Bears part ways with QB Blanchard to reach roster limit

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by soulman, Aug 27, 2013.

1. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,761ß
    Blanchard could be next Bear to go
    [​IMG]
    Bears quarterback Matt Blanchard. (Brian Cassella/Tribune photo / August 9, 2013)
    By Brad BiggsTribune reporter
    11:05 p.m. CDT, August 26, 2013

The Bears must make one more roster move by 3 p.m. Tuesday to reach the NFL limit of 75 players and the final spot could come from quarterback Matt Blanchard.

The second-year player from Wis.-Whitewater suffered a fractured knuckle on his left, non-throwing hand in the second exhibition game, and the team could clear the spot with Blanchard by reaching an injury settlement.

The Bears were pleased with the development of the undrafted free agent from a year ago during the offseason but the injury, which occurred when he was sacked on a botched screen pass against the Chargers, complicated matters. The team might have been aiming to move Blanchard to the practice squad after final cuts but now that he is injured, Blanchard can seek a settlement from the team commensurate to the number of weeks he is expected to miss.

If the team reaches a settlement with Blanchard, he would not be eligible to re-join the team until after Week 10. That would create the possibility Blanchard could sign with another team after he is healthy and the time frame for the settlement is complete.

Jordan Palmer will start Thursday night against the Browns at Soldier Field and Trent Edwards is expected to relieve him. The Bears could release both Palmer and Edwards at final cuts and one or both could still be on the street in the event a need came up during the season. In that event, the team would have a veteran with a working knowledge of Marc Trestman's offense. Starter Jay Cutler and backup Josh McCown will not play against Cleveland.

bmbiggs@tribune.com
    Twitter @BradBiggs
  2. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,761ß
    Hmmmm........this is a little puzzling.
  3. GermansbombedPH

GermansbombedPH Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +53 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    34ß
    we're going to draft our new QB in the next draft anyway....
  4. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,628 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,830ß
    German, true that, and b/c of the inj he wasn't able to unseat the awfullness that is the current backup, but at this point it is what it is. If he's not able to play then move on.... Palmer or Edwards will be the cut after him, along w/one of the FB's, and really how is anyone getting cut before Fendi On a Bun
  5. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,761ß
    I can't figure out why an injury to his left hand should keep him out so long that they need to consider and injury settlement but maybe it's part of the plan. They can bring him back a little more than half way through the season without having to expose him to waivers like they would if the put him on the IR or tried to sign him to the PS.

I guess they figure he's not gonna be ready for the opener but since Trestman wants 3 QBs it'll have to be Green or Palmer holding the clip board to begin with but later on they can cut him and bring Blanchard back. As high as they seem to be on him I'm sure they don't want to lose him on waivers so this may be the scheme they're hatching.
  6. weneedmorelinemen

weneedmorelinemen Veteran

Ratings:
    +409 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    141ß
    No one is going to sign a guy with a broken knuckle out from under us. He can't play until the thing is healed, and there's a thousand guys out there like him. He'll be there if we still want him.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,628 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,830ß
    Soul, he cannot take the snap w/a broken offhand.
  8. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,628 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,830ß
    Soul, he cannot take the snap w/a broken offhand.
  9. weneedmorelinemen

weneedmorelinemen Veteran

Ratings:
    +409 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    141ß
    I don't think Trestman was ever considering keeping 3 QBs. I think these two guys are just rent-a-players to get through the preseason.

If they do go the 3 QB route, they will probably cut Palmer or Edwards (whichever one they keep) right before the season, then re-sign them so they are week to week and can be cut anytime without being on the hook for their contract.

It might not seem like it, but I like Blanchard's potential. But I don't think the team should bend over backwards to protect the guy, and he's not ready right now to step into a real game. I think posters are overvaluing him because, I don't know, he's a Bear and that's what we do. He still needs tons of development. Teams will snatch a kid they think is ready to play, and Blanchard is not ready.
  10. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,052 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,776ß
    I was really hoping that training camp & the pre-season could have been a golden opportunity for Trestman to begin developing Blanchard. I realize it's not the end of the world that our 3rd string QB had an injury. But it really was disappointing to me, because I wanted to see if Trestman really is a QB guru - and not just a hyped up guru like Mike Tice was with the OL. I saw Blanchard as his first "student" .....a youngster who seems to have the physical and mental tools to be a decent QB under the tutelage of a solid NFL coach like Trestman.

