Bears May be Interested in Drafting DT Kelcy Quarles

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by BSBEARS, Mar 15, 2014.

1. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

ßearz ßuckz:
    3,138ß
  2. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Assistant Head Coach
    SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    5,064ß
    I found that interesting.

• Like Like x 1
  3. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

ßearz ßuckz:
    3,138ß
    I thought it was interesting as well and am thinking the Bears may be looking at Safety in rd 1 since the talent level drops off so fast.

4. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka
    SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    3,869ß
    Nope cannot possibly draft anything other then DT at 14, it's not allowed. To do such a thing is sacrilege.

• Like Like x 2
  5. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

ßearz ßuckz:
    3,138ß
    Not you Too:lolsign:

• Like Like x 1
  6. soulman

soulman Coordinator
    SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    4,070ß
    We really can't put much stock in draft rumors right now and with Emery maybe not at all. He likes to pull surprises. From the looks of him and that pic he doesn't look like a 1st round guy and maybe not even a second round guy. I see a kid who look overweight and not all that muscular although some pro weight room work might help that. The other top DTs look much better but I suppose if we either lost out on both or Emery decides to draft a FS then they need to know as much about this kid as possible because he does seem to be a fit somewhere after the first round.

I could see him going after Ha Ha at #14 but I can also see him taking Donald especially if Melton dusts. In the Bears defense the 3 tech DT has always been a key to the pass rush because it's his penetration that makes it easier for the DEs to get sacks and hits. That was obvious in 2012 when Melton had his best year. I would agree that the talent at FS or even SS isn't as good farther down the line but there are still some kids who can play. There is no one else in this draft that as good a pass rushing DT as Donald. To me that trumps the FS spot every time but who knows how Emery will play it and we won't know until that pick hits Goddell.

• Like Like x 2
  7. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

ßearz ßuckz:
    3,138ß
    Its a new defense and while Mel Tucker was in Jacksonville they always had bigger DT's. I am not so sure the Bears value the 3 technique currently as much as they did in the past. Not saying no value, just not as critical. With that said, I will not be disappointed no matter what they do as I would be happy with Donald, Jernigan, Ealy, Dix, Dennard, Mosley, Prior and Gilbert depending on how the Bears have them ranked from there scouting dept. By not addressing the CB or a top qualiity safety I am suspicious they will go after a CB or S early, potentially in rd 1. With DJ on a 1 year deal and Briggs contract up I would not be surprised to see Mosley come on board if he is on the board as Bostic is believed to be waiting his time for Briggs to move on. There are a lot of DT's in this draft that could be gotten in rd 2 or rd 3 even such as Quarles who can apply pressure on the QB and collapse the pocket. Over and above all these defensive players the draft is stocked with offensive talent which will leave many of these players on the board potentially into rd 3 that in normal years would be a first round talent . This draft is stacked with potentiallly good impact players and getting two or three of them at positions of need may dictate we do not go DT in Round 1. Ideally we will trade down a few spots and pick up an exta late 2nd or 3rd rd pick.

• Like Like x 1
  8. soulman

soulman Coordinator
    SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    4,070ß
    Not according to Emery. When he was asked about Melton he reconfirmed his interest in keeping him by saying the 3 tech DT position is the key to their pass rush. He also protected himself by making sure he signed Ratliff and Collins both of whom can play 3 tech pretty well and they can also play NT. That sets him up to take either Donald or Jernigan. Jernigan is probably the more versatile of the two whereas Donald is strictly a 4-3 3 tech guy but he's also the better pass rusher. In my book any time you get a shot at a Tommie Harris or Gerald McCoy type DT you take him and don't look back. McCoy is a wrecking ball in TB. Lovie has his All Pro 3 tech which is why he has no need to Melton.

I don't see Gilbert sticking around until #14 and I don't think they'll take a CB in one anyway. Jennings and Tillman are signed and paid as starters and most CBs who are drafted in the first round are taken to become immediate starters. Those guys usually slide in and play immediately. I'd never say never but I don't think a CB is at the top of their wish list yet. Maybe in second or third but I don't see it yet in one. When you have other needs it somewhat foolish to take a guy who won't be a starter.

Now Safety is another story. Ha Ha is a guy who should be there but if they take him then Conte is done for as far as competing for a starters spot. Once again they wouldn't use a first round pick on a guy they aren't gonna plan on starting day one. Pryor? Maybe but at #14 when there are still good DTs on the board? Mosley is a possibility too but he's seen by some as a top ten pick and there again you have the same deal as at CB. With Williams signed and paid to start will they spend that first pick on a guy for a position where they just signed their 2014 starter? They were forced to play a rookie at MLB last year after D.J went down and the run defense began to crumble. I don't know that they'd want to try that again.

I don't like Ealy that early at all and again after putting guaranteed money into both Houston and Young and having added two more FA DE earlier and with Wootton's fate still undetermined is DE really that big of a need any longer? Personally I'd rather have Wootton back than daft Ealy anyway. But anyway where DE was a huge need a week ago it no longer is. Emery plugged that hole this past week, twice, and twice before that with some vet run stopper kind of guys. I also wouldn't trade back for a guy or guys I really don't need. His first three picks need to start, play in rotation, or be serious challengers to start sometime in 2014.

So what I'm looking at is what hasn't he done yet what's very unlikely to be done yet in FA.

1) Unless Melton returns on his terms Emery needs another DT who can play 3 tech or one who can play both. Collins is only signed for 2014 and Paea's deal is up after this season too. I wouldn't call him a disappointment but his injuries have certainly had an impact on his play. The other issue with him is his size, or lack of it. If Tucker wants to get bigger anywhere along that line it should be at NT not 3 tech. You want sub 300lb guy playing there and 300lb plus guys at NT and Paea is more the size of a 3 tech which I suppose he could also play. So to me as it stands Emery still has a need for another DT to fill out his rotation. He has three starters now and he needs four.

2) If Ha Ha or maybe even Pryor is still on the board this is where the War Room wrangling may take place because FS is the only other glaring need on the defense now and all the top FAs are gone. I think it all depends on how confident they are that with some effort and a better pass rush Conte will turn his game around. If he can and he can show the kind of improvement we all expected to see in him last year and didn't then they can live with him at FS. But do that take that chance? Poor FS play cost us both points and games last year.

The nice thing about having that #14 pick is that Emery is pretty impervious to what the team in front of him do. There will be some top defensive players still on the board when his pick comes. I'm guessing at least three or four from your list. IMHO being in a position to choose from among several is a good place to be. We still haven't seen the second wave of FA through to it's completion yet so we have another week or two to go there and that may change things a bit more but given the situation today I think it comes down to one of those two positions and I think they'll be at least one prospect at each spot still there.

Beefing up the pass rush and stopping the run has to be priority number one but FS is the last line of defense so which will it be?

9. mdbearz

mdbearz Veteran

ßearz ßuckz:
    246ß
    We are picking at 14 in one of the deepest drafts in a very long time. We need defense first and foremost and we shoud see at least one of the top level talents fall to us.

I tend to believe that someone will be there at 14 that will be too good to pass. But if there is another team that wants something that we do not need (like a QB or WR) and they are willing to give us a second and thier 1st pick is not too far down the board, then of course we do it.

10. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

ßearz ßuckz:
    3,138ß
    Exactly and with all those 3 techniques on board I see Free Safety as more critical and after Dix and Prior the talent for a instant starter may not be there. I do not want Conte starting no way, no how.

• Like Like x 1