Bears release Lynch, four others

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by The Newsman, Aug 29, 2014.

1. The Newsman

The Newsman Veteran SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +41 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    950ß
    ChicagoBears.com News:

The Bears on Friday waived rookie running back Jordan Lynch and cut four veterans: receiver Armanti Edwards, tight end Jeron Mastrud, tackle Dennis Roland and center/guard Robert Turner.

Continue reading...
  2. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,835 / 6 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,500ß
    Bears release Lynch, four others

Posted 35 minutes ago
    By Larry Mayer

In their first wave of final cuts, the Bears on Friday waived rookie running back Jordan Lynch and terminated the contracts of four veterans: receiver Armanti Edwards, tight end Jeron Mastrud, tackle Dennis Roland and center/guard Robert Turner.

A Heisman Trophy finalist as a quarterback last year at Northern Illinois, Lynch was named MAC offensive player of the year after passing for 2,892 yards and 24 touchdowns and rushing for 1,920 yards and 23 TDs.

Lynch was switched to running back upon signing with the Bears as an undrafted free agent. In the preseason, he rushed for 42 yards on 13 carries, including 18 yards on six attempts in Thursday night’s loss to the Browns in Cleveland.

With their roster down to 70, the Bears must cut 17 more players to reach the NFL’s mandatory 53-man limit by 3 p.m. Saturday.
  3. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,835 / 6 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,500ß
    No real surprises here so far although I thought Roland might make it. Looks like Mills and Britton are about ready to play again and Ola has a little more versatility at OT and OG and he's younger. I'll have to trust Kromer on these OL decisions. He seems to know his guys and their capabilities pretty well.

When Lynch didn't play much last night I could easily see this coming. What's beginning to piss me off with Trestman is when he makes a big deal out of a guys progress and then nothing. Based strictly on ypc Lynch was no worse than anyone else and while I never saw him leap frogging Draughn or Carey I am surprised he didn't get more carries last night. Perry just doesn't impress me all that much.

Well I think it's safe to say that neither will make the 53 man roster but I would not ignore the opportunity to keep Lynch on the PS over Perry or keep both. I still think Lynch can play NFL ball. Here's a guy who played QB in college and came in as a RB and held his own against guys who spent 3 or 4 years as college RBs. I think they should keep him around on the PS and see where he is a year from now.
    • Like Like x 2
  4. billatter

billatter Veteran

Ratings:
    +201 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    74ß
    Why did Lynch have to make the switch to RB?
  5. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,341 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    734ß
    He's not really an NFL quality prospect at QB. He was fine in the Northern Illinois system but that doesn't translate to the NFL. But he has some excellent athletic skills outside of QB. The guy was a gifted runner at QB.
  6. The Benjamin

The Benjamin George Halas Staff Member

Ratings:
    +1,845 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    815ß
    He was not a NFL quality QB
  7. billatter

billatter Veteran

Ratings:
    +201 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    74ß
    I get that, but what was the issue? Arm strength/accuracy? A system QB that could only play in that system? Too short? Not trained in an NFL style offence?
  8. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Position Coach

Ratings:
    +1,532 / 5 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    705ß
    I'd have to agree with this. I did not think he was really that worse than anyone else. Plus he has the Trestman God of versatility that he preaches. As a matter of fact I remember how excited Trestman was about the different ways he could creatively use him in his system because of all the things he could do.
    I don't get it, but I'm not going to stay up tonight over it either.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,835 / 6 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,500ß

The funny thing is that when you look at QBs who make a lot of plays with their feet playing in read option offenses he actually does fit in that way. We just don't play that style offense so they asked him to move to RB.

Personally I don't think he ever got a fair shake as far as playing goes. He had some decent carries in that first game and then nothing until mop up time last night. Yet Trestman said he'd be used a lot. Boy it sure doesn't take long for even a new HC to get into the old NFL habit of lies and half truths.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,835 / 6 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,500ß
    Probably these two issues as much as anything Bill. He played in a read option type offense at NIU and had he been signed by a team who uses that type of offense even as a secondary scheme as Cleveland did with Manziel last night he might have been a better fit as a QB.

He has the skills to play in that style offense but not the arm of guys like Wilson, Kaepernick, or even Manziel. If they keep him on the PS for a year I'd like to see where he's at a year from now after having spent more time adjusting to the RB spot. Despite his inexperience there he still seemed to do well in camp and these games when they actually handed him the ball.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,341 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    734ß
    A year from now he could be a really decent RB. A year of an NFL weight room too. He'd be ideal to stash away on a PS. I think the Bears could get a nice return on that 1 year investment.
  12. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,835 / 6 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,500ß

Well it was kind of a crazy summer for him. He came into camp at 22o lbs and then got himself down to 206lbs to pick up some speed for coverage teams. Based on what he had to do in order to stick I guess that makes sense. Still, I think I'd rather see him up around 230lbs and playing as a utility back like the Packers use Kuhn. He's half FB and half RB.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. B-ell-y-iot

B-ell-y-iot Veteran SuperFan

Ratings:
    +284 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    246ß
    I'm trying to think of a college quarterback converted to a RB / WR / TE that's had long term success in the NFL and the closest I'm getting is Randle El or possibly Julian Edelmen. I think the only running back / QB conversion that's remotely panned out has been Michael Robinson. I'm sure some of the historians on the site could add some names from the 70s that I'm unaware of.
    Be that as it may, the past doesn't always dictate the future, but Lynch's road, assuming he wants to be an NFL player, will be a lot longer than from NIU to Halas Hall. The league's roster cuts are full of talented college players that had great stats, great leadership, and great measurable, but who weren't able to transition to the pro game (in a new position or in a familiar one).
    Lynch looks like he's committed to it. He showed a hell of a lot of heart in the off-season work he did. Teams have tape on him and if he's demonstrated enough during minicamp, training camp, and preseason either Emery or one of the other 31 general managers will give him some time on the practice field to see how far he can take that heart and workethic.
    Good luck young man.
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
    • Bear Down! Bear Down! x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,835 / 6 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,500ß
    Lynch's greatest immediate asset is his attitude. The guy may never amount to much as a RB in the NFL but if he's willing to play STeams he could be around for a very long time and still see some work at RB. I just don't think his greatest success will be on offense.
    • Like Like x 1
  15. little bear

little bear Assistant Head Coach

Ratings:
    +801 / 1 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    675ß
    And Fales is? lol
  16. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,835 / 6 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,500ß
    Fales looks like exactly what he was. A 6th round draft pick. He has a decent grasp of the offense and the position but his arm strength is very marginal for an NFL player. It's not the distance but rather the velocity of his throws that are a problem. There are a lot of throws he won't be able to make that Cutler can. I'm just glad we have Clausen for now. Fales is a long way from being ready to play in the big time and yet he's better than many we've seen come through here over the past 20 years.