Bears Offense: The Good, the Bad, the Ugly

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by The Benjamin, Oct 28, 2013.

1. The Benjamin

The Benjamin George Halas Staff Member

Ratings:
    +1,718 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    520ß
    The Good

• The Bears have scored the fifth most points in the NFL so far in the season.
    • The Bears have scored the most points for any team in the NFL who has already had their bye week (only teams with 8 games played have scored more... Lions 4 more points, 49ers 5 more, cowboys 17 more..... Broncos 131 more)
    • The Bears have scored the second most points per game out of everyone in the NFL. Only the Broncos have scored more per game (30.4 for the Bears, 42.9 for the Broncos..... Packers have scored 30.3)
    • The Bears are ranked 4th in yards per play
    • The Bears are tied for 4th in turnovers with a +7
    • The Bears have the second fewest penalties and penalty yards on offense in the NFL
    • The Bears are 10th in passing TDs
    • The Bears are 8th in rushing TDs

The Bad

• The Bears are middle of the pack in terms of 1st downs made.
    • The Bears are middle of the pack in terms of yards per game
    • The Bears are middle of the pack in terms of passing yards
    • The Bears are middle of the pack in terms of rushing yards

The Ugly

• The Bears are Second to last on third down conversions
    • The Bears are 22nd in terms of time of possession
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Jimmors

Jimmors The Rhymenoceros Staff Member SuperFan

Ratings:
    +4,277 / 8 / -6
    ßearz ßuckz:
    556ß
    Not quite.

Our "bad" offensive yardage is due, in part, because we have great Special teams, particularly KR.

Currently the Bears are 2nd in the league (behind Minny) in the KR department, with 741 yards (105 average per game). And the stats arent even close...Minny has 763, we have 741, and #3 (Houston) has 586. So, combined with our high scoring offense, add two and two together:

High Scoring + Good Field Position (from solid KRs) = Less yardage needed to reach the endzone.

Which is why our yardage numbers across the board are less, since we do not need as much yards to score. High yardage numbers simply means that you are not returning kicks, and constantly having to drive 80+ yards to reach the endzone (albeit you are capable of doing so pretty easily, like Washington did).
    • Like Like x 3
  3. Jimmors

Ratings:
    +4,277 / 8 / -6
    ßearz ßuckz:
    556ß
    Also, i want to point out that my above stat only applies to KR yards, our PR yards is a "middle of the pack" @17th, meaning our Defense suuuuuuuckkkksssss....lots of KR yards means other offenses are scoring a lot. Low PR yards means our Defense can't force 3 and outs.
  4. gammabears

gammabears Rookie

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    That's a lot of good for the first year under Trestman so far. Minus the injuries.
    • Like Like x 3
  5. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,699 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    641ß
    • The Bears are tied for 4th in turnovers with a +7
    Isn't that more of a Good on the D; Cutler is 8th in the league w/7 int's, and the rest of the team is 19th in fumbles; while the D is like top 5 in turn overs.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,086 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    111ß
    That's the only thing keeping this D from being the NFL's worst. In points allowed it s already close to that, despite the takeaways, and we still have to face Flacco, Stafford, Romo, and Rodgers X 2 plus whatever Chip Kelly dials up. At least we also have Cleveland, Minnesota, and St. Louis to face--maybe we can "hold" them to only 350 yards and 24 points each. Mel Tucker rocks!
  7. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,428 / 8 / -10
    ßearz ßuckz:
    351ß
    I really don't think, as bad as this defense is, it's gonna have to worry about the Eagles, at all.
  8. The Benjamin

Ratings:
    +1,718 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    520ß
    Yes, but also a good for the Bears who are not turning the ball over with stupid INTs
  9. A-11

A-11 Veteran

Ratings:
    +74 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    On the middle of the pack rushing yards...

I'm still curious about why the ratio of runs up the center has been so high considering the production. Trestman does not seem insane to me. I am eager to learn how that is being used to set up other plays. Also, as many good things as we could say about the O Line, it looks like there is room to improve with the run blocking in general.

Jimmors made a good point regarding offensive yards (KR)...Calvin Johnson is a stud, we know this... but with 329 individual yards this weekend and only one touchdown you can debate the facts that not all yards are created equal. All nine yards helps no one, and if you only have 10 yards for a TD it might as well be 100. Points are the goal.
  10. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,699 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    641ß
    what part of Cutler is 8th in the league in int's don't you get? That means he's a top 10 QB in interceptions.
  11. The Benjamin

Ratings:
    +1,718 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    520ß
    Yes, but that is a vast improvement over what is the norm is it not?
  12. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,699 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    641ß
    part of the reason you run up the middle is to soften the middle, if you've been watching in the 3rd and 4th qtr's you'll start to see Forte breaking a few runs up the middle. If all you ever do is run outside, the D will shut that down.
  13. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,699 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    641ß
    I'll have to go back and look, I think when I last did it, he had 1 game w/out a TO; it might be 2....is that a vast improvement?
  14. Jimmors

Ratings:
    +4,277 / 8 / -6
    ßearz ßuckz:
    556ß
    Not sure what you mean about "Soften up the middle," but if you meant that you keep the LBs closer to the middle and the LoS so you can open up the pass game to the outside WRs (via one on one matchups without LB help), then yes, that is correct.
  15. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,699 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    641ß
    I meant you wear out the DT/NT by constantly running into them. Ya big strong guy can take a 4-5 hits from a rb and get stop them, take 10-20 hits from that rb and he's now worn down and more likely to miss that tackle.
  16. Jimmors

Ratings:
    +4,277 / 8 / -6
    ßearz ßuckz:
    556ß
    eh, DTs are much bigger than RBs, if anything, you are only beating up your RB.
  17. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,699 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    641ß
    Let me take a small 2lb hammer to you, you are much bigger, and i'll give you pads, now let me hit you w/the hammer, who'll wear down first?

You never hear of a rb or a O "wearing down" for a reason, but you do hear about the D wearing down.
  18. A-11

A-11 Veteran

Ratings:
    +74 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    You make a point Ricza, but when I think of wearing down the defense I can also envision a different picture. I think of runs outside the tackles where players are engaged more on the line and the linebackers have to cover more ground to close the gap.
  19. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,699 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    641ß
    A, I'm not saying don't run outside, hell it's where Forte gets his best runs, I'm just saying you have to attemp to run inside also, even if it doesn't work early.
  20. Jimmors

Ratings:
    +4,277 / 8 / -6
    ßearz ßuckz:
    556ß
    lol...thats a pretty strange analogy.

OL wear down, because like the DL, they are constantly pushing and shoving each other. Defenses wear down because they are essentially chasing Offense non-stop, since they don't know what play is going to be called, whereas an offense does. A WR or RB knows if he has to run all out this play, or if he has to stay back and block for a few seconds.

If a DL wears down because of run plays, i would suggest that this is because they are pushing up against the OL in a tug of war during the play, while trying to shed blocks, NOT because a RB is simply running into them.

However, "softening up the middle" can work by getting LBs to remain closer to the LoS longer, which prevents them from dropping back into coverage in time on pass plays to the outside.