Bears Release Israel Idonije and Jerrod Johnson.

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by BelieveInMonsters, Jun 19, 2014.

1. BelieveInMonsters

BelieveInMonsters Veteran

Ratings:
    +273 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    96ß
    Per multiple sources on Twitter.

Sorry to see Izzy go.

QB Johnson is not surprising at all.

Discuss...
  2. lklrlolnlilklsox

lklrlolnlilklsox Position Coach

Ratings:
    +316 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    65ß
    Didn't think Izzy would stick with the kids we have behind the starters.
    • Like Like x 6
  3. The Benjamin

The Benjamin George Halas Staff Member

Ratings:
    +2,152 / 7 / -9
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,560ß
    • Like Like x 2
  4. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +920 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,083ß
  5. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,480 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    508ß
    No surprise on izzy, no loss on JJ.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,599 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,795ß
    • Like Like x 2
  7. short faced bear

short faced bear Assistant Head Coach DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,277 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    223ß
    I didn't know if Izzy would stick or not but I do like Phil keeping the bases covered while he stockpiled the DL. If heaven forbid we had another injury bug like last year (and at that point I would consider getting torches and pitchforks for the S & C coach) he could have been at least pinch hitter.
  8. The Benjamin

The Benjamin George Halas Staff Member

Ratings:
    +2,152 / 7 / -9
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,560ß
    yeah, but there were some who talked about him being a starter.... and spoke of him almost as though he were the second coming
  9. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,599 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,795ß
    well if nothing else they acted like Izzy was the guy from the year or 2 before he was a Bear, and not the guy that couldn't find the field last year.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. butkus3595

butkus3595 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +922 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    769ß
    Yeah, not a surprise for me on Izzy, especially given what we did in the draft.
  11. BossK

BossK Veteran SuperFan

Ratings:
    +48 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    41ß
    Too bad about Izzy, but that's business. Kinda like when the Bears brought back hitman Harris. And he stunk up the joint. Really liked the guy, appreciated his efforts, but not enough left in the tank. Good luck to them both in their future endeavors.
  12. strockrocks

strockrocks Veteran

Ratings:
    +218 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    32ß
    You do realize Harris is a coach for the Bears now, right?
  13. BossK

BossK Veteran SuperFan

Ratings:
    +48 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    41ß

yup.

His second stint at safety, the one that ended mid-year, that was what I was talking about w/ him stinkin' up the joint.

Glad he is here as a coach, and, as mentioned in the thread about Brock Vereen, it appears that his input got Vereen picked, and looking like it was a pretty good one.
  14. weneedmorelinemen

weneedmorelinemen Veteran

Ratings:
    +409 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    141ß
    What we did in the draft and in free agency too. Signing three DE and drafting 2 DTs is quite a bit of turnover. I guess they picked him up in case things did not work out like they did on the defensive line.
  15. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,761ß
    Yep, I'd have to agree and maybe this is a good sign that Washington is beginning to catch on. They were high enough on him last year to protect him by keeping him on the 53 man roster so it's obvious they saw some real upside in the kid. He and Bass are guys who should be able to take a big step up this summer and earn roster spots again. Plus Emery brought in Austen and Scott who have an edge on Izzy as far as their age goes.

I guess it's also a good sign that they're pleased with the bunch they have at DT and that Houston can fill that LDE/DT role when needed. I said a while ago that Emery added so much front line talent and depth to that DL that we'd probably end up needing to let guys go who can still play and I think in Izzy's case that's more than likely what's happened. I wonder if he'll look to play elsewhere again or whether he'll decide to retire here and now as a Bear?

Johnson was a goner the minute the had him doing some STeams work. QBs don't play STeams. Not even backups. So in the battle between him and Fales for that PS slot Fales wins.
  16. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,761ß

There was always a chance Benji but things have probably changed a lot since this spring and apparently for the better as far as that defense is concerned. I'd take this to mean that both Bass and Washington have stepped up their game and that Tucker and Pasqualoni feel Houston can handle both LDE and move in to DT if needed. There's also the possibility that one of the other vet DEs they signed before Izzy, Austen or Scott, was simply outplaying him.

It's a new defense and even Izzy admitted that his experience playing in the old system didn't provide any real advantage this year. I'm sorry to see him go because he was a true Bear in every sense of the word and I was pulling for him to have one more year here and then maybe retire as a Bear which he may do now anyway. All good things must come to an end in IMHO Izzy's career as a Chicago Bear was a good thing for all.

We knew that a lot of torches were gonna be passed once Emery took over and Lovie left and Izzy is just one of them. I'll always be a huge fan of his and wish him well no matter what he decides to do.
  17. DavidL

DavidL Pro-Bowler SuperFan

Ratings:
    +750 / 6 / -24
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,193ß
    So, with Izzy gone, that increases the odds for CornWash making the roster. Will he make it? I have to admit I am giving some thought already about my replacement for my adopted bear. With all the new guys we have on the DL now, he's going to have to impress in training camp and pre-season. I still think he has the potential to do that, but it's now or never for CornWash with the Bears. If he gets cut, he'll be on the phone with the Falcons the next day. I'm sure that's his dream team to play for.
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2014
  18. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,040 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,749ß
    I'm hoping C.Wash makes the roster and proves to be a solid player for us.
  19. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,761ß
    I'd like to see that too. The kid has all kinds of physical potential if he can just meld the mental part into it. I'm also glad to see we're leaving the "Corn" part of his nickname in the fields of Iowa where it really belongs. LOL

:drinking61:
    • Like Like x 1
  20. DavidL

DavidL Pro-Bowler SuperFan

Ratings:
    +750 / 6 / -24
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,193ß
    No, no. CornWash works just fine. It is the name he chose himself for his Twitter handle. After I "adopted" him, I am a "follower" (as they call it) on Twitter, so I see all his "tweets." He doesn't tweet much about football except with his college pals from the UG football program.