Bears May be Interested in Drafting DT Kelcy Quarles

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by BSBEARS, Mar 15, 2014.

1. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +763 / 4 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    753ß
  2. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,460 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    906ß
    I found that interesting.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +763 / 4 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    753ß
    I thought it was interesting as well and am thinking the Bears may be looking at Safety in rd 1 since the talent level drops off so fast.
  4. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,092 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,176ß
    Nope cannot possibly draft anything other then DT at 14, it's not allowed. To do such a thing is sacrilege.
    • Like Like x 2
  5. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +763 / 4 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    753ß
    Not you Too:lolsign:
    • Like Like x 1
  6. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,912 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,760ß
    We really can't put much stock in draft rumors right now and with Emery maybe not at all. He likes to pull surprises. From the looks of him and that pic he doesn't look like a 1st round guy and maybe not even a second round guy. I see a kid who look overweight and not all that muscular although some pro weight room work might help that. The other top DTs look much better but I suppose if we either lost out on both or Emery decides to draft a FS then they need to know as much about this kid as possible because he does seem to be a fit somewhere after the first round.

I could see him going after Ha Ha at #14 but I can also see him taking Donald especially if Melton dusts. In the Bears defense the 3 tech DT has always been a key to the pass rush because it's his penetration that makes it easier for the DEs to get sacks and hits. That was obvious in 2012 when Melton had his best year. I would agree that the talent at FS or even SS isn't as good farther down the line but there are still some kids who can play. There is no one else in this draft that as good a pass rushing DT as Donald. To me that trumps the FS spot every time but who knows how Emery will play it and we won't know until that pick hits Goddell.
    • Like Like x 2
  7. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +763 / 4 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    753ß
    Its a new defense and while Mel Tucker was in Jacksonville they always had bigger DT's. I am not so sure the Bears value the 3 technique currently as much as they did in the past. Not saying no value, just not as critical. With that said, I will not be disappointed no matter what they do as I would be happy with Donald, Jernigan, Ealy, Dix, Dennard, Mosley, Prior and Gilbert depending on how the Bears have them ranked from there scouting dept. By not addressing the CB or a top qualiity safety I am suspicious they will go after a CB or S early, potentially in rd 1. With DJ on a 1 year deal and Briggs contract up I would not be surprised to see Mosley come on board if he is on the board as Bostic is believed to be waiting his time for Briggs to move on. There are a lot of DT's in this draft that could be gotten in rd 2 or rd 3 even such as Quarles who can apply pressure on the QB and collapse the pocket. Over and above all these defensive players the draft is stocked with offensive talent which will leave many of these players on the board potentially into rd 3 that in normal years would be a first round talent . This draft is stacked with potentiallly good impact players and getting two or three of them at positions of need may dictate we do not go DT in Round 1. Ideally we will trade down a few spots and pick up an exta late 2nd or 3rd rd pick.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,912 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,760ß
    Not according to Emery. When he was asked about Melton he reconfirmed his interest in keeping him by saying the 3 tech DT position is the key to their pass rush. He also protected himself by making sure he signed Ratliff and Collins both of whom can play 3 tech pretty well and they can also play NT. That sets him up to take either Donald or Jernigan. Jernigan is probably the more versatile of the two whereas Donald is strictly a 4-3 3 tech guy but he's also the better pass rusher. In my book any time you get a shot at a Tommie Harris or Gerald McCoy type DT you take him and don't look back. McCoy is a wrecking ball in TB. Lovie has his All Pro 3 tech which is why he has no need to Melton.

I don't see Gilbert sticking around until #14 and I don't think they'll take a CB in one anyway. Jennings and Tillman are signed and paid as starters and most CBs who are drafted in the first round are taken to become immediate starters. Those guys usually slide in and play immediately. I'd never say never but I don't think a CB is at the top of their wish list yet. Maybe in second or third but I don't see it yet in one. When you have other needs it somewhat foolish to take a guy who won't be a starter.

Now Safety is another story. Ha Ha is a guy who should be there but if they take him then Conte is done for as far as competing for a starters spot. Once again they wouldn't use a first round pick on a guy they aren't gonna plan on starting day one. Pryor? Maybe but at #14 when there are still good DTs on the board? Mosley is a possibility too but he's seen by some as a top ten pick and there again you have the same deal as at CB. With Williams signed and paid to start will they spend that first pick on a guy for a position where they just signed their 2014 starter? They were forced to play a rookie at MLB last year after D.J went down and the run defense began to crumble. I don't know that they'd want to try that again.

I don't like Ealy that early at all and again after putting guaranteed money into both Houston and Young and having added two more FA DE earlier and with Wootton's fate still undetermined is DE really that big of a need any longer? Personally I'd rather have Wootton back than daft Ealy anyway. But anyway where DE was a huge need a week ago it no longer is. Emery plugged that hole this past week, twice, and twice before that with some vet run stopper kind of guys. I also wouldn't trade back for a guy or guys I really don't need. His first three picks need to start, play in rotation, or be serious challengers to start sometime in 2014.

