Bears Put Jordan Lynch Through Private Workout.........

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by soulman, Apr 4, 2014.

1. Grizzblue

Grizzblue Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +483 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    92ß
    If thats the case then I'd jump all over it. I think some of these guys get labeled as "running qbs" and get written off by old school scouts and gms as well as fans. Fact is that having a threat to run is an incredible weapon to gash defenses that are asleep at the wheel as well as escape the pocket with regularity when it goes to hell. Now, all of these guys must learn to win from the pocket and go thru progressions. And that means an NFL progression. X-H-Y-Z type of four rote read. Nobody can deny the advantage of having a guy who has a last read (and absolute last not just after primary and co primary aren't there) to take off with the ball in opposed to taking a sack or throwing it away. It's icing on the cake if you have an effective guy from the pocket if he can really make a D pay with his legs. Its a new age of QBs. Alot of the college guys have running ability and are able to make the jump to the pros. Even guys like Luck are a threat to reel off 10 if you give him a lane. QBs always will have to have a good pocket ability, but gime a guy that is a TRUE dual threat.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. dachuckster

dachuckster Veteran SuperFan

Ratings:
    +341 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    174ß
    Grizz - if our coaches see something in him, I am in complete agreement. But he looks like a long term project.
  3. Grizzblue

Grizzblue Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +483 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    92ß
    He would be a guy to bring in as a UDFA as well as sign or draft a more immediate option.
  4. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,665 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,167ß
    I'm pretty excited that we finally have a coach who can develop talent at QB. It may or may not be Lynch. But when Emery finally signs a youngster, I can't wait to see Trestman work his magic with the guy. Trestman will know who has the gears to be solid. I trust him.
  5. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,760ß
    Why do you say that chuckster? His weight is the same as Forte's and he's only 2" shorter. His speed an agility numbers make him a fit at RB. He'll never be an All Pro but after watching his Combine video I really do think he has more to offer as a RB than a QB. His ball wobbles a bit on every throw, short or deep. He'll have a tough time playing outdoors in wind unless he can run and rollout.
  6. dachuckster

Ratings:
    +341 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    174ß
    Soul, my opinion is just based on a couple of times I saw him on TV. Nothing very scientific. I don't think he would be up to the pounding. And I really don't have a lot of hope for him at QB either. I think he has a lot of heart and guts. Probably a good teammate and great in the locker room.

If we were to take on a UDFA QB project, there are others I would prefer. I can nominate a couple if you are interested ;-)

Edit: Just checked Forte's combine numbers. Forte was MUCH FASTER than Lynch his 40 yd time was 4.4 vs 4.76 for Lynch.
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2014
  7. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,760ß
    I wasn't thinking of him as a QB. It's obvious by his yardage total in college that the kid can run with the football and what I saw on his Combine video confirmed it. He has some moves and he can cut well without slowing down. I don't see the same issue with his size or his ability to hold up as you do. He weighs the same as Forte and Ford and is two inches short than Forte and two inches taller than Ford. He's not exactly tiny and with some work with weights he may be able to carry more weight he wouldn't have needed at QB.

If he played for some Godforsaken Div. II Podunk school I'd say there was more to worry about but NIU doesn't exactly play a walk across schedule. They play with the big boys and his performance was good enough to get him Heisman votes. I don't think the kid will ever be more than a PS QB in the NFL. Not with his arm unless he can improve that. But as a RB he's got a chance to be somebody's #2 if he can block and with his athleticism I'm guessing he can block and catch.

I wouldn't draft him period if I could avoid it or at least not before one of our last picks but I'd sure be knocking on his door with a FA offer afterward. I don't see him as any kind of a sure thing at any position but if he fits somewhere it's more likely to be at RB unless he develop better pocket passing skills.
  8. dachuckster

Ratings:
    +341 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    174ß
    I think Lynch has a bit of Tebow in him. What I mean is he wants to play QB in the pros. He says he wants to be rookie of the year. When I hear that kind of talk, I start to worry about an inflated self image ... maybe an attitude about being a QB and nothing else.
  9. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,665 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,167ß
    The wobbly balls reminds me of Jim McMahon. The balls often didn't look pretty, but Jim was a smart QB who was still effective. Then you have lots of guys like Rex Grossman can throw the pretty spirals that look good, but may not be good QB's. I'm not saying Lynch is going to be a solid QB. But he could be. I wish I knew what Trestman honestly thinks about him. That's what matters.
  10. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,760ß
    I'm glad to hear that he has that much confidence in himself but if he insists on playing QB I think he'd better give up his ROY dreams and probably most of his chances of being drafted too. I would be surprised if anyone took him even in the middle rounds to be a QB. It's his legs that are his money maker not his arm.
  11. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,760ß
    I love Mac but he was not a great passer and with Walter and Suhey in the backfield thank God he didn't have to be. He did know how to win though and so does Lynch but the NFL was a running league then and now it's a passing league. I just don't think he has the arm for it but that's only an opinion based on the vids I watched. And you really can't compare him to Russell Wilson either because Wilson does have a gun.
  12. dachuckster

Ratings:
    +341 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    174ß
    All this discussion about a project QB motivated some research. Here is what I came up with. A Div II QB from West Texas A&M. Dustin Vaughn - 6'5" 235. Not the fastest guy (4.95 40). But really solid passing stats (338 completions/525 attempts/4148 yds/38 TD/6 int).

