Bears' preseason schedule released

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by The Benjamin, Apr 9, 2014.

1. The Benjamin

The Benjamin George Halas Staff Member

Ratings:
    +2,297 / 7 / -9
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,798ß
    • By Michael C. Wright | April 9, 2014 3:40:13 PM PDT
    The NFL released the 2014 preseason schedule on Wednesday, and while the precise dates haven’t yet been set, the Chicago Bears host thePhiladelphia Eagles in their exhibition opener (weekend of Aug. 7-10), followed by another home outing on Aug. 14 against the Jacksonville Jaguars.

Chicago plays its next two opponents on the road in Seattle (Aug. 21-24), followed by the traditional preseason finale at Cleveland on Aug. 28 or Aug. 29.

What should be interesting is that Chicago plays preseason game No. 3 -- which is often when the starters receive their most significant action of the exhibition season -- against the defending Super Bowl champion Seahawks.

While it’s only the preseason, the opener against Philadelphia is also somewhat of a compelling matchup given that the Eagles smashed the Bears 54-11 at Lincoln Financial Field on Dec. 22, 2013. Had the Bears won the contest, they would’ve advanced to the postseason.

The club's Aug. 14 matchup against the Jaguars will be nationally televised on ESPN at 7 p.m. CT.

The exact dates and times for the other three matchups will be announced at a later date.
  2. Seqq34

Seqq34 Veteran

Ratings:
    +134 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    144ß
    love this schedule...good measuring stick on that 3rd game, even if it's pre-season
    • Like Like x 2
  3. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,761ß
    Cleveland again? Man, that's like having to eat a bologna sandwich every day for lunch for a year.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. JJ-30

JJ-30 Veteran

Ratings:
    +167 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    59ß
    We have Cleveland for a reason, it close to home no travel time, a quick ride home. No time off before the start of the season, so everyone should be really to go.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,761ß
    I know JJ but maybe St Louis or KC or Tennessee just once? They're in the neighborhood too. I love pizza but not every night.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Grizzblue

Grizzblue Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +503 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    113ß
    I never invest much into the PS, other than to see guys we don't know much about. I'm sure I'll be watching our rookies we get along with Shea at SAM, Bostic wherever he is and our S corps. But I love the sea game as PS game 3. Not really a measuring stick, because we all know despite being the "dress rehearsal" the real goal is for no one to get hurt. It will however be a good "tune up" esp for our offense. It lets our D see a similar back to Lacey and thats always good to get accustom to as well.

Anyone know when RS schedule is released?
  7. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,595 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    645ß
    Yeah, it gives you a little preview of the rookies but otherwise the PS is just a tryout for guys competing for the last 5 or so roster spots. They're pretty meaningless "games" IMO. Last year Bostic looked good in PS. That didn't translate when the games actually mattered later.

The only thing I care about in PS is not getting any key injuries (which happens every year--Keller, DeCastro, Cooper). I'm happy to go 0-4 losing 42-7 every time rather than losing a key player for an extended time in a worthless pseudo-contest.

Btw, Grizz, the RS schedule supposedly will be out next week or the week after at latest.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. MikeV

MikeV Rookie

Ratings:
    +39 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    36ß
    What about an even shorter trip, to Indianapolis. Probably be a little easier for either team to get a few extra fans, especially in Indy where there are quite a few Bears fans that would love to see any game action in person...like me.
    • Like Like x 2
  9. The Benjamin

Ratings:
    +2,297 / 7 / -9
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,798ß
    Go back a number of years, the perfect game four would have been the Cardinals
  10. dachuckster

dachuckster Veteran SuperFan

Ratings:
    +341 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    174ß
    Meaning when the Cardinals played on the South Side?
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. short faced bear

short faced bear Assistant Head Coach DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,364 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    389ß
    I agree with the previous posts about the PS. The only other thing that I would add is the PS is at least good to spot a glaring weakness or a trainwreck that was the OL several seasons back.
  12. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,761ß
    Oh yeah, Indy too. Why did I forget that? Oh yeah, now I remember. Everybody did after Manning left. LOL
  13. Seqq34

Seqq34 Veteran

Ratings:
    +134 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    144ß
    @Grizzblue & others- i know measuring stick is translated in many ways but it is just that in my mind and to have a quality team facing you in game 3, in what is considered the most realistic to regular season games is huge.

I guess i value preseason more than the rest cus it gives an opportunity to see situations and how players react, which isn't allowed in regular season games. I realize players go to a different level come regular season, but these games can provide excellent insight on depth and even how coaching is being applied to current roster.

It's not about a win to me. I really don't care if they lose all preseason, but how did they play? Were there struggles in certain positions to even grasp basic reads?...once again don't care if they make the tackle cus of the leveled mindset of players trying to just stay healthy, but were they in the right spot(s) to make the play? and so on...

IDK lol it's probably just my mindset, but to me it's a good measuring stick on team progress even though at times it can be misleading to what us fans see considering we don't know what situations the coaches are trying to invoke.
  14. The Benjamin

Ratings:
    +2,297 / 7 / -9
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,798ß
    The only preseason game I care about is the third. As others have said, measuring stick. As good ol Coach Green once said 'No one takes the the third game of the preseason like its bullshit'. If we are playing the defending champs, that will tell us a lot.
  15. dachuckster

Ratings:
    +341 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    174ß
    And our third game will be at Seattle. It should tell us a whole lot about what to expect this year.
  16. draw2anderson35

draw2anderson35 Veteran

Ratings:
    +99 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    25ß
    I believe I read before that the NFL picks two opponents and teams can make deals on the two other games. Which is why we have done the rotating home field with Cleveland for so many years.
  17. strockrocks

strockrocks Veteran

Ratings:
    +231 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    46ß
    It doesn't tell us much about what to expect this year at all. They don't game plan, plays are scripted, it's a time to experiment with stuff and the coaches don't care about a W or a L. Don't read too much into preseason. The only thing I get out of preseason is glaring mistakes or incorrect assignments. Just nobody get hurt and escape as quick as you can.....
  18. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,595 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    645ß
    Don't write anything into the PS, including the 3rd game. It's meaningless. Even though the starters play much more in the 3rd game, still no one is putting out max effort nor should they. Don't despair if we lose and don't pop the champagne if we win. It means very little. I think the '85 Super Bowl team went 1-3 or even 0-4 in preseason and they were all but unbeatable when the games actually mattered.
  19. dachuckster

Ratings:
    +341 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    174ß
    I'll be interested in seeing how the new defense operates against their offensive line. It won't be the same as a regular season game but it will have some value.
  20. little bear

little bear Assistant Head Coach

Ratings:
    +1,124 / 1 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,425ß
    2005 Indianapolis Colts

Preseason record: 0-5
    Regular season record: 14-2

2006 Indianapolis Colts

Preseason record: 1-3
    Regular season record: 12-4 (Super Bowl Champs)

2008 Detroit Lions

Preseason record: 4-0
    Regular season record: 0-16

Preseason doesn't mean anything. ;-)