Bears may be trying to trade E. Bennett

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by ChiCityBears, Aug 28, 2013.

1. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 SuperFan

I'm fine dealing Bennett, and you can criticize him being injured.

But never question his hands.

Over a three year period Bennett led the entire NFL by having the BEST hands. He is a "money player" for catching passes - including the tough catches. Sure, every player drops some, just like QB's don't complete every pass. But Bennett is as sure-handed as WR's get in this league. And he's always had a solid chemistry with Cutler, going back to his Vanderbilt days where in Jay's senior year, about 1/3 of their passing game yardage went through a freshman, Earl Bennett.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2013
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Henry Burris

Henry Burris

3. Mr. Deliverance

Mr. Deliverance Guest

Trade Bennett for what? What in the world does anyone think the Bears would get for a concussion damaged player? I like Bennett. But he's brittle. And no GM is going to give you anything for a guy that may not be able to play effectively because of a concussion. Seriously let's get real. Put him on the PUP list if possible or IR, if its that bad, and give him time to recover. He's a good player when he's on the field. Not knowing how Marshall's hip issues will affect him this year is even more reason not to look to deal Bennett. The other guys on the roster just have to make up the difference.

They paid good money to bring in Bennett (TE) and are planning to get the ball more into Forte's hands. So you just work around things like this. Jeffery has to step up and let's find out if all the Joe Anderson fanboys have a point with that joker. Every player on that 53 man roster should be able to come on when called on and contribute and not just on special teams. Otherwise they don't belong on the roster.
  4. Passepartout

Passepartout

Hopefully that they do not trade him. Just give him time to recover. As that is hat he needs. As hopefully Marshall can come back from his hip issues.
  5. riczaj01

riczaj01

SF, KC and NE might all be desperate enough to be willing to overpay.
    SF: crabtree out, Manningham out(wr 1 and 2)
    NE: do they have anyone?
    KC: Bowe and who?

i'm not saying anything will happen, or that the Bears could get anything worth it, but I could see why some, if a physical is passed, would be willing to risk it.
  6. Cheeseburger

Cheeseburger Guest

yea but EB IS A 3rd option wr...........i think everyone in the league knows that
  7. mdbearz

mdbearz

a trade would be good for bennett and the Bears. He get a fresh start and the bears can mitigate some risk. Plus hey make room for a rookie with serious potential.
  8. short faced bear

short faced bear

As long as Marshall is ok mentally and physically I'm ok with this. I would think with Bmarsh, Jeffery, Forte, the black unicorn, and Anderson getting balls their way Earl is expendable esp. with his contract. Getting something decent for him might serve well.

Can we get Nate Solder for him lol.
  9. MPbears68

MPbears68

I'd be shocked if they could get anything for a currently injured player with a sizable contract and a long history of durability concerns.
  10. GermansbombedPH

GermansbombedPH

Always liked EarlB but he can't stay healthy. Guy is money on 3rd downs but can see why they would trade him
  11. jbunch14

jbunch14

I'm sorry, but you can't be serious with this? He likely has the best hands in the NFL, and almost NEVER drops a ball. He is very good with his route running, and wonderful and finding the holes in zone coverage. His only problem is he gets hurt too much. I doubt they move him unless they recoupe a 3-5 pick, which likely won't happen with his concussion. I imagine he plays out this season, and if he stays healthy, he probably has a pretty productive year and gets traded next year.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. riczaj01

riczaj01

True, but when you look at what they have on their rosters right now...a 3rd is still better then what they have.
  13. little bear

little bear

Bowe and AJ Jenkins. ^^
  14. riczaj01

riczaj01

http://www.sportsworldreport.com/ar...-rumors-tim-tebow-tyler-wilson-aj-jenkins.htm

Some other players that have not been too effective in the preseason and could be cut include AJ Jenkins after he was traded from the 49ers, Taylor Mays on the Bengals after he played with the 49ers, as well as Tyler Wilson on the Raiders, as the team has liked what they have seen so far from undrafted rookie Matt McGloin. Robert Meachem could be released despite the injuries to the team at the position after his poor play, while other names include Tony Scheffler, Danny Watkins and linebacker Brian Banks.

not s ure, even if he makes the team, that he's really worth mentioning.
  15. motownbear

motownbear derp daderp daderpidity derp Staff Member

if we trade with anyone the only really desperate team for a wr looks to be NE and maybe St Louis

but i dont see higher then a conditional 5 rounder in return
    • Like Like x 2
  16. Sharky

Sharky

I hate to say this but it should have happened years ago. I was never a fan of the pick at the time but i never thought he would get a contract he did and do nothing before or after. I hope we can get something for him. Im happy to just get the cap space. What i really loved was over at PSD how for years they talked him and chris williams up only to have both of them gone now. I guess i can say i know my football ha
  17. Rogelio

Rogelio

I like Earl Bennett as a player, but yes, he makes lots of money and has health issues. But them losing most of his salary is going to do them no good for 2013, as they wouldn't be able to sign a worthwhile free agent for this year. Unless they have young players beating down the doors for playing time (which they don't yet), there is no reason at all to trade Earl. After the season? Fine. But a team which should compete for the division should not be trading its #3 receiver a week before the season starts. Nothing good would come from that.
  18. lklrlolnlilklsox

lklrlolnlilklsox

I bet Tom Brady would love him. Good routes, great hands and always fights for extra yards.
    • Like Like x 1
  19. zelezo vlk

zelezo vlk

He sure would. So would plenty of QBs. There's no way he gets traded. He's making what, $2 mil a year as a receiver? I don't consider that pricey. He's shown to be injury prone, but it's also because he's taken some really really hard hits. Dude's a fighter.

1. If he's actually too injured to play (i.e. no use for us), then he's no use for anyone so I highly doubt that Emery could get a trading partner in that case.
    2. If he's healthy, then there's no way that the Bears would be willing to give up a target to whom Jay loves to throw, for what somebody would be willing to offer. I don't see it.

You don't give up offensive weapons that you still need. Joe Anderson is still an unknown. So is Wilson. I wish those two luck, but there's no way any of us can say with absolute confidence that either is an equal replacement or upgrade to Bennett at this point.
  20. MPbears68

MPbears68

I agree with all that and doubt he gets traded for the reasons you mentioned. Problem is, $2million+ isn't cheap for a receiver who can't stay on the field, maybe only one head hit more from retirement, and for a team hard against the cap. My guess is that he gets one more shot cuz he's definitely a weapon when healthy but he's done as a Bear one way or another if/when he has another significant injury.