Bears Offer to Allen Wasn't the Highest One.....................

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by soulman, Mar 27, 2014.

1. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,484 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    734ß
    Hmmmm.......I must have been there before then. I've been in the "middle of nowhere" so many times before it's not funny but I still don't recognize it. :confused:
    • Funny Funny x 1
  2. BearDownUnder

BearDownUnder Veteran

Ratings:
    +58 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    I think Allen's faith in the bears was more about us having a really good offense (of which Cutler is a part of) and having Tilman and Jennings at corner, Briggs and Williams at LB, Ratliff at DT, Houston and Young at DE. Plus draft picks to spend primarily on defense.

It's the how does he fit factor. If we've got Young as our 3rd DE that means Allen can rotate out of plays but at the same time he'll still get significant plays in a game. At Seattle he might have seen significant time on the bench. At Oakland he may never have got a rest.

The situation is more we are a playoffs and maybe deep play offs team based on offense. More than anything we need a star DE to rush the passer, oh here's Allen. Hey Jared want to get paid well and to be the important cog needed for us to make the next level. That's potentially a better sell than Seattle who can say how good their teams players are and despite good money not put him front and centre in their plans to improve.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,484 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    734ß
    Yep, especially when the Raiders said the would have liked to have kept Houston too but even he wanted outta there.

He also made it pretty clear he didn't want to be with any team with a screwed up QB situation which took Minny off the map right away and made Oakland almost the last choice. Seattle missed out for two reasons; 1) less money, and 2) they wanted him to be a 3rd down rusher.

He's a difference maker on defense, still wants to be a full time player, and he want to spend some time on a team that can win a championship. That's a good sign. It was a good pickup and I'm glad we had both the patience to stick in there with it and the wisdom to pull the trigger when we had the shot.
  4. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +513 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    335ß
    Wonder if we promised to flog Conte. I think that made it a no brainer.
  5. Kevin Davis

Kevin Davis Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    I do remember when Ron Rivera was looking for a head coaching job, he wouldn't consider Oakland...
  6. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,484 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    734ß
    Smart man. Like I said it's now the armpit of the NFL. Cleveland and Detroit are finally off the hook.