A couple of review sites ...

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=96664&draftyear=2014&genpos=QB

http://rotobahn.com/scouting-report-dustin-vaughan-qb-west-texas-a-m/

I watched a couple of youtube videos on this guy. Maybe I am drinking the Kool-Aid but he may have an incredible ceiling.
  13. jackiejokeman

jackiejokeman Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +215 / 2 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    513ß
    Imagine a slow kick off return guy ... so slow that covering teams run right past him.

He just mosey's into the end zone. It could happen.
  14. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,760ß
    LMAO!!!!! Do not take the brown acid man. The brown acid is bad man. So do not take the brown acid.
  15. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,760ß
    Dustin Vaughan; brother of Ricky "Wild Thing" Vaughan former MLB pitcher with the Cleveland Indians and San Quentin of the California Penal League. Doesn't have his older brothers arm but doesn't have his lengthy prison record either. Eyesight is 20/15 so he doesn't have to wear those God awful black rim specs Ricky did. Smart but not very mobile and has the unfortunate luck to have played for the same college that J'Marcus Webb did. Do we want to go back down THAT road again. LOL

Seriously though he might be able to push Jerrod Johnson out of his chair at #3 but he'd need a lot of work to climb any higher. His lack of mobility concerns me too. Guys like him who dominated as small schools are always interesting but this kid couldn't even seem to do it there. He may require and architect to do a makeover before the construction ever begins.

Dustin Vaughan
    QB West Texas A&M
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Grade
    4.85?
    • 4.95 SEC
      Top Performer
    • 29.0 INCH
      Top Performer
    • 108.0 INCH
      Top Performer
    • 7.25 SEC
      Top Performer
    • 4.43 SEC
      Top Performer
    • 6'5" Height
    • 33" Arm Length
    • 235LBS. Weight
    • 8 7/8" Hands
    Overview
    2013: Started all 14 games. Threw for single-season school records of 5,401 yards and 53 touchdown, breaking Keith Null's records from 2008. Led Division II in passing yards and touchdowns. 2012: Started all 15 games. School reached the NCAA Division II semifinal for first time in school history. Second in Division II with 4,712 passing yards and 45 TDs. 2011: Played in 11 games with 10 starts. 2010: Played in four games as the third-string QB. 2009: Redshirted. Misc: Is West Texas A&M's all-time leader in completions (1,040), attempts (1,624), passing yards (10.525) and touchdowns (123).

Analysis
    Strengths
    Outstanding size. Good short-to-intermediate accuracy when he has time to set his feet and step into throws. Very intelligent. Superb leadership qualities and intangibles. Highly respected, vocal team leader. Very competitive. Urgent, demanding, on-field presence. Outstanding production. Tough and durable.

Weaknesses
    Has small hands. Most balls are flat with little arc and not easily catchable. Plays in a spread-pistol offense operating exclusively out of the gun and featuring a lot of simple, one-look reads. Very average mobility to escape the rush and create plays in the pocket with his feet. Will force the ball under duress and needs to hone his decision-making. Is late to trigger and takes unnecessary sacks. Has not faced top competition and windows will tighten in the pros.

Bottom Line
    A developmental, dink-and-dunk pocket passer with intriguing intangibles and leadership qualities sought for a supportive backup or No. 3 role. Will require time to acclimate to the speed of the NFL game.

-Nolan Nawrocki
  16. lklrlolnlilklsox

lklrlolnlilklsox Position Coach

Ratings:
    +316 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    61ß
    His size bothers me less than his arm.
  17. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,760ß
    As a QB yeah, I can see where it would but he's not 5'10" and 185lbs so at 217lbs and 6' I don't know where anyone would call him small.

What I saw in his videos were throws that aren't tight spirals and wobble as they drop in. Those can be tough catches. He doesn't drill the ball in with speed. I think he's far more of a read option and rollout passer with happy feet than a pocket passer. But what I also saw was a kid with some very real natural running skills with vision and quick reactions. If he's gonna make it I still think it will be by carrying the ball not passing it.
  18. DaTreeBears

DaTreeBears Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +691 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    396ß
    http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/_/id/14881/russell-wilson

CMP ATTY DSCMP %AVG LNG TD INT QBR RAT

18 25 206 72.0 8.24 37 2 0 88.1 123.1

Yeah these stats are pretty pedestrian for a QB that won a SuperBowl it was all the defense. Or maybe the other team was playing good defense too. :3 8 14[1]:
  19. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,760ß
    Russell Wilson? Just another mediocre QB on a great defensive team. (insert winking smilie HERE_____ <) : LOL
  20. DaTreeBears

DaTreeBears Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +691 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    396ß
    Is that what they talk about when being a team player? Doing your job to the fullest without no realizing how good you really are while you win.