Bears Offseason Wrap Up................

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by soulman, May 22, 2014.

1. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,710 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,237ß
    It made my blood boil to watch him take plays, and even entire games off last year. The Bears paid out a lot of money to the guy and he loafed through the season, pocketed the money, and went to be a Green Bay Packer. He is dead to me now.
    • Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. jackiejokeman

jackiejokeman Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +215 / 2 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    521ß
    Theres a reason he is gone ... on the bright side maybe Packers end up 30th ranked defense .

:002:
    • Like Like x 3
  3. Chicago_66

Chicago_66 Veteran

Ratings:
    +404 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    95ß
    I pray that when he plays us we dominate him. I'd love to see Kyle Long on a pull and blindsiding his play-taking-off-ass. If I was a Chicago Bear and I saw him throwing it in all year and I played on offense.. well.. he better keep his head on a swivel because if he's not looking I'm coming in for a Hines Ward style block on his lazy ass. I could take drop in production from an age standpoint, but to straight up not try? No room for it. I hope he gets blown up multiple times against us.

Lets hope Marshall lays another hit like against the Cowboys and Peppers is on the receiving end. Ahh, justice.

Really though, I think he's going to have a great game against us. When he turns it on he looks great and I'm certain he'll be looking to make a statement whenever he plays us.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. kevperro

kevperro Veteran

Ratings:
    +99 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    101ß
    We have a host of potential candidates at safety. None of them proven.

We virtually threw everything at Dline though... multiple DEs and DTs. We have two rookies aimed at the secondary and a couple other FA camp bodies.

At LB we have Shea in the competition and hopefully a rookie or two that can mature into year #2.

I think the cumulative effect of all these changes, most notably the changes on the line, along with players being injury free (fingers crossed) will yield much better results.

Time will tell.
  5. Blue Horse-shoe

Blue Horse-shoe Veteran

Ratings:
    +343 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    438ß
    Melton is and always has been OVER-RATED . I could care less that he's gone .
    • Like Like x 2
  6. jackiejokeman

jackiejokeman Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +215 / 2 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    521ß
    We had to get together on Defense and it looks like we did.

Then that has to be the mission ... otherwise we become once again ...

Dallas Cowboys ... DEEEEEEEEEEEEEEtroit Lions ... NYG's.

Atlanta Falcons ... Tampa Bay ... Redskins ... ETC.

In other words we resort to being LOSERS.

Thats not CHICAGO BEARS way ... never has (except for last year)...

never will.

What makes us special is our greasy relationship with FOOTBALL in general ...

on a floorboard of a HUPMOBILE in Ohio ... PAPA BEAR ...

invented what you see.

But whats the back angle on distribution rights ?

I need a commercial for my market cut in HERE !

Between local news and weather.
  7. Chicago_66

Chicago_66 Veteran

Ratings:
    +404 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    95ß
    Here's a tweet you might be fond of then JABF. From OTA's today.

Bob LeGere ‏@BobLeGere 4m
    #Bears DE Jared Allen on his legacy: "I want people to say 'He did it the right way. Not a guy who was stealing paychecks.' "
    • Like Like x 1
  8. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,327 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,506ß
    I agree w/this 100%. He'd have 1 or 2 big games and then disapear for the other 14-15 games and people acted like he was the best to ever play the position. Then he got hurt and dragged on his rehab, no thx.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,760ß
    I saw that too and wondered if just maybe if was a little slam on Pep. I have to admit that as great a player as he is I lost some respect for Pep last year. He chose when to turn it on and when not to and to me that's an unforgivable sin. He played liked he was trying to play his way off the team and he succeeded. Hope he happy being a 3-4 OLB up in the cheese tundra.
  10. jackiejokeman

jackiejokeman Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +215 / 2 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    521ß
    Time to move on ...
  11. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,760ß
    When I look at this years team across the board and on bother sides of the ball I can't recall one in recent memory with more front line talent and depth than this one has. You'd have to dip back 30 years for that and I'm still not sure the '80s Bears were any stronger in that regard. Better at some positions maybe but this current team is a pretty good match.

I've been saying for several weeks that one thing Phil Emery wasn't gonna allow to happen again is to be short on quality personnel. The cap situation he was left with last year made it impossible to get the type of talent he was able to afford this year and he bought as much talent and depth as he could afford to restock that defense.

