Bears part ways with QB Blanchard to reach roster limit

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by soulman, Aug 27, 2013.

1. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka
    SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    3,569ß
    Please Register or Log in to Remove this Advertisement!
    as long as cutler isn't hurt, and McCown never has to see the field it's not the end of the world.

• Like Like x 1
  2. soulman

soulman Hall of Famer
    SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    1,740ß
    True but I'd think there are casts or protective padding that can be worn. Didn't Favre play with as broken left thumb?

3. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka
    SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    3,569ß
    Farve probably did, but that dude is/was amazing, and not a 3rd stringer.

I wanted Blanchard on the team, I thought what little time he has in camp and pre season made it sound like he well could have taken over the 2nd spot, especially w/how bad McCown has looked. It could also be the severity or which finger it was on. But much like Allen v Ford at this point it really doesn't matter 3rd qb isn't going to see the field and 3rd rb isn't going to get much time either, barring inj's mind you.

4. soulman

soulman Hall of Famer
    SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    1,740ß
    He's been quoted in an interview saying that he intends to keep three. I would have thought otherwise too but that's what he's saying so that's what I went with.

I think you have the strategy for how to roster Green or Palmer too because I believe that if they do an injury settlement with Blanchard once he's healthy they intend to bring him back. No one else may want him if he's injured either but if they expose him to waivers he can be signed to another teams PS but if later in the year we bring him back on put him on our PS he can only be taken by a team that will put him on their active roster and keep him there.

A few teams have lost their starting QBs and may end up playing guys who are no better than Blanchard. I'll still say that he's not a guy you'd want to expose to waivers where he can be "claimed" by another team. Doing it this way, if that's what happens, means he'd need to agree to sign with someone else and I don't think he'll do that. Not when the door to him becoming a #2 here is open. The rest of these guys are not who were looking for as far as a future #2.

5. soulman

soulman Hall of Famer
    SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    1,740ß
    Yeah, if that happens it's gonna be very difficult to win games against better defenses and any hope of the playoffs is dashed. Still, the rules say somebody has to take those snaps and play 60 minutes of football so you ya' run what ya' brung and that's McCown. It really could be a whole lot worse Ric. I know you don't believe that but I do. McCown is much better than he played last Friday night.

EDIT: I'll say this though. I have high hopes for Blanchard. Even though he played for a Div. III school he dominated at that level and probably could have been a decent QB for a Div I school had he gone there. I think he's potentially a Cutler Jr. but without the cannon for an arm and that because of his athleticism and mobility he makes a perfect backup for Cutler. I'm pretty sure we'll spend a pick on a QB next spring or sign a younger FA but I'd still like to see Blanchard get his shot and I'm gonna be disappointed if he doesn't.

#15 soulman, Aug 27, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2013
  6. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka
    SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    3,569ß
    He actually in that quote said he'd like to keep 4. But that he's been out of the league for awhile and might well be willing to change his mind.

McCown is a career sub 60% comp percentage guy and is more likely to throw a pick or fubmle then he is to lead the team to a TD, ya the team could do worse....but not much.

7. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Assistant Head Coach
    SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    4,498ß
    Favre played through everything. It was like right out of a Monty Python Holy Grail scene :-)

• Like Like x 1
  8. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka
    SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    3,569ß
    merely a flesh wound; come on ya pansy!

• Like Like x 1
  9. butka

butka Veteran

ßearz ßuckz:
    21ß
    I think Favre was milking that thumb injury and it wasn't that severe. When he'd throw a touchdown, he'd be high-fiving with the same thumb. When he'd throw a pick, he would grab the thing like it was about to fall off.

• Like Like x 3
  10. soulman

soulman Hall of Famer
    SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    1,740ß
    I think any comment about keeping four was in jest but before Blanchard went down I would have said he'd keep all three and let Blanchard run the scout team and for now I think he may keep three as well it just depends on how well Green and Palmer play. If they're horrible there's no sense in keeping either. They'll both be on the street and we can pickup one up later if needed.

McCown is 58% career passer so not far below 60% but I'll give you the picks and fumbles thing. He's also played for some shitty teams behind some very crappy lines and been sacked over 100 times as well. That tends to create fumbles and force picks. With any luck after he made his boneheaded thrown last Friday Trestman will have had a little meeting with him like he did with Jay and we won't see that again. You also have to consider that if the pass had been going to Marshall or Jeffery it might not have been a pick but it was still not a good throw.

If they're running a pared down offense with Cutler then it has to be even more pared down for McCown and the subs. I still say put him out there with the full compliment of weapons Cutler has and he'll do OK.