Bears part ways with QB Blanchard to reach roster limit

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by soulman, Aug 27, 2013.

1. weneedmorelinemen

weneedmorelinemen Veteran

Ratings:
    +387 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    108ß
    Okay, I haven't heard that he wanted to keep 3, just that Blanchard was a longshot to make the team and we weren't carrying a 4th QB to step in when MB was hurt. It'll probably be Palmer. He'll be the cheaper option, and it seems like that's who got signed first and will play first in the 4th preseason game.

Teams that are desperate for a QB right now like the Bills and the Jets need a guy that can start tomorrow in a pinch. They would not even look at Blanchard. He's hurt and he's not ready to play yet. Hell, they'd sign Graham Harrell before they signed MB. He's healthy and has been a #2 before.
  2. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,760ß
    Are you implying Favre was a bit of a drama queen!!!! Oh heavens no! ;) LOL
  3. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,323 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    366ß
    If Cutler gets hurt (for anything beyond a game or two), it doesn't matter who the backup is, fellas. That's why so much of this discussion of who the #2 is--McC, Blanchard, Joe Blow--is purely academic and meaningless. We don't have a Kaepernick waiting in the wings and few teams do. All you can ask your #2 to do realistically is eke you out a win against a mediocre team while your starter heals.

I do admit I am surprised by this article and have to believe the team is looking at some chicanery to keep Blanchard around at some point. They aren't going to permanently give up on a guy they were recently high on (even as a reserve) just because he has a one-month injury to his non-throwing hand.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,275 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,437ß
    You never know what you have waiting in the wings until they get into the game...unless they've previously been in the game.
  5. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,760ß
    Then how come you're so down on McCown? He did beat the Vikes in 2011 didn't he and so far this year we haven't seen him running the first string offense so all if as we can go on is what happened in a regular season starts he's 1-1. You can take his career stuff just so far especially playing for the crap teams he played for. Here he's been OK as a backup and he'll do until we find better.
  6. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,760ß
  7. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,275 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,437ß
    "...unless they've previously been in the game" McCown has how many starts in the NFL?

Bears/Blanchard has reached a settlement according to Biggs
  8. shark86x

shark86x Pro-Bowler SuperFan

Ratings:
    +704 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    316ß
  9. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,760ß
    Not in the NFL Ric, with this team. He's played in three started two, completed over 60% of his passes and won one of the two games he started. He's playing with more talent at his disposal here than he's ever had, the line is starting to hold up in pass protection, and he has a very good running game to work with. I don't he's had anywhere near this much to work with before so if he blows it running this bunch then I'd agree he's bad but so far we haven't seen him with this bunch.

No shocker on the Blanchard thing once Biggs popped the cork on it. He's seldom wrong about stuff like that. My guess is that they'll resign him later this fall. Bad break for him and for us since it stunts his progress but it is what it is.
  10. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,275 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,437ß
    No in the NFL, your man crush on Campbell last year showed why it's NFL and not team. McCown also threw 2x's as many int's and fubmled as many times as he threw td's: 2td's 4int's and 2 fumbles...that was 2011 he wasn't allowed to see the field last year, he didn't help this team win anymore then Rex did in that miracle AZ game....In the 3 game he played in he only ever threw 50:50 td to int, and the one time he did that he fumble 2x's, removing even that below average display of garbage. The next time it was 1 td 2 int's and the game after that it was 1 int. Ya he's a stalwart of "game manager"....if by "game manager" you mean shitty turn over machine.
  11. little bear

little bear Assistant Head Coach

Ratings:
    +908 / 1 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    899ß
    Thanks San Diego. :mad:
  12. lklrlolnlilklsox

lklrlolnlilklsox Position Coach

Ratings:
    +316 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    61ß
    I keep Blanchard on the 53-man, regardless. I've heard it's a 4-6 week injury, two weeks have already passed. He can sit back and get healthy as the third string, because we won't need him.
  13. little bear

little bear Assistant Head Coach

Ratings:
    +908 / 1 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    899ß
    http://www.chicagotribune.com/sport...bears-matt-blanchard-20130827,0,5073801.story

