Bears' Peppers eager for some action

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by short faced bear, Aug 21, 2013.

1. short faced bear

short faced bear Assistant Head Coach DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,233 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    158ß
    After sitting out exhibitions so far, defensive end says he needs to get feel for game speed

By Brad Biggs, Chicago Tribune reporter

August 22, 2013

The most encouraging thing the Bears saw defensively last week was the line putting pressure on Chargers quarterback Philip Rivers without the presence of Julius Peppers.

But the defense's most dominant pass rusher, and unquestionably its most valuable player, is expected to make his exhibition debut Friday night against the Raiders in Oakland, Calif.

Coach Marc Trestman said the plan was to play Peppers last week before the end informed him just before kickoff that he wasn't quite right. While Trestman couldn't 100 percent commit to Peppers playing against the Raiders, he has looked good in practice.

Peppers tweaked a hamstring in the Aug. 3 practice at Soldier Field and then missed time at Olivet Nazarene University in Bourbonnais when he was excused for personal reasons. He did not play Aug. 9 against the Panthers.

"I feel pretty good," Peppers said Wednesday, adding he needs some preseason action. "You need to get a feel for the speed of the game. I haven't felt it in a long time."

Without Peppers and defensive tackle Henry Melton (concussion), the Bears sacked Rivers three times in four possessions with ends Corey Wootton and Shea McClellin and tackle Nate Collins breaking through.

As far as playing the starters Friday, Trestman indicated he might pull them at halftime. Typically, teams play the first string into the third quarter, but the Bears are interested in more time to evaluate players on the edge of the 53-man roster with first cuts to 75 looming Tuesday and the final cuts Aug. 31.

Heady stuff: Wide receiver Earl Bennett and Melton remained sidelined with concussions, and it's not a stretch to think neither will be ready until the Sept. 8 opener against the Bengals. Bennett was injured Aug. 2 and Melton against the Panthers. Before too long, conditioning could become an issue. Is there concern they could miss time in the regular season?

"They are both getting better and making progress," Trestman said. "We're going to be as upbeat as we can that they'll be ready to go."

Health beat: Trestman said last week that Jonathan Scott might practice this week, but that hasn't happened as the veteran offensive tackle battles a right knee injury.

He's running out of time to show he can work over an extended period without a setback.

"He's getting better every day," Trestman said. "We feel good enough that we'll see him get a little more work over the next 10 days. We're encouraged that he'll be working soon."

Also missing from practice were middle linebacker D.J. Williams (right calf), defensive end Cheta Ozougwu (hamstring), defensive tackle Corvey Irvin (left ankle), fullback Harvey Unga (rib), long snapper Pat Mannelly (rib) and quarterback Matt Blanchard (left hand).

Black hole: Trestman had his most success as an NFL assistant for the Raiders with a team that reached Super Bowl XXXVII and he has a special fondness for their fans.

"It was a great environment in Oakland," he said. "We got to know the fans and what they were really about not only at the stadium but away from the stadium. They really love their team and football. There's a little bit of villain there, but they really aren't. They're good people who come out to the stadium, in their own way, to support the team. It's a great environment for us to go into. The first half should be noisy. We have to play in the noise, and it'll be fun to do it."

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sport...2-bits-bears-chicago-20130822,0,1460021.story
  2. Mr. Deliverance

Mr. Deliverance Guest

Ratings:
    +109 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Pep is a badass. Glad his issues have nothing to do with the foot. And Bears fans need to stop looking at his cap figure and realize how important he is to that entire line. Staying playing like a boss.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. short faced bear

short faced bear Assistant Head Coach DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,233 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    158ß
    Yep, glad that foot really isn't an issue. With a strong DE rotation and resting Pep during garbage time both good and bad he should have a lot left in the tank for the home stretch of the regular season and hopefully the playoffs.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Mr. Deliverance

Mr. Deliverance Guest

Ratings:
    +109 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    That's right!
  5. jbunch14

jbunch14 Veteran

Ratings:
    +174 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    91ß
    I'm happy to pay the cap number this year, as Pep is one of the most dominant D players in the game. Next year however, I really hope that Shea and Corey step up and make the decision much easier. That money could be put to good use elsewhere.
  6. tbear1

tbear1 Veteran

Ratings:
    +209 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    163ß
    We are gong to need him this year. I have sme doubts on our capability on the inside D-line right now. Going into all of the contract renegotiations next spring, I don't see how we can pay his current salary next year. Time will tell.
  7. BearJim

BearJim Veteran SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +157 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    46ß
    Hopefully he'll consider renegotiating his contract next year. He's still a beast & hasn't show much if any signs of slowing down.
  8. jbunch14

jbunch14 Veteran

Ratings:
    +174 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    91ß
    I think with the ascendance of Wootton and McClellin, and hopefully a solid season from Paea and Collins, that Peppers would have to make a serious concession in order to return next year. He is still an amazing player, but he will be 34 next year, and his salary is huge. Would be awesome if he took a huge cut to stay around with this D, but I wouldn't count on it.
  9. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,332 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,506ß
    I'm very eager to see Peppers line up next to Melton line up next to Paea line up next to Wootton. We should have a very dominant DL this year, and they have guys like Shea and Collins to back them up, and hell maybe even Minter and Washington can earn some time if issues happen.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. BearJim

BearJim Veteran SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +157 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    46ß
    Lets just hope they stay healthy Ric.
  11. jackiejokeman

jackiejokeman Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +215 / 2 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    521ß
    I hope its a new way of thinking on DEFENSE, after the Frisco game.
  12. JPosh2012

JPosh2012 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +86 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Glad to see him back and glad to see him resting during the first two pre-season games. Let him save his energy for the strech run.
  13. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,760ß
    I'll be nice to see him playing opposite Wootton tonight which allows Tucker to move McClellin around to spell both of them or when one of the other moves to DT on long yardage passing downs. I'd like to see Melton get some game time in before the opener but this is giving Collins a lot of reps and it seems to be helping his game. He's doing well in this defense.

I want to watch Minter tonight too and see if he's progressing. He's in the 4th DT spot right now with Irvin hurt and it would be nice to see him make it. I think he plays the way we like our DTs to play. The other curiosity is who makes it as the 4th DE. Whiteside looked good pass rushing from the RDE spot but he looked awful against the run playing LDE. He continually got sucked inside and failed to hold the edge and that's where SD got some of their better runs. He needs to correct that tonight if he hopes to stick around. Gap control is big in this defense and he plain old fashioned wasn't manning his.
  14. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Position Coach

Ratings:
    +1,895 / 7 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,219ß
    How did Pepper play? The usual?