Now it's up to the coaching staff to assemble them into efficient and productive units.
    • Like Like x 2
  12. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +829 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    876ß
    I agree, time for the coaches to Get-R_DUN.
    • Like Like x 2
  13. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,327 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,506ß
    Luckily I think we have th ecoaches in place to do just that
  14. Chicago_66

Chicago_66 Veteran

Ratings:
    +404 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    95ß
    I thought that was interesting about the Hixon comment as well, he didn't just praise the players but also noted we have the coaches in place to make a run. I really hope we can get more out of these linebackers, the potential is there in most if not all of them to have a very good crew of backers top to bottom. But potential and production and two very different beasts.
    • Like Like x 1
  15. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,327 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,506ß
    Ya I noticed that comment also, and I think it's going to attract FA's to our team.

While it might not be camp Lovie Dovie anymore, it's definately a professionally run org instead of the stinky clown shoes it was over the last decade.
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Chicago_66

Chicago_66 Veteran

Ratings:
    +404 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    95ß
    Exactly, in part I think that's what attracted Allen and it will hold true for our future signings. I think that was the first time I started really buying into Trestman, when we heard it was no longer Lovie's camp and the pace was out of this world. If you want to relax you sign somewhere else but if you want to go to a team that is professional and moving forward with a single mindset, working towards the Super Bowl, then come on over.
    • Like Like x 2
  17. jackiejokeman

jackiejokeman Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +215 / 2 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    521ß
    It looks like we have somthing going on here where for the first time in the 7 years I have been on this board ...

nobody is out right pissed at the draft. Although I cant agree with everything ... what we did in FA-DRAFT-UDFA

impressed the shit out of me. I have to come up with a whole new way of thinking about our beloved BEARS.

I mean I could see the option pass tearing teams apart. The defense WAS addressed ...

not putting off until next year and the year after that like under the Angelo regime with the offense.

BTW ... Ive been on another BEARS board since 1996 and they think just like this board does ...

they dont have any major complaints with how this off season is going down so far.

Ive never seen that before. Theres this optimistic "SHOW ME" attitude floating around Chicagoland these days.
    • Like Like x 1
  18. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,760ß
    It's hard to see how any more could have been done jackie. If you run the list on down the line it's tough to find a bad move.

In 2013 we needed a new OLine and despite some cap limitations Emery found a way to get that done in FA and the draft. This year the offense needed to know who would lead then and at his earliest opportunity he put Cutler in that chair or at least 3 years and up to 7 years if he's successful. Smart move. Now there's no doubt at all about who the offensive leader will be.

He makes sure the line stays intact by extending Slauson and add experienced depth in de la Puente and Britton and we still have a number of young linemen who'll be fighting for one or two backup spots. He gets Marshall taken care of before that became a potential distraction and the only spot where we are a bit thin is at TE. I think we have to give him a pass there because the FA pickin's were pretty damn slim and the draft wasn't any better. If Onobun doesn't step up watch the waiver wire for some vet help.

He did the same thing with the DLine this year as he did with the OLine last year and then some. Three top 20 DEs in FA and two top draft picks added to Paea and Collins both of whom are solid players. Plus there's gonna be an all out war between four or five other guys for the one of two spots left. The guys who won't make this roster will be better than those we started last year. That's a very talented and deep line on paper.

We even added a top rookie punter and a kid who has the potential to give us the kind of return threat we had in Hester but for far less $$$. Even the moves he's made to upgrade the back end of the roster are positives. That's what I wanted to see. The way GB has managed to stay on top for so long without spending big $$$ in FA has been by developing talent from the 2nd and 3rd tiers of their roster and coaching those guys well enough to have them step up when needed. If we hope to keep gaining on them we need to do the same.

He took care of adding two young LBs last year and by virtue of moving McClellin and signing Jones as an UDFA plus a couple of holdovers and a FA addition the LB talent is there. They just need to learn how to play the game at this level and they made a coaching change to make that possible.
    • Like Like x 2
  19. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,760ß
    It's coming around. Defensive players wanted to play for Lovie but no so much with offensive players and obviously not with OCs. Trestman has had to his own selling job to do and in this case he's had Emery to help him with it. I don't think JA ever worked that way. He had an arrogance Emery just doesn't have and Emery is far tougher minded about how to stay on course and get the job done.
  20. jackiejokeman

jackiejokeman Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +215 / 2 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    521ß
    I couldnt ask for a better GM at this point in time , the problem is there ... the problem is addressed.

Hes thinking the way they do in Seattle and Frisco , there aint tomorrow , theres right now... period.

Other teams are in the usual "rebuilding/retooling " mode , but not us.

In fact every other team seems to be copying US in the way we used to think ... which is a good thing.

This team is thinking theres not enough time for that anymore. It has to be now.

Maybe not a SuperBowl right away ... but by God ... the 1984 BEARS !