So what I'm looking at is what hasn't he done yet what's very unlikely to be done yet in FA.

1) Unless Melton returns on his terms Emery needs another DT who can play 3 tech or one who can play both. Collins is only signed for 2014 and Paea's deal is up after this season too. I wouldn't call him a disappointment but his injuries have certainly had an impact on his play. The other issue with him is his size, or lack of it. If Tucker wants to get bigger anywhere along that line it should be at NT not 3 tech. You want sub 300lb guy playing there and 300lb plus guys at NT and Paea is more the size of a 3 tech which I suppose he could also play. So to me as it stands Emery still has a need for another DT to fill out his rotation. He has three starters now and he needs four.

2) If Ha Ha or maybe even Pryor is still on the board this is where the War Room wrangling may take place because FS is the only other glaring need on the defense now and all the top FAs are gone. I think it all depends on how confident they are that with some effort and a better pass rush Conte will turn his game around. If he can and he can show the kind of improvement we all expected to see in him last year and didn't then they can live with him at FS. But do that take that chance? Poor FS play cost us both points and games last year.

The nice thing about having that #14 pick is that Emery is pretty impervious to what the team in front of him do. There will be some top defensive players still on the board when his pick comes. I'm guessing at least three or four from your list. IMHO being in a position to choose from among several is a good place to be. We still haven't seen the second wave of FA through to it's completion yet so we have another week or two to go there and that may change things a bit more but given the situation today I think it comes down to one of those two positions and I think they'll be at least one prospect at each spot still there.

Beefing up the pass rush and stopping the run has to be priority number one but FS is the last line of defense so which will it be?
  9. mdbearz

mdbearz Veteran

Ratings:
    +284 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    25ß
    We are picking at 14 in one of the deepest drafts in a very long time. We need defense first and foremost and we shoud see at least one of the top level talents fall to us.

I tend to believe that someone will be there at 14 that will be too good to pass. But if there is another team that wants something that we do not need (like a QB or WR) and they are willing to give us a second and thier 1st pick is not too far down the board, then of course we do it.
  10. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +763 / 4 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    753ß
    Exactly and with all those 3 techniques on board I see Free Safety as more critical and after Dix and Prior the talent for a instant starter may not be there. I do not want Conte starting no way, no how.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +2,460 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    906ß
    Emery is trying to make strategic moves with the money he has available to put us in the best possible position for the draft. It's just trying to get the best overall bang for the buck. Other than Cutler, he's been pretty strategic with the money (that's not a criticism, but just saying it was a major outlay of money). But here's the deal IMHO........I think he probably sees this as a two year plan now. He'll do everything he can to put the best team on the field THIS year, while understanding it's going to take that second year's FA and draft to have the talent needed to be a top-tier team. It's a two year journey at this point. We take a step in the right direction this year, and the second step is 2015.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +2,460 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    906ß
    Regarding the draft, who really knows what Phil Emery will do? Did anyone foresee how the draft went down last year? I was really really surprised from the Long move right out of the chute, and the others too. I expect he'll surprise us all again this year too.
  13. Grizzblue

Grizzblue Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +455 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    65ß
    Only way this is the case is if we are looking at a dramatic scheme change. In any 4 man front the 3 is crucial in pass rush to press the pocket in order to disallow step up lanes. When this happens it disallows the qb's vision and leaves no escape for our DE's once they (hopefully) pinch the pocket and come free. You may be correct though if Shea is really playing sam this year. If we are looking at more blitzes (esp from him) in passing situations then you are not relying AS MUCH on the penetration. You can get by with occupying the center and both guards with two larger DTs. and leaving 3 one on ones that someone needs to cash in on. Either way, I'm not confident in Collins and Paea playing that position but I can see both sides of the coin.
    • Like Like x 1
  14. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,912 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,760ß
    All what 3 techs? The only two that I would call sure things as day one starters/major contributors are Donald and Jernigan and Jernigan is actually more of a NT who could play some 3 tech much like Paea. There may be depth but the caliber of most is suspect and questions abound. I agree there are more DTs but few that come close to these two as far as their productivity and promise. Go big or go home I say.

Obviously I don't feel that Conte is a lost cause like you do. You can correct me if I'm wrong but I believe that you and thousands of other Bears fans are way too emotional about this guy and putting way to much emphasis on his mistakes in that last GB game. In a well schemed and well run defense with a half way decent pass rush he looked like an up and comer in 2012. We all had a right to expect further improvement last year but not only did he regress but the whole damn defense did. The only guy who was even close to duplicating his 2012 season was Peanut and he missed half the season. Even Jennings stats were down.

