Bears on the prowl for RB help

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by little bear, Apr 8, 2014.

1. little bear

little bear Assistant Head Coach

Ratings:
    +695 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    403ß
    http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap20...cago-bears-on-the-prowl-for-running-back-help

The Chicago Bears took a look at more than just free-agent quarterback Josh Freeman on Monday.

Desperately searching for help in the backfield, the team also brought in unemployed running backs Javon Ringer and Phillip Tanner, according to Brad Biggs of the Chicago Tribune.

One month removed from May's draft, the Bears are paper thin at the position behind Matt Forte. Coach Marc Trestman used Forte as his bell-cow runner one season ago, with the starter amassing 940 snaps to just 140 for the since-departed Michael Bush. The only other back on the roster is Michael Ford, a second-year runner who didn't register a carry last season.

Ringer has battled knee injuries throughout his career and didn't see action in 2013. Tanner piled up just 149 yards over three seasons with the Dallas Cowboys, telling us all we need to know about the running back market here in April.

Considering Chicago has no known interest in looking at the released Chris Johnson, we continue to view the Bears as a logical candidate to add a runner in the draft.
  2. Grizzblue

Grizzblue Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +445 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    48ß
    I have suspected that the team is not very sold on Ford as some think. I also suspect that they want someone to spell forte reliably so we can limit his abuse, and the chances we lose him as he gets older. Forte is at the age where decline usually sets in for RBs. Now he shows no signs of that, and I don't expect much dropoff at least this year but RB2 I think is a bigger need then we give it credit for.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. mdbearz

mdbearz Veteran

Ratings:
    +282 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    21ß
    I actually think that the Draft would be a good place to pick up a RB.

With all the FA moves that we have made it makes it a little more feasible to draft a guy on the second day.

I think Emery is looking for depth at nearly every position possible, he simply does not want to get caught with his pants down again like last year where we were picking up guys off the street or having rookies play.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,743 / 3 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,319ß
    I'd agree with you there Grizz. I guess the benefit is that as the importance of the RB position has been downgraded as much as it has we have a pretty good chance of scoring one without overpaying a vet or needing to spend a higher draft pick on one. There are a dozen of more in the draft that will probably go between the 4th and 7th rounds and more like Ford who won't be drafted at all. I'm curious to see what they're looking for in a back. Is it a guy like Bush with size and power or a smaller back with a skill set more like Forte's.
  5. draw2anderson35

draw2anderson35 Veteran

Ratings:
    +77 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    I don't see Forte carrying much less of a load in 2014 than 2013. Much like soul said above I do not see them paying for a veteran back-up (burned on the last two (Bush & Taylor) and probably going the way of filling it by committee.

A late round guy (maybe even UDFA) that I like is James White from Wisconsin. Small frame, but I can see him being a solid special team contributor. I saw a few B1G games of his and what impressed me the most was his compete level. After contact he was always keeping his lower body moving (something we didn't see in Bush much) and his smaller size helped him squeak out of a few tackles.
  6. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,144 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    454ß
    I agree. And RB's can go downhill in a year. We've seen that countless times over the years. They reach a point where the wear and tear and injuries mount up and they just hit the wall & become ineffective. Also, we've been fairly lucky with Forte and injuries. That could also change on any given play. The Bears should have no trouble bringing in a solid #2 if they are not sold on Ford. The RB position seems relatively easy to fill as compared with other positions.
  7. short faced bear

short faced bear Assistant Head Coach DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,178 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    57ß
    Now's the time for depth, rb, te and we all know about the D. If Emery can land a good rb on day two of the draft I believe he can find some UDFA to develop as well.

Did Bush sign w/anyone yet?
  8. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,743 / 3 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,319ß
    I just punched up an NFL Profile on White. Being a Bucky fan I've been watching him since he was a Frosh running behind Clay and Ball and as an outside runner he was far better than Ball and he actually was pretty damn good doing the between the tackles North/South stuff too. He drives hard on contact always stretching for that last half yard or so. Blocking on blitz pickups would be the most immediate concern we'd have with the kid but that's gonna be true of just about any college back we draft. Taking him near the tale end of the draft doesn't involve a whole lot of risk for any team so we'll see how it breaks for him come judgment weekend.
  9. lklrlolnlilklsox

lklrlolnlilklsox Position Coach

Ratings:
    +299 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    44ß
    I suspect the team is more sold on ford than most would suspect to keep him this long as their only backup. They had to be sold enough to keep him on the squad last year, where he was blocked from making an impact at both of his key spots by higher profile and much better paid players in Bush and Hester.