Bears re-sign TE Rosario

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by Bearstuff, Feb 27, 2014.

1. Bearstuff

Bearstuff Yes, in the woods. Staff Member SuperFan

Ratings:
    +1,130 / 3 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    477ß
    Bears re-sign TE Dante Rosario
    Posted by Mike Wilkening on February 27, 2014, 5:35 PM EST
    [​IMG]Getty Images
    The Bears have reached agreement on a one-year contract with tight end Dante Rosario, the club said on Thursday.

The 29-year-old Rosario played in 15 games for the Bears in 2013, making three starts and catching one pass for 13 yards. He also notched five special teams tackles.

Rosario (6-3, 242) has made 30 starts since entering the NFL in 2007, catching 100 passes for 1,119 yards and eight TDs. In addition to Chicago, he has appeared in regular season games for Carolina (2007-2010), Miami (2011), Denver (2011) and San Diego (2012).
  2. mdbearz

mdbearz Veteran

Ratings:
    +283 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    24ß
  3. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +735 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    698ß
    looks like were keeping the offense status quo. I was hoping we would draft a TE, maybe we will take a surprise WR early. ....... looking more and more like an all Defense draft, guess we need it but would still like to have an upgrade or two on offense. Wonder if they think they will lose McCown and want to save an offense pick for a QB. If Carr slips past Minnesota we may be able to trade down if somebody gets nervous, or screw Minnesota by taking him so they have to go with Ponder again. Guess thats one way of getting 2 wins. LOL. just kidding.
  4. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,354 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    745ß
    Maybe he'll catch another pass this year. He could end up with 26 yards for his Bears career if he does. It could happen.
    • Like Like x 3
  5. short faced bear

short faced bear Assistant Head Coach DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,195 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    88ß
    I can understand somewhat no drafting a center or even perhaps a wideout at the slot. But I'll be disappointed if they don't at least take a late round flyer on a TE. Doubtful if they'll get a FA TE.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. little bear

little bear Assistant Head Coach

Ratings:
    +808 / 1 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    697ß
    We definitely need a second TE and now they decide to give him a new contract? The guy that caught just one pass for 13 yards? Seriously?

C'mon man!!
  7. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +2,354 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    745ß
    We're just seeing the consequences being played out, from the Jerry Angelo years of mediocre talent acquisition. The team doesn't have the luxury of spending draft picks on these positions at the moment, due to the fact we're filling MAJOR holes that have to be filled immediately to even be competitive this year. Emery hit the ground running, by upgrading the offense (beginning with the Brandon Marshall acquisition). But the defense is still a shambles. Nobody was in place to step into the shoes of older players like Urlacher or Peppers - and the surrounding talent was often mediocre at best. Angelo also had more outright busts than what a good team should have (everybody has some busts, but we seemed to have more than our share).

So now, even though we would love to draft a stud TE, or bring in a high-quality QB youngster for Trestman to begin spinning up to eventually replace Jay Cutler - it's just not possible. Oh, we could get a lower-tier talent in the late rounds of the draft for one or more of these positions, but don't expect anyone of true talent to be picked up, when we still need the high-powered picks to go to plugging holes on defense now.

And until we DO fix our defense, I don't see us moving past Green Bay in the division. It's just full-blown "damage control" right now, as Emery tries to fix the Jerry Angelo mess. On a side note, I still wonder a bit about how Lovie Smith would have done if he had been given better players to work with. I can blame Lovie for the coaching mistakes, but it wasn't all on him, here in Chicago. I think having a poor GM is a cancer to a team. I dearly hope Emery can show he truly has the gears now, to draft quality defensive players, and that the Shea pick was an aberration.
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2014
    • Like Like x 2
  8. a_miljan

a_miljan Veteran

Ratings:
    +291 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    96ß
    i agree 100%, except i believe we can beat GB, maybe it is not realistic, but i think we can do it
  9. VJ18

VJ18 Veteran

Ratings:
    +79 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    16ß
    I think this coming year we will be the most balanced team in our division, its time for Jay to put his big boy pants on and curb stomp green bay
  10. omc1969

omc1969 Veteran

Ratings:
    +203 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    27ß
    We all know that Lovie knows absolutely nothing regarding the "O" side. He wouldn't know a decent TE if he was blocked by one. Having said that about the Lovie/Angelo disaster I'd like to add that I thought Rosario did a pretty decent job blocking and was brought in for just that purpose. I have no problem with Emery bringing him back and I see Emery picking up another TE either in FA or the draft to add depth in case Bennett gets hurt. I'd lean towards FA for that addition but I don't know if there are any decent pass catching TE's that would fall to the Bears in the draft.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +2,354 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    745ß
    I honestly don't worry about the offense doing its job against GB. My worry is that if we give up 35-40 points to Rodgers - we lose. If we are to move past GB in this division, it is critically important that we clean up the mess on defense. I'm confident in our offense now.
  12. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,835 / 6 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,515ß
    Rosario wasn't re-signed for his pass catching skills which actually aren't all that bad. He's a good blocker and can play that HBack/TE role that Rodriguez was drafted to play. He's also a good STeams guy and we may lose Costanzo. Remember they still have Onobun sitting on the PS hoping he'll finally learn the game of football. That kid has the potential to be as good as Bennett if he ever "gets it".

I just don't see TE as a huge need as far as drafting one goes unless somebody falls into the later rounds that just too good to pass on. There are a few vets in FA they may look at too if the price is right.
  13. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +2,354 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    745ß
    I think the Bears are counting on Onobun to be the guy who backs up Bennett this year. A number of basketball players have made the transition to the NFL TE position and flourished - the ones who successfully transitioned their basketball skills to football. I hope Onobun is one of these guys. So far the experiment has failed. The guy has hands of stone. But since the Bears have kept him, that tells us they think the guy will eventually "get it" and be a decent backup to Bennett. If not, then we do need a receiving TE. The receiving TE position is an important piece to having a solid offense. I guess that's a "no brainer" to say. But it's true.
  14. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,962 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    969ß
    Rosario is the blocking TE, there is still a need for a guy that can actually backup Bennett if he gets inj'd. Fendi is an option, but I have a hard time believing they'll go in assuming Fendi finally steps up.

There's still a chance for them to draft a TE if one falls that is worth drafting.
  15. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,835 / 6 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,515ß
    They kept him around and worked him on the PS last year and he's another one that maybe Marshall should take down to Florida to work out with the others. Onobun made some good plays in the preseason and made some awful ones as well. I don't think it's his hands though. You don't become a top college BB player by not being able to handle the ball. I think it's his focus and concentration. The guy looked great in camp but when the games started it looked to me like mentally he just wasn't prepared or comfortable. This will be it for him I think. If he can't win that #2 TE spot this year he's gone.
  16. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,962 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    969ß
    I think it's just in his head, right now he seems afraid of what might be coming, which leads to the lack of concentration you are talking about. And b/c of the new rules for practice and the lack of hitting I'm just not sure how he's going to overcome it.

I think there is potential there, but it's also possible he's a practice hero and won't amount to anything more and I hope the team isn't going in assuming he's the pass catching backup option w/out competition.