Bears' not sure still on starting left DE

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by short faced bear, Sep 3, 2013.

1. short faced bear

short faced bear Assistant Head Coach DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,228 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    146ß
    By Brad Biggs
    Tribune reporter

6:30 p.m. CDT, September 2, 2013

Bears general manager Phil Emery says the Chicago Bears will make a decision on their starting left defensive end after reviewing how practices go this week.

Shea McClellin, the first-round pick from last year, and Corey Wootton have been locked in a competition since the spring and two full practices remain before the coaching staff – coach Marc Trestman, defensive coordinator Mel Tucker and defensive line coach Mike Phair – will have to make a decision.

Both sacked Chargers quarterback Philip Rivers in the second exhibition game. Both had strong showings in training camp. Wootton looked to be more explosive and powerful out of his stance. McClellin showed the athleticism needed to snatch a Jay Cutler screen pass out of the air and return it for a touchdown.

Wootton is coming off more success last season. He started the final seven games and had seven sacks. McClellin made 2 ½ sacks but is in better shape for his second season. Wootton was on the field for 54.5 percent of the snaps and McClellin was at 34.7. Both are expected to play more this season.

“I gotta be honest with you, I don’t know what the opening day starting situation is,” Emery said. “I think that is going to be earned through the week. I think they both have shown good upside in terms of what they are capable of doing. They’ve both made plays. I’ve certainly seen development in both Corey and Shea. Best man wins.

“The other one is going to be on the field a lot. In terms of whoever goes out there and puts their hand on the ground first, that is a good thing, he earned that spot in front of the other one. They are competing as hard as I have seen two players go at it. Each and every rep counts to them, each and every one-on-one counts to them, each and every rep on game tape has counted to them. It’s a great thing. That is a heck of a thing to have on a team is that competition at that high level. I am excited about it. Whoever puts their hand down, they’ve earned it.”

Emery discounted the suggestion that he would be disappointed if McClellin wasn’t he starter based on his draft status. Wootton was a fourth-round pick by former general manager Jerry Angelo in 2010 and is entering the final season of his contract.

“Why would I be disappointed?” Emery said. “I don’t understand that rationale. So should I be mad at Corey? I don’t go there mentally. Best players are going to play. I know that both Shea and Corey are going to contribute to whatever we become as a team. Our goal is to win and win championships. They will contribute to that goal if we meet it, if we earn it.”

It will be interesting to see what develops behind McClellin and Wootton. If something happens to one of the top three ends, the Bears have a pair of rookies they are working to develop. Cornelius Washington was a sixth-round pick who looked raw in preseason. The other option is David Bass, a seventh-round pick of the Raiders who was claimed off waivers on Sunday. Bass had 40 ½ sacks at Division II Missouri Western and 11 ½ as a senior.

Emery said the Bears liked him over Cheta Ozougwu, who was waived, because Bass has superior size at 6-4, 256 pounds. Ozougwu was listed at 6-2, 255, and minor injuries plagued him in training camp and last season.

“(Bass) is a better point of attack player in our eyes,” Emery said. “We feel like he has a better opportunity to be a more all-around player, run and pass and that again goes along with our roster philosophy. If you can find a player that is better at doing what you want done overall as a player and has a higher potential, a higher ceiling to do so, we’re going to go in that direction.”

Between Washington and Bass, one of them will have to be game ready soon in case a need arises.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sport...-end-hasnt-been-made-20130902,0,5503774.story
  2. lklrlolnlilklsox

lklrlolnlilklsox Position Coach

Ratings:
    +316 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    61ß
    I liked what I saw from both of them this preseason, and I think a healthy rotation is the best thing for this team, anyway. There's enough talent for about 7 guys to get a lot of reps along the DL. Plus Wootton is sure to get some looks at UT on third down, so this is what I call a good problem.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. zelezo vlk

zelezo vlk Veteran

Ratings:
    +22 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Does Melton get pulled third down then? And why exactly is he pulled if he is a good pass rusher? I'm not doubting his ability, just wondering why a DE would play the Under Tackle Position if we have a capable pass rusher there.
  4. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,324 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    366ß
    It's a rotation yeah but.....Wootton.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. lklrlolnlilklsox

lklrlolnlilklsox Position Coach

Ratings:
    +316 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    61ß
    When he needs a breather, which will most assuredly happen all along the DL with heavy three man rotations at DT and DE. Not to mention Melton coming back from a concussion and you want to ease him back into action as much as possible. You want your four best pass rushers out there on those third and longs, so no reason why Melton or Wootton couldn't slide over to NT. He did it last season, as a lot of really good DEs do around the league, I expect more from him this season.
  6. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,279 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,444ß
    Shea cannot handle the DE run plays but you're thinking of starting him?!?!?!? Bad idea. Wootton earned that job outright w/Shea not developing.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. zelezo vlk

zelezo vlk Veteran

Ratings:
    +22 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Obviously there's something that we collectively are missing if he's fighting for a starting gig. And thanks, Sox.
  8. Boochee Man

Boochee Man Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    I don't see a competition here. I see one starter and one role player.
    • Like Like x 2
  9. Tarkus

Tarkus Veteran

Ratings:
    +270 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Wasn't sold on Shea when he was drafted so high. We didn't need a 'tweener with that pick. Too light...

Wootton without a doubt IMO while Shea's a nice situational option. They probably have made the decision but want to keep the competition hot.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Sharky

Sharky Veteran

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Wooton please!
  11. 4dabers

4dabers Veteran DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +747 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    89ß
    I tend to agree with you guys. While none of us have been present at Halas Hall to see what our "real" defense looks like (as opposed to the vanilla version seen in Pre-Season games), Corey has shown me more than McClellin and deserves the start. I'm still not sold that the Bears aren't planning to use McClellin in a different way come regular season football.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. shark86x

shark86x Pro-Bowler SuperFan

Ratings:
    +705 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    320ß
    [​IMG]
    • Like Like x 3
  13. Nakoma1

Nakoma1 Veteran

Ratings:
    +183 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    and lets not forget SackmasterPepps

PERSONALLY I think this is a Ruse
  14. dabears70

dabears70 Veteran

Ratings:
    +61 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    72ß
    Yeah i'm thinking this is a pretty easy answer and it's Wooten without a doubt.

Shea is a speed guy that can't play every down at this time in his career.
  15. a_miljan

a_miljan Veteran

Ratings:
    +306 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    130ß
    of course it will be wootton. Shea maybe next year, or maybe hell be a LB next year
    • Like Like x 1
  16. jbunch14

jbunch14 Veteran

Ratings:
    +173 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    89ß
    Wootton has developed very nicely once finally healthy. Let's not forget he was projected as a top-15 pick before his injury in college. I think Shea is going to be a good contributor, but he will be situational again this year, until he refines his game a bit.
  17. zelezo vlk

zelezo vlk Veteran

Ratings:
    +22 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    The depth chart that they just released still lists both as co-starters.