Bears Minicamp Notebook: June 18

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by riczaj01, Jun 18, 2014.

1. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,956 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    969ß
    http://www.chicagofootball.com/2014/06/18/bears-minicamp-notebook-june-18/a6waf8t/

By KEVIN FISHBAIN - kfishbain@chicagofootball.com - Wednesday, June 18, 2014 2:55 p.m. CDT

LAKE FOREST — When the Bears practice inside the Walter Payton Center, as they did during Wednesday’s minicamp, often one will hear a loud ‘thud’ and a football raining down from the top of the dome.
    If we’re to judge the punting battle between Patrick O’Donnell and Tress Way solely on punts that hit the ceiling, well, it’s hard to tell who has the lead. When a returner is on the field, an assistant will toss him a ball to start the return.
    Special teams coordinator Joe DeCamillis reassured us following practice that it is a good thing when the punts get impeded by the dome.
    “Obviously that’s something that’s good, by the way. If it hits the roof in there, that means they are hanging the ball,” he said. “If they don’t hit the roof that’s usually not a good thing because that means it’s coming right back at you in the return form. I’m glad that it’s hitting the roof, let’s just say that.”
    The punters have gotten outside plenty to get a better gauge on their kicks, DeCamillis said, but the coaches can also see it indoors, too.
    “But you can evaluate also there because you can film it and see a tight-line shot of them and see exactly what their strengths and their weaknesses are as far as their drop, as far as their catch of the ball, everything that comes into play. So we can get a lot of work done in there, but obviously outside is better than inside for us right now.”
    As for the competition itself between the sixth-rounder O’Donnell and Way, who was cut during last year’s camp, DeCamillis said that Way has turned it on since the draft.
    “I think it’s going to be a heck of a competition. I think when we drafted Pat, for whatever reason, Tress really picked his business up,” DeCamillis said. “He’s really punted well and it’s going to be a heck of a competition.”
    Shea on special teams: All the talk is centered around Shea McClellin’s shift to linebacker, but that position change also means more special teams duty than he’s accustomed to, something DeCamillis addressed.
    “So far, it’s been very positive. He’s moved around really well,” he said. “He didn’t play a lot of special teams here in the last few years because of his role as a defensive lineman, so it’s something new for him, but he’s really adjusted well. His drill work has gotten better every week and I think he’s on the right track.”
    Allen impressed by CBs: Many of the defensive players have discussed their positive impressions of playing with an All Pro like Jared Allen, but the veteran has been in awe of a couple of his new teammates.
    “I can’t remember the last time I played with two Pro Bowl cornerbacks. I had Antoine (Winfield) in Minnesota, but the last time I had two Pro Bowl corners was Patrick Surtain and Ty Law way back in Kansas City,” he said. “It’s just getting that energy of that we have a good offense, now imagine if we had a good defense. Playing defense with a lead is a blast.”
    Attendance report: Khaseem Greene returned to practice, while Chris Conte and Will Sutton remained absent for family reasons. Jordan Mills, Kyle Long and Alshon Jeffery did not participate in team drills. Marc Trestman said he gave some veterans a rest to allow younger players fighting for roster spots more opportunities for reps.
    Returned for six: Two drops on offense led to picks for the defense — undrafted rookie corner Al Louis-Jean got a pick-six off a Fendi Onobun drop and Demontre Hurst intercepted a pass that was tipped, then went in and out of Micheal Spurlock’s hands.
    Play of the day: Jay Cutler hit Brandon Marshall down the sideline in 7-on-7’s with Charles Tillman in perfect coverage for a 30-plus yard gain.
  2. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,956 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    969ß
    bu-bye Fendi. Helloooooo AL-J!
  3. ZifanQ

ZifanQ Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +145 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    38ß
    Well it cant be any worse than Kellen Davis..
  4. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +735 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    698ß
    My nightmare is coming true. Fendi is still the same.
  5. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,956 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    969ß
    still plenty of time for them to find a TE on the cut list if Fendi doesn't work out chilax on the nightmare.
  6. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,350 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    745ß
    Stone Hands Fendi.
    Pray for M.Bennett to stay healthy.

