE, NT, all will guys you'll see plenty of day 1, but none are going to be looked at as "elite" unless someone falls.
  12. Bearsinhouston

Ratings:
    +2,622 / 10 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    2,274ß
    Unless your initials are JA or your name is Jerry Jones
    • Like Like x 1