That secondary was a mess and Wright was even more confused by the coverage schemes and playing even worse than Conte was. Emery has already said he'll get a chance to keep his job and if he didn't mean that then why didn't he make a FS his priority instead of a DE? If cap strapped NOLA could find a way to afford Byrd then Emery could have done it even more easily. The kid out of GB who he did sign doesn't appear to be any better at playing FS so I'm gonna assume he's there as much to play STeams as anything else. There were better choices still on the market than the Jennings kid.

All that said, like you I will have no problem at all as long as Phil covers one of those needs. He just has to decide which is more critical and right now they're about even. We still lack any impact pass rushers so it's gonna be pass rush by committee unless we improve there. And as it stands I don't see a FS on the roster who I think is any better than Conte. So if Phil takes Ha Ha who reminds me of Mark Carrier or Pryor who may well be another Ronnie Lott as a hitter and intimidator then he will still have filled an urgent need there as well. I just want him to lock up a potential impact player in this draft and I always look at DLinemen more in that regard than I do Safeties. The rest of the NFL seems to value them higher as well since DTs usually make a lot more $$$ than Safeties do.

Over the years the Bears have gotten a lot of mileage out of Safeties who were drafted after the first round including guys like Mike Brown and the '80s Bears bunch; Doug Plank, Todd Bell, Dave Duerson, Gary Fencik. We've had some bozos too and for a decade or more it's been a real revolving door there. I'd like to see that stop as well and if drafting one in the first round will do that then I'm OK with that but I'd make damn sure that guy can give me something I don't already have. I believe Conte will redeem himself this year if given the chance but if we draft Ha Ha or Pryor he probably will have to do it from the bench and if that's not the case then I will be upset that we drafted a guy who isn't anywhere near as good as we thought he was.

I think your points are valid enough though. Conte is a question mark with a contract and Melton is a question mark without one. The who may pivot on whatever happens with Melton. Emery seems comfortable enough bringing him back and if he does then a Safety would seem to jump out front but if he doesn't it may be the reverse. I may be crazy but I think Aaron Donald could become another John Randle who in all my years of watching NFL football to me was the toughest DT to block and keep out of your backfield that there ever was and they're roughly the same size and same style player. The funny thing is a lot of teams felt he was too small and passed on him and he came in as an UDFA. Talk about finding a diamond in a cracker jack box.
  15. Grizzblue

Grizzblue Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +455 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    65ß
    I agree soul, I would rather see Conte start with a solid dline than roll the dice on paea and Collins at 3. Conte regressed on a horribad defense. A lot of fans try to crucify him for all the missed tackles but miss the bigger picture. why is your FS being asked to make so many open field tackles on RBs?. Yes your FS from time to time must play goalie so to speak in run support but not nearly as much as he ha to last year. Bottom line: the 3 tech trumps replacing conte for now, if he is really as bad as everyone says I'm sure a 2nd round guy like Joyner or whoever else will have no problem beating him out in TC.
  16. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +2,460 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    906ß
    I agree. I think the failure to get the safety position resolved has been one of the top frustrations that I've had with the team. I don't understand why this has been so difficult to fix over the years. I'm hoping we get the position fixed, and the guys stay healthy over the years to come. I'm hoping that Conte turns it around this year. If not, then I hope he gets Phil's "welcome back with open arms" thing for 2015. Let him "sleep with the fishes" :)
  17. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,256 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    301ß
    I'm with Soul and Grizz on this one.

If Donald is there at 14, you take him. Done. Melton isn't coming back, Ratliff is nearing the end of his career, Collins is coming off an ACL tear, and Paea is a FA next year. Take Donald. S/CB in 2/3.

If he's gone, then Ha-Ha or Mosely or maybe Pryor or Jernigan.
    • Like Like x 2
  18. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,912 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,760ß
    That's pretty much the way I'd go about it too. As long as Donald is coming into a situation where more isn't expected of him than he can offer right now I think he'll be fine and maybe even more than fine. He'll be playing in a rotation with three other pretty good DTs so his snaps will be limited by that and he'll have some time to learn and adjust. If the kid comes in and gets in peoples backfields and disrupts and puts up 5 or 6 sacks he'll be considered a great pick. Sure there are concerns and risks because of his size. Make him two inches taller and 10lbs heavier and with his stats and Combine he'd be a top ten pick for sure and maybe a top five.

If Emery feels he needs a FS more than a 3 tech or a two position DT like Jernigan then so be it. I won't bitch. But somewhere in the first three rounds he needs to find a quick penetrating DT even if he does sign Melton for another year. What I don't want to see him do is trade down and take guys like Hageman or Tuitt. At #14 we have a shot at the best or second best DT or FS and if that's the case you take him period. Fuck extra picks in rounds three or four. We need some first day players and most of those come out of the first two rounds.
  19. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,092 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,176ß
    I'd take Quarles in the 2nd or 3rd all day over Donald, when you compare what those two did against top competition Quarles clearly had the better college career, and it also nets you a top S ILB or CB at 14, and no one in those positions are near as good to them as Quarles is to Donald(imo)