Bears part ways with QB Blanchard to reach roster limit

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by soulman, Aug 27, 2013.

1. soulman

soulman Coordinator
    SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    4,207ß
    Please Register or Log in to Remove this Advertisement!
    Blanchard could be next Bear to go
    [​IMG]
    Bears quarterback Matt Blanchard. (Brian Cassella/Tribune photo / August 9, 2013)
    By Brad BiggsTribune reporter
    11:05 p.m. CDT, August 26, 2013

The Bears must make one more roster move by 3 p.m. Tuesday to reach the NFL limit of 75 players and the final spot could come from quarterback Matt Blanchard.

The second-year player from Wis.-Whitewater suffered a fractured knuckle on his left, non-throwing hand in the second exhibition game, and the team could clear the spot with Blanchard by reaching an injury settlement.

The Bears were pleased with the development of the undrafted free agent from a year ago during the offseason but the injury, which occurred when he was sacked on a botched screen pass against the Chargers, complicated matters. The team might have been aiming to move Blanchard to the practice squad after final cuts but now that he is injured, Blanchard can seek a settlement from the team commensurate to the number of weeks he is expected to miss.

If the team reaches a settlement with Blanchard, he would not be eligible to re-join the team until after Week 10. That would create the possibility Blanchard could sign with another team after he is healthy and the time frame for the settlement is complete.

Jordan Palmer will start Thursday night against the Browns at Soldier Field and Trent Edwards is expected to relieve him. The Bears could release both Palmer and Edwards at final cuts and one or both could still be on the street in the event a need came up during the season. In that event, the team would have a veteran with a working knowledge of Marc Trestman's offense. Starter Jay Cutler and backup Josh McCown will not play against Cleveland.

bmbiggs@tribune.com
    Twitter @BradBiggs

2. soulman

soulman Coordinator
    SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    4,207ß
    Hmmmm........this is a little puzzling.

3. GermansbombedPH

GermansbombedPH Pro-Bowler

ßearz ßuckz:
    120ß
    we're going to draft our new QB in the next draft anyway....

4. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka
    SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    3,896ß
    German, true that, and b/c of the inj he wasn't able to unseat the awfullness that is the current backup, but at this point it is what it is. If he's not able to play then move on.... Palmer or Edwards will be the cut after him, along w/one of the FB's, and really how is anyone getting cut before Fendi On a Bun

5. soulman

soulman Coordinator
    SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    4,207ß
    I can't figure out why an injury to his left hand should keep him out so long that they need to consider and injury settlement but maybe it's part of the plan. They can bring him back a little more than half way through the season without having to expose him to waivers like they would if the put him on the IR or tried to sign him to the PS.

I guess they figure he's not gonna be ready for the opener but since Trestman wants 3 QBs it'll have to be Green or Palmer holding the clip board to begin with but later on they can cut him and bring Blanchard back. As high as they seem to be on him I'm sure they don't want to lose him on waivers so this may be the scheme they're hatching.

6. weneedmorelinemen

weneedmorelinemen Pro-Bowler

ßearz ßuckz:
    545ß
    No one is going to sign a guy with a broken knuckle out from under us. He can't play until the thing is healed, and there's a thousand guys out there like him. He'll be there if we still want him.

• Like Like x 1
  7. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka
    SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    3,896ß
    Soul, he cannot take the snap w/a broken offhand.

8. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka
    SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    3,896ß
    Soul, he cannot take the snap w/a broken offhand.

9. weneedmorelinemen

weneedmorelinemen Pro-Bowler

ßearz ßuckz:
    545ß
    I don't think Trestman was ever considering keeping 3 QBs. I think these two guys are just rent-a-players to get through the preseason.

If they do go the 3 QB route, they will probably cut Palmer or Edwards (whichever one they keep) right before the season, then re-sign them so they are week to week and can be cut anytime without being on the hook for their contract.

It might not seem like it, but I like Blanchard's potential. But I don't think the team should bend over backwards to protect the guy, and he's not ready right now to step into a real game. I think posters are overvaluing him because, I don't know, he's a Bear and that's what we do. He still needs tons of development. Teams will snatch a kid they think is ready to play, and Blanchard is not ready.

10. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Assistant Head Coach
    SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    5,102ß
    I was really hoping that training camp & the pre-season could have been a golden opportunity for Trestman to begin developing Blanchard. I realize it's not the end of the world that our 3rd string QB had an injury. But it really was disappointing to me, because I wanted to see if Trestman really is a QB guru - and not just a hyped up guru like Mike Tice was with the OL. I saw Blanchard as his first "student" .....a youngster who seems to have the physical and mental tools to be a decent QB under the tutelage of a solid NFL coach like Trestman.

Once the real season begins, there really is no time to dink with a project QB. They basically fall to the next pre-season before they get serious developmental work. It would have been fantastic to have him play in game 3 and game 4 of the pre-season and get a ton of work.

So at best we lost a year here with Blanchard. Sure, we can draft another guy, or start again with Blanchard in 2014 - but it's a year lost, IMHO. Again, it's not the end of the world, but it is a disappointment. If he's gone until week 10, that's a real kick in the groin.