Bears Restructure Cutler's Deal

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by The Benjamin, Mar 24, 2014.

1. dabears70

dabears70 Veteran

Ratings:
    +64 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    75ß
    I'm sorry but did you say that you think we're full of DE's?? Unless you're talking about backups or the one's that we have for competition then you're right cause we have camp bodies but as for starting DE's i think we're still short one just because i'm not sure if Young is an every down DE but i sure do hope he is and we need one that can step in and be a starter if an injury happens.
  2. dabears70

dabears70 Veteran

Ratings:
    +64 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    75ß
    Hahaha for a minute there i thought i should check a box.
  3. dabears70

dabears70 Veteran

Ratings:
    +64 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    75ß
    It would be nice to get him signed with Jefferey getting ready to get a big contract and we could free up some more money for this year also.
  4. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,474 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    504ß
    Based on what we know now--nothing else having happened yet--this move makes zero sense to me. The conversion option can be exercised at ANY time under the teams discretion. It doesn't require pre-approval from Jay (he could care less as it doesn't change his income in any way, only the way its accounted for cap-wise). There was already ample cap room for signing the draft class and a reserve "emergency" pool. Why push cap costs into the future and open more space NOW if its not needed or about to be used???
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. little bear

little bear Assistant Head Coach

Ratings:
    +985 / 1 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,128ß
    Exactly, that's why I'd love to add DE/DT Alex Carrington to the roster. Unfortunately he's started talking to the Browns, don't know if he's still gonna be avaible in a couple of days.
  6. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,024 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,723ß
    I agree, especially about the draft class money already being there. There must be a reason though.
  7. The Benjamin

The Benjamin George Halas Staff Member

Ratings:
    +2,149 / 7 / -9
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,544ß
    They would not make this move just to make it. There is likely a good reason for doing so.
  8. Bearstuff

Bearstuff Yes, in the woods. Staff Member SuperFan

Ratings:
    +1,227 / 3 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    602ß
    Someone mentioned a possible Marshall extension, but in my mind that would have a similar effect to Jay's restructuring (spreading a large hit this year out over more time).

Someone is about to be signed. I'd be thrilled if it were Jared Allen, but I'm not holding my breath.
  9. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,761ß
    Actually we are pretty well off at DE when you look at all of the possible players. Houston and Young were signed as the starters and the only two guys paid like starters. Despite his size Young plays the run extremely well. He and Houston were both top 5 among DEs last year. But the Bears rotate that position too so we'd ordinarily keep four on the roster.

So competing for two backup slots are; Izzy, Scott, Lane (all vets with at least some experience as starters), Bass, Washington, Ozougwu, and McClellin as well if the shift him to DE at times to rush. I wouldn't put it past Emery to draft another in the middle or later rounds either. Because Izzy can play inside at DT as well maybe we keep five and store one on the PS.

As far as the DLine goes the need at DT far outstrips the need at DE and that's one position I'm sure they'll focus on early in the draft. That and a couple of DBs or a LB.
  10. little bear

Ratings:
    +985 / 1 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,128ß
    Scott, Lane, Washington and Ozougwu shouldn't be there after TC anyway.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,474 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    504ß
    Precisely my point. Why then make this move now until you have another move signed on the dotted line. You can't take it back so it makes no sense to make it in advance.
  12. VJ18

VJ18 Veteran

Ratings:
    +83 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    28ß
    I wish we had the cap to sign Wilfork seeing how hes a free agent :(

I wanted him over tommie harris back in the 04-05 draft
  13. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,761ß
    Three of the four I'd say yes lb but they kept Washington protected all of last year so they still have hopes for him although I agree he needs to progress to the point where he's an effective situational rusher at the very least. Bass > than Ozougwu so Izzy has to beat out Scott and Lane. Lane shouldn't be a problem but Scott has had some pretty good experience and might also be able to do the DE/DT thing.

I still think Emery will take another DE in the draft in the later rounds if he finds a guy he likes. Having a utility guy like Izzy has become has worked real well for them when they had that type of guy and not so well when they didn't. One guy fills two roles and can help keep the starters fresh at both LDE and DT. Even if Izzy still has some play left in him he's go to be replaced eventually.
  14. The Benjamin

The Benjamin George Halas Staff Member

Ratings:
    +2,149 / 7 / -9
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,544ß
    They likely have something close that is flying under the radar. Something is coming that we have not yet heard. Otherwise this makes no sense.

Maybe a deal to get more draft picks, a higher draft pick or are in final negotiations with a player..... Something is bound to come out of this.
    • Like Like x 1
  15. a_miljan

a_miljan Veteran

Ratings:
    +328 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    156ß
    at this point we dont need any more bodies, also im glad that I guy signed with Detroit, we need upgrades , extra quality, or we dont need anybdy... i hope this extra cap space makes 1 more splash
  16. short faced bear

short faced bear Assistant Head Coach DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,275 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    222ß
    I agree w/Benji, there's something in the works and Cliff Stein wouldn't let this slide.
  17. little bear

Ratings:
    +985 / 1 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,128ß
    Maybe a Webb & Carimi welcome back deal? :funnyshit:
  18. 4dabers

4dabers Veteran DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +747 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    90ß
    OK, this post needs deleted ASAP!
    DON'T GIVE THEM ANY IDEA'S!!!
    You know damn well Phil comes here every day to read the pulse of Bear fans; things like this are typed and before you know it, the damn thing spreads like the plague!! Damn you little bear, damn you!!!
    • Like Like x 1
  19. Grizzblue

Grizzblue Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +487 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    99ß
    As much as I would love to believe that this means Allen will be wearing the navy and orange, I think more realistically it means Bmarsh and or AJ are getting an extension in the next few days. Phil is defiantly up to something however because kicking the cap down the road wouldn't make sense otherwise.
    • Like Like x 1
  20. ZifanQ

ZifanQ Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +164 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    68ß
    Found this really good post from an user over at reddit.com/chibears and thought I would share it with you guys. Credit goes to buddybar