[​IMG]
    • Like Like x 2
  7. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,956 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    969ß
    just proving b/c you have the measurable's and are a great athlete doesn't mean you can play in the NFL. It's why, while the combine is fun, it's a poor predictor of who will be a great player in the NFL.
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +2,350 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    745ß
    Ric, I totally agree.
    It reminds me so much of the K.Davis experiment. A guy who can't catch or block, but he does have "measureables" except for being able to play football.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Ski-Whiz

Ski-Whiz George Halas Staff Member

Ratings:
    +928 / 1 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    488ß

I love what Allen said!
  10. short faced bear

short faced bear Assistant Head Coach DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,195 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    88ß
    Reminds me of J. Webb- while everyone marveled at his size he was a 4 year experiment that went 2 years too long. Forget Cinnabon, I'll take chances on Phil going CFL for a backup TE at this point.
    • Like Like x 2
  11. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,956 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    969ß
    SFB, Davis is a good example no doubt, but ya Webb is the final argument of all the measurable none of the talent needed to play.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,956 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    969ß
    Ya Allen has to be stoked to know he's on a team that can actually score points w/the big dogs and just needs the D to keep the other team reasonable, and not have actually dominate just to stand a chance.
  13. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +2,350 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    745ß
    +1000
    In the end, these guys need to be able to play football. Who cares how tall they are, fast they are, or if they used to play another sport (basketball) well. If they can't catch a football or block, what the heck good are they? Just pretty boys who can't do squat on a football field.

And the Webb comparison is excellent. I'm fine with us trying out a guy like Fendi or Webb as a cheap experiment. But not as a long-term experiment. Either they can play football or they can't. The Webb experience was sooooo long and painful (especially to Cutler). I keep coming back to the fact Fendi is on his 6th team in 5 years. That alone should make you wonder what is wrong with the guy. I "get it" that he had minimal college experience. But how many years do you sink into a J'Marcus Webb or Fendi Onobun before you realize you're wasting roster space here. I don't expect a "star" for our backup TE. But I do expect a man who can catch a football and block. That is not too much to ask for at the NFL level.
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
  14. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,956 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    969ß
    it's not minimal college experience w/Fendi though, it's NO college experience. dude played basketball. and that's the problem, he's learning football on the fly. It'd be like getting dumped into law firm w/a gen ed degree and them telling you to go into a courtroom and be a lawyer and win the case. Fendi's always been a longshot, but the more he's around the nfl and the more he gets used to what football is the MORE his odds work for him b/c he started at the bottom and htere is only staying at the bottom or going up, the 5th/6th teams were playing the odds. Even Webb didnt start at the bottom b/c he played in college, he just was only a few steps up and fell down the stairs and crashed through the sub floor.
  15. short faced bear

short faced bear Assistant Head Coach DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,195 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    88ß
    I would add to that not only taking up a roster spot but how many guys-even if they were only slightly better, were lost out to during that time. How much time in coaching is wasted on a guy who couldn't get it mentally or technique wise? I'm all about taking a flyer on a guy as a project or experiment. I remember the article someone posted on 30% of starters coming from UDFA or late rounds. If you think your wasting time on a guy after a number of years it's time to pull the plug.

Luckily, I think Emery and co. get that point. :18 1 205:
    • Like Like x 2
  16. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,956 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    969ß
    that last line SFB, that's where I am on it, when the HC and the staff and GM no longer see improvement equivalent to a PS level player who might make the roster they'll cut the cord.
  17. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +2,350 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    745ß
    I keep coming back to the same points with Fendi Onobun. He's in his 5th season of the NFL. He still has stone hands. If he hasn't been able to learn how to catch a football after 5 years, I don't think there's hope.

How many years in the NFL should it take to learn how to catch a football? It's the K.Davis thing all over again, in spades man. Even for a backup receiving TE, we should have something better. I believe we'll see Emery work some magic here and bring in a better backup to M.Bennett and Fendi will be let go to find his 7th NFL team.
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2014
  18. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,956 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    969ß
    JABF, how many years did it take WR's and TE's to learn to catch; most it was HS, College and then 1-2 years in the NFL.

It's not like it's an easy thing. Chances were always against Fendi, but again as long as Tresticles and Kromer see enough to keep him, I'm not going to question those two.
  19. dachuckster

dachuckster Veteran SuperFan

Ratings:
    +317 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    150ß
    This is what makes me curious about Onobun. He has basically been on our PS since January 2013. I have been impressed with the personnel decisions that Emery and Trestman have made.

They have been thorough and decisive. No screwing around. If Trestman and Kromer had serious doubts about Onobun, he would have been gone a long time ago.

I am not trying to argue that Onobun will be the backup TE or even that he will be any good. Just that the situation is interesting.

I feel the same way about Jarrod Johnson at QB.
  20. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,956 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    969ß
    my thing is just now we are going to get actual daily reports, but the coaches have seen this guy every day and know what they have and don't have in him.
    If he really wasn't showing any signs of improvement(as fans have seen/heard) it'd be no skin of their backs to just move on, and if this was JA/Lovie/whoever as OC, I might feel different, but I really do trust Trestman on the O.