Bears Put Jordan Lynch Through Private Workout.........

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by soulman, Apr 4, 2014.

1. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,761ß
    NIU Heisman finalist Jordan Lynch to work out privately for Bears at QB
    BY PATRICK FINLEY Staff Reporter April 3, 2014 9:31PM

[​IMG]
    Northern Illinois quarterback Jordan Lynch (6) passes the ball against Toledo during the first quarter of an NCAA college football game in Toledo, Ohio, Wednesday, Nov. 20, 2013. (AP Photo/Rick Osentoski)
    Jordan Lynch will work out for the Bears on April 18, according to multiple reports. The NIU and Mount Carmel High School alum had 6,209 career passing yards in college, but it’s unclear if the Bears view him as a true quarterback, despite the fact he will work out as such.

NFL teams have eyed the 6-foot, 216-pounder at running back and defensive back, in part because of his 4,343 collegiate rushing yards. He’s been put through running back and defensive back drills in his pro day and at the NFL Scouting Combine.

Lynch placed third in the 2013 Heisman Trophy vote.
  2. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,761ß
    Interesting news especially the part about his positional versatility. He's local so he's one the Bears can do a workout with. The others of 30 they can bring in can only interview. I'd love to know how it went. Seems like the Russell Wilson type.
  3. jackiejokeman

jackiejokeman Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +225 / 2 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    617ß
    Or Tim Tebow
  4. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,761ß
    Too small to be Tebow and no plastic Jesus on his dashboard either. ;)
  5. DaTreeBears

DaTreeBears Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +712 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    427ß
    Com'on man he can throw the ball and he does care if rains or freezes. I think this kind of gamble you take IF it makes sense meaning very very low or non-draft pick. I find no difference between him and Johnny boy and Johnny boy is going cost someone a hell of lot more for same gamble.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,761ß
    I think he's probably an UDFA but you can never tell. As much as he can do with his legs rushing and with his size somebody, even the Bears may convert him to a RB.

No plastic Jesus I'm bettin' on a St. Christopher's medal and some rosary beads if he went to HS. at Mt. Carmel. They don't care if it rains or freezes either. Them Chicago CHS League boys are tough. Gotta be, that's Notre Dame's farm club. LOL
  7. jackiejokeman

jackiejokeman Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +225 / 2 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    617ß
    Caleb Hanie?
  8. DaTreeBears

DaTreeBears Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +712 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    427ß
    If I recall a guy his size just won the SuperBowl.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,023 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,723ß
    I watched him play at NIU. Maybe Trestman sees something here that makes him believe he can build a solid QB out of him. He'll be a UFA so it would be cheap to invite him to camp and let Marc kick the tires on him.
  10. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Position Coach

Ratings:
    +2,266 / 10 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,659ß
    I actually thought about this guy. I don't follow college ball much, but thought this guy might be worth a risk.
  11. jackiejokeman

jackiejokeman Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +225 / 2 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    617ß
    Like J99 says , lets bring him in and kick the tires.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Position Coach

Ratings:
    +2,266 / 10 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,659ß
    :lol-027: Except that since I think he's a good bet, we should probably run away as fast as we can!
    • Like Like x 1
  13. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,761ß
    Guys who were as productive in college as he was, over 10,000 total career yards, are always worth a look. Here's his draft profile.

QB
    Jordan Lynch
    Northern Illinois Mid-American
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

View Prospects By Name By Position By College By Grade
    Combine Results
    Grade
    5.05?
    • 4.76 SEC
      Top Performer
    • 29.5 INCH
      Top Performer
    • 109.0 INCH
      Top Performer
    • 6.55 SEC
      Top Performer
    • 4.20 SEC
      Top Performer

Draft Analysis:
    • 6'0" Height
    • 29 3/4" Arm Length
    • 217LBS. Weight
    • 8 7/8" Hands
    Overview
    Third in Heisman voting in 2013. Two-time AP All-American (2012-13). 2013: Became fifth player in NCAA history with 20-plus rushing and passing TDs. Semifinalist for the Walter Camp and Davey O'Brien Award. Broke NCAA single-game QB rushing record at WMU (321). 2012: Second-team AP All-American (all-around player). Broke 4 NCAA, two MAC, and 14 school records in first year as starter. Led school to first BCS berth ever for a MAC school. Seventh in Heisman voting. Set NCAA FBS record for rushing yards and 100-yard games (12) by a QB. Accounted for 44 TDs. 2011: Served as backup behind Chandler Harnish. Played in 13 games as a change-of-pace QB. 2010: Served as backup behind Harnish. Played in 9 games, often for a series or two. 2009: Redshirted. High School: Played safety on USA Football’s 2009 gold medal-winning junior national team.

Analysis
    Strengths
    Highly competitive and passionate about the game. Tough, physical runner -- drops his shoulder and barrels through contact with determination. Very good straight-line speed. Exceptional production. Outstanding work habits. Carried the offense and willed the team to victory.

