Bears ranked 2nd in offseason moves

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by The Newsman, May 21, 2014.

1. The Newsman

The Newsman Veteran SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +43 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,622ß
    ChicagoBears.com News:

NFL.com analyst Elliot Harrison has ranked the Bears as having the second best offseason in the league based on their moves in free agency and the draft.

Continue reading...
  2. 4dabers

4dabers Veteran DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +748 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    92ß
    I read this yesterday, and it makes me feel a bit of vindication for the beliefs that I, myself have about the Bears off-season moves. However, this vindication is somewhat tempered by the fact that the same guy thinks that Tampa Bay hiring Lovie Smith and giving him strong personnel powers (before they hired their GM, I might add) is a GOOD thing; and that speculating that the signing of Josh McCown (whom I really do like, but…) as their starting QB is a GOOD thing.

None the less, someone besides us homers think the Bears did very well in the off-season, so it's all good.:smile:
  3. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,761ß
    I'm always leery of ranking things like this because there are so many variables just one of which is cap space. It's kind of hard to be a player in that phase when you have no room to work with. It's all very subjective too but then we fans to love rankings don't we. Gives us at least something to point to when the team was 8-8 last year.

That said I believe that when all things are taken into consideration, including cap management, the Bears did have one of the best offseasons as far as getting players to fix the most obvious problems we had last year. I think I'm most pleased with the aggressiveness Phil Emery shows as far as attacking problems. There must be a plaque on his office wall that says "Go big or go home".

To have re-signed your franchise QB and WR and kept your core offensive and defensive free agents under contract plus adding the likes of Allen, Houston, Young and Izzy as UFAs was no small task. Kudos to Emery, Cliff Stein and George McCaskey for that. It took some clever contract structuring and an owners willingness to underwrite over $150 mil (including rookies) in guarantees to get it all done.

Now all we can do is sit back and find out if we got our money's worth.
  4. Moondog

Moondog Rookie

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    I'm leery too. There were years that people thought the Redskins were gonna be unstoppable because they had "great" offseasons of throwing cash around like crazy.

Or...who could forget that the Eagles were the "dream team" a few years back.

I love the moves that have been made. This team looks more talented and deeper than last year. I think that should be the goal of every GM. There could be some interesting battles in training camp this year.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Assistant Head Coach SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,073 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,814ß
    They had Tampa as the #1. It looks like expectations are unrealistically sky-high in Tampa this year with both the fans and the media. That might not be a good thing for Lovie.

6. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,761ß
    [​IMG] You're much taller these days I see.
  7. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,761ß
    The Eagles are a lot more dangerous now that Chip Kelly is running the show even though they've let a lot of those guys go. I feel Emery does a much better job of blending the personalities of his players. He's bringing in vets who honestly want to play for this team and not just collect the biggest paycheck from wherever they can get it. There's getting to be a nice blend of vet leadership with younger guys who need some of the help those vets can provide.

Much like Marshall and Jeffery that should shorten their development period. Ratliff and Allen need to so that with Sutton and Ferguson and DWill and Briggs with Bostic and this new kid Jones. Out of all the rookies I think he and Vereen may turn out to be two of the bigger bargains.