Once the real season begins, there really is no time to dink with a project QB. They basically fall to the next pre-season before they get serious developmental work. It would have been fantastic to have him play in game 3 and game 4 of the pre-season and get a ton of work.

So at best we lost a year here with Blanchard. Sure, we can draft another guy, or start again with Blanchard in 2014 - but it's a year lost, IMHO. Again, it's not the end of the world, but it is a disappointment. If he's gone until week 10, that's a real kick in the groin.
  11. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,628 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,830ß
    as long as cutler isn't hurt, and McCown never has to see the field it's not the end of the world.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,761ß
    True but I'd think there are casts or protective padding that can be worn. Didn't Favre play with as broken left thumb?
  13. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,628 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,830ß
    Farve probably did, but that dude is/was amazing, and not a 3rd stringer.

I wanted Blanchard on the team, I thought what little time he has in camp and pre season made it sound like he well could have taken over the 2nd spot, especially w/how bad McCown has looked. It could also be the severity or which finger it was on. But much like Allen v Ford at this point it really doesn't matter 3rd qb isn't going to see the field and 3rd rb isn't going to get much time either, barring inj's mind you.
  14. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,761ß
    He's been quoted in an interview saying that he intends to keep three. I would have thought otherwise too but that's what he's saying so that's what I went with.

I think you have the strategy for how to roster Green or Palmer too because I believe that if they do an injury settlement with Blanchard once he's healthy they intend to bring him back. No one else may want him if he's injured either but if they expose him to waivers he can be signed to another teams PS but if later in the year we bring him back on put him on our PS he can only be taken by a team that will put him on their active roster and keep him there.

A few teams have lost their starting QBs and may end up playing guys who are no better than Blanchard. I'll still say that he's not a guy you'd want to expose to waivers where he can be "claimed" by another team. Doing it this way, if that's what happens, means he'd need to agree to sign with someone else and I don't think he'll do that. Not when the door to him becoming a #2 here is open. The rest of these guys are not who were looking for as far as a future #2.
  15. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,761ß
    Yeah, if that happens it's gonna be very difficult to win games against better defenses and any hope of the playoffs is dashed. Still, the rules say somebody has to take those snaps and play 60 minutes of football so you ya' run what ya' brung and that's McCown. It really could be a whole lot worse Ric. I know you don't believe that but I do. McCown is much better than he played last Friday night.

EDIT: I'll say this though. I have high hopes for Blanchard. Even though he played for a Div. III school he dominated at that level and probably could have been a decent QB for a Div I school had he gone there. I think he's potentially a Cutler Jr. but without the cannon for an arm and that because of his athleticism and mobility he makes a perfect backup for Cutler. I'm pretty sure we'll spend a pick on a QB next spring or sign a younger FA but I'd still like to see Blanchard get his shot and I'm gonna be disappointed if he doesn't.
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2013
  16. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,628 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,830ß
    He actually in that quote said he'd like to keep 4. But that he's been out of the league for awhile and might well be willing to change his mind.

McCown is a career sub 60% comp percentage guy and is more likely to throw a pick or fubmle then he is to lead the team to a TD, ya the team could do worse....but not much.
  17. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,052 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,776ß
    Favre played through everything. It was like right out of a Monty Python Holy Grail scene :-)

• Like Like x 1
  18. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,628 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,830ß
    merely a flesh wound; come on ya pansy!
    • Like Like x 1
  19. butka

butka Veteran

Ratings:
    +133 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    16ß
    I think Favre was milking that thumb injury and it wasn't that severe. When he'd throw a touchdown, he'd be high-fiving with the same thumb. When he'd throw a pick, he would grab the thing like it was about to fall off.
    • Like Like x 3
  20. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,761ß
    I think any comment about keeping four was in jest but before Blanchard went down I would have said he'd keep all three and let Blanchard run the scout team and for now I think he may keep three as well it just depends on how well Green and Palmer play. If they're horrible there's no sense in keeping either. They'll both be on the street and we can pickup one up later if needed.

McCown is 58% career passer so not far below 60% but I'll give you the picks and fumbles thing. He's also played for some shitty teams behind some very crappy lines and been sacked over 100 times as well. That tends to create fumbles and force picks. With any luck after he made his boneheaded thrown last Friday Trestman will have had a little meeting with him like he did with Jay and we won't see that again. You also have to consider that if the pass had been going to Marshall or Jeffery it might not have been a pick but it was still not a good throw.

If they're running a pared down offense with Cutler then it has to be even more pared down for McCown and the subs. I still say put him out there with the full compliment of weapons Cutler has and he'll do OK.