"Because of the settlement, Blanchard will not be eligible to re-sign with the Bears until after Week 10. This also precludes him from joining the team’s practice squad. Blanchard will be free to sign with another organization after the length of the injury settlement has expired, so even if the Bears want him back down the road, that might be impossible. Blanchard was not on the field for the team's practice Tuesday at Halas Hall."
  14. lklrlolnlilklsox

lklrlolnlilklsox Position Coach

Ratings:
    +316 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    61ß
    Fuck, that's dumb.
  15. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,760ß
    Knock it off with all the homophobic insults. Who the fuck do you think you are Mr. D's apprentice?

I made my point simple and clear. He's won one of two games he's started for the BEARS! I don't give a rat's ass what he did anywhere else. I also don't care much about his stats then as opposed to now and going forward. He's in Chicago and playing with a much better compliment of players and blockers than he's had in the past and we have not seen him play with those skill player or behind that line. I'm willing to wait and see how he does with this group before I label him a failure. You can do as you fuckin' eh well please but stop dodging the issue with nonsense. Deal with what I gave you as my reason and that's what I posted above.

I also NEVER called him a "stalwart" anything Ric. You see that's your whole problem. You make up words to put in peoples mouths they didn't say and you twist things to fit your own point of view. You don't debate issues. You dodge them. If someone tries to correct your incorrect assumptions you change direction or just go looking for more reasons to back you up and half the time or more the stats you quote are inaccurate. So how do you arrive at your conclusion based on so many false assumptions and inaccurate information? Sorry Ric I ain't buying your opinions any longer.

That why I've stopped debating with you Ric and now after that little slur above you can just go fuck yourself for good. I'm not even gonna post to you any longer. It a fuckin' waste of my time.
  16. Adibear

Adibear Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
  17. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,275 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,437ß
    homophobic insults? no insult you had a legit man crush on the Campbell soup. We had all sorts of fights on this very subject b/c of how excited and how great he was going to be if Cutler went down and I told you then that he was a failure...and you're still fighting it but now w/an EVEN WORSE QB then Captain Checkdown.

OOOOOoo you made your point simple and clear? He won two games while throwing more 4 ints to 2 td's HE WON while turning the ball over at 2x's the click of TD's!!! Sorry no, the D won those games.

You never bought my opinion, you have always bought into the fallacy of a "experienced qb" see Jason cup o' crap Campbell and it failed, you buy into McCown b/c he "won games" all while turning over the ball at a 2 to 1 ratio, not including 2 more fumbles. You and I are the mirror opposites, you don't back down, you never admit your mistakes.

i'm hardly hurt by that, and again no slur, everyone has man crushes I have one on Forte and Wootton; I just have better taste that's all ;p.
  18. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,653 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,154ß
    I hope Blanchard will end up on our practice squad. It still sounds like Trestman likes what he sees in him. Just a tough thing to have happen to Matt.
  19. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,275 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,437ß
    Eh I think that ship has sailed, I'd assume he'll be better before wk 10 and will end up somewhere else. Maybe if it's on someone elses PS they'll snag him back week 10, maybe not. I think the best point made was the person that said the Bears are drafting a qb next year regardless if Blanchard was here or not. So a rather unfortunate inj just clears that up a little bit more.
  20. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,653 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,154ß
    Maybe not Ric. He passed up multiple offers to re-sign with the Bears this year according to Brad Biggs. If Trestman is being honest with us, and he does like Blanchard's talent, then we could get him back. From Blanchard's standpoint Chicago is a good fit for him. The aging backup QB won't be here much longer and Cutler is in a contract year - AND - this is his home part of the country. I'm not saying it will happen, but it sure wouldn't surprise me to see Blanchard back on the PS. Then, of course, I'm fine if we draft a youngster and just let the two young QB guys battle it out in camp. Let Trestman pick the guy he thinks is best to develop.