Weaknesses
    Is short and operates heavily in the gun in an offense that features rolling pockets that allow him to see the field more clearly. Many of his throws involve simplified, one-look reads to stationary targets. Tends to bird-dog his primary target. Is jittery and quick to tuck and run in the pocket. Accuracy is sporadic at each layer, short to deep. Must improve timing and anticipation.

Draft Projection
    Rounds 6-7

Bottom Line
    A tough, competitive, hardworking spread-option college quarterback, Lynch threatens opponents more with his legs than his arm and will require time to adapt to an NFL-style, progression-read offense if he is to remain under center in the pros. Could contend for a job as a No. 3 quarterback if he learns to refine his passing instincts. Developmental project who may bring the most value as a practice-squad, read-option quarterback. Toughness and competitiveness could translate to the fullback or box safety positions.

-Nolan Nawrocki
  14. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,761ß
    Jordan Lynch: 'I want to come in and win Rookie of the Year'
    • [​IMG]
    • By Chase Goodbread
    • College Football 24/7 writer
    • Published: April 4, 2014 at 05:32 p.m.
    [​IMG]
    by Chase Goodbread

Jordan Lynch intends on being the NFL's Rookie of the Year in 2014. He just doesn't have any idea what position he'll have to play to do it.

Lynch, a former quarterback at Northern Illinois, might need a position change to make an NFL roster. He worked out as a running back at the NFL Scouting Combine and even performed some defensive back drills at his pro day workout. For a borderline prospect like Lynch, these are the sort of concerns that can make time pass excruciatingly slowly on the third and final day of the draft. But of the 256 players who will be chosen from May 8-10, Lynch wants to finish on top of all of them when the book is closed on the 2014 season.
    Jadeveon Clowney, Sammy Watkins, and all the rest.

"I want to play in the NFL for 10 or so years," Lynch said, according to CSNChicago. "I want to come in and win Rookie of the Year."
    Lynch will reportedly work out for the Chicago Bears -- as a quarterback, according to suntimes.com -- on April 18. How many teams out there have the right position in mind, and the right opening on the roster, for Lynch to fill a role? Lynch might never know, because this could be a one-shot proposition. Wherever he's drafted, and for whatever position, it would be a pretty big surprise if Lynch is merely the best rookie on his own squad, much less the entire league.

Follow Chase Goodbread on Twitter @ChaseGoodbread.

If you watch his tape from the Combine you can see why this kid could be an excellent RB more so than QB.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap20...-i-want-to-come-in-and-win-rookie-of-the-year
  15. little bear

little bear Assistant Head Coach

Ratings:
    +985 / 1 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,128ß
    Seahawks' defense won the Super Bowl, not WIlson.
  16. tbear1

tbear1 Veteran

Ratings:
    +240 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    202ß
    For all the talk about the NFL being offensive minded, the Seahawks defense did win the game for them. We really need to get ours back on track.

It should be encouraging for the fans that the staff is looking to the future needs of the team. As long as Jay stays healthy, we have him for a couple more years. It would be nice to prepare our next QB for a year or two before he stepped in full time.

I like the story for Lynch. I didn't get to see him play, but it doesn't sound like he is a slam dunk. His height doesn't bother me as much as the reports that he can focus on certain receivers. I do like that he is mobile and can run. I would not expect he would be allowed to be so aggressive at the NFL level because teams can't afford to lose their QB.
  17. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,023 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,723ß
    If we did sign Lynch and he ended up playing like Wilson I'd be thrilled. Wilson may be a system QB in Seattle, but that's all we really need here with Trestman's offense. Just do your job. Don't give the ball to the opponent in fumbles and ints. In fact, I'd be thrilled if Jay Cutler was a bit more like Wilson too. Don't try to be Brett Favre. We don't need or want that kind of QB with Trestman's offense.
  18. dachuckster

dachuckster Veteran SuperFan

Ratings:
    +341 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    174ß
    Lynch strikes me as a real football player. Aggressive ... great motor ... smart. His problem is his physique and physical abilities makes him a misfit for most NFL positions. I don't think he would last long as a full time RB at the pro level. He's a little slow to be a safety or a WR.

I don't want to be critical of his desire to play or his willingness to work or his knowledge of the game. I just don't see where he fits in. He might be a productive QB at the pro level but it doesn't seem very likely that he will get to that level.
  19. Grizzblue

Grizzblue Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +487 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    99ß
    Wouldn't be a bad pick at all with our last pick if hes there. 6 foot is not too short to play the position. Brees, Wilson, Kaep, just off the top of my head have all done quite well. As far as his running style not converting to the pros. Again, see Wilson, Kaep, Newton. All of them learned to throw from the pocket as a first and second and third option, but can also escape the pocket and really hurt teams with their legs. I kinda forgot about this guy but I like the idea of him if Trestman thinks he can fix the accuracy inconsistency.
    • Like Like x 1
  20. dachuckster

dachuckster Veteran SuperFan

Ratings:
    +341 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    174ß
    I agree with your assessment that he is only suited to be a QB.

I wouldn't mind the Bears picking him up cheaply (hopefully as an UDFA).