Bears Minicamp Notebook: June 18

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by riczaj01, Jun 18, 2014.

1. riczaj01

riczaj01
    Expand Collapse
    DaBears Ditka
    SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    4,172ß
    Please Register or Log in to Remove this Advertisement!
    SFB, Davis is a good example no doubt, but ya Webb is the final argument of all the measurable none of the talent needed to play.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. riczaj01

riczaj01
    Expand Collapse
    DaBears Ditka
    SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    4,172ß
    Ya Allen has to be stoked to know he's on a team that can actually score points w/the big dogs and just needs the D to keep the other team reasonable, and not have actually dominate just to stand a chance.

3. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99
    Expand Collapse
    Assistant Head Coach
    SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    5,323ß
    +1000
    In the end, these guys need to be able to play football. Who cares how tall they are, fast they are, or if they used to play another sport (basketball) well. If they can't catch a football or block, what the heck good are they? Just pretty boys who can't do squat on a football field.

And the Webb comparison is excellent. I'm fine with us trying out a guy like Fendi or Webb as a cheap experiment. But not as a long-term experiment. Either they can play football or they can't. The Webb experience was sooooo long and painful (especially to Cutler). I keep coming back to the fact Fendi is on his 6th team in 5 years. That alone should make you wonder what is wrong with the guy. I "get it" that he had minimal college experience. But how many years do you sink into a J'Marcus Webb or Fendi Onobun before you realize you're wasting roster space here. I don't expect a "star" for our backup TE. But I do expect a man who can catch a football and block. That is not too much to ask for at the NFL level.

#13 JustAnotherBearsFan99, Jun 18, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
  4. riczaj01

riczaj01
    Expand Collapse
    DaBears Ditka
    SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    4,172ß
    it's not minimal college experience w/Fendi though, it's NO college experience. dude played basketball. and that's the problem, he's learning football on the fly. It'd be like getting dumped into law firm w/a gen ed degree and them telling you to go into a courtroom and be a lawyer and win the case. Fendi's always been a longshot, but the more he's around the nfl and the more he gets used to what football is the MORE his odds work for him b/c he started at the bottom and htere is only staying at the bottom or going up, the 5th/6th teams were playing the odds. Even Webb didnt start at the bottom b/c he played in college, he just was only a few steps up and fell down the stairs and crashed through the sub floor.

5. short faced bear

short faced bear
    Expand Collapse
    Assistant Head Coach
    DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    846ß
    I would add to that not only taking up a roster spot but how many guys-even if they were only slightly better, were lost out to during that time. How much time in coaching is wasted on a guy who couldn't get it mentally or technique wise? I'm all about taking a flyer on a guy as a project or experiment. I remember the article someone posted on 30% of starters coming from UDFA or late rounds. If you think your wasting time on a guy after a number of years it's time to pull the plug.

Luckily, I think Emery and co. get that point. :18 1 205:

• Like Like x 2
  6. riczaj01

riczaj01
    Expand Collapse
    DaBears Ditka
    SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    4,172ß
    that last line SFB, that's where I am on it, when the HC and the staff and GM no longer see improvement equivalent to a PS level player who might make the roster they'll cut the cord.

7. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99
    Expand Collapse
    Assistant Head Coach
    SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    5,323ß
    I keep coming back to the same points with Fendi Onobun. He's in his 5th season of the NFL. He still has stone hands. If he hasn't been able to learn how to catch a football after 5 years, I don't think there's hope.

How many years in the NFL should it take to learn how to catch a football? It's the K.Davis thing all over again, in spades man. Even for a backup receiving TE, we should have something better. I believe we'll see Emery work some magic here and bring in a better backup to M.Bennett and Fendi will be let go to find his 7th NFL team.

#17 JustAnotherBearsFan99, Jun 19, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2014
  8. riczaj01

riczaj01
    Expand Collapse
    DaBears Ditka
    SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    4,172ß
    JABF, how many years did it take WR's and TE's to learn to catch; most it was HS, College and then 1-2 years in the NFL.

It's not like it's an easy thing. Chances were always against Fendi, but again as long as Tresticles and Kromer see enough to keep him, I'm not going to question those two.

9. dachuckster

dachuckster
    Expand Collapse
    Pro-Bowler
    SuperFan

ßearz ßuckz:
    1,371ß
    This is what makes me curious about Onobun. He has basically been on our PS since January 2013. I have been impressed with the personnel decisions that Emery and Trestman have made.

They have been thorough and decisive. No screwing around. If Trestman and Kromer had serious doubts about Onobun, he would have been gone a long time ago.

I am not trying to argue that Onobun will be the backup TE or even that he will be any good. Just that the situation is interesting.

I feel the same way about Jarrod Johnson at QB.

10. riczaj01

riczaj01
    Expand Collapse
    DaBears Ditka
    SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    4,172ß
    my thing is just now we are going to get actual daily reports, but the coaches have seen this guy every day and know what they have and don't have in him.
    If he really wasn't showing any signs of improvement(as fans have seen/heard) it'd be no skin of their backs to just move on, and if this was JA/Lovie/whoever as OC, I might feel different, but I really do trust Trestman on the O.