Bears Restructure Cutler's Deal

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by The Benjamin, Mar 24, 2014.

1. The Benjamin

The Benjamin George Halas Staff Member

Ratings:
    +1,721 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    536ß
    I thought Allen already signed somewhere
  2. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +628 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    514ß
    Just a thought, the PBP Performance Base Pay, that Jordan Mills recieved additional income from, is this cap money we need or where does this come from. The article has several Bear Players on the list. With Mills thats $1mm dollars or so. The article eludes to a NFL pot so thinking this is not additional cash required.
    T
    http://www.csnchicago.com/bears/late-round-gem-bears-jordan-mills-tops-nfls-pbp-pay-list

Here's a look at the Top 5 highest/lowest Bears' earnings in PBP from the NFL Management Council:

Top 5 (after Mills)

Chris Conte -- $210,957

Isaiah Frey -- $179,411

Zack Bowman -- $162,273

Jon Bostic -- $143,309

Matt Slauson -- $134,485
  3. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,735 / 3 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,292ß
    That's correct. The money comes from an NFL pool and it's paid by the league. It isn't included in the teams cap.

Under the plan, the pool for each NFL team is $3.46 million and all funds are deferred until April 1, 2016. Generally speaking, players with high playing time percentages coupled with low salaries earn the most money in the performance-based pay program.
  4. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,735 / 3 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,292ß
    He's negotiating with Seattle last I heard but nothing has been announced as far as I know Benji.
  5. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,735 / 3 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,292ß
    I do too. If they plan on extending Marshall I would think they'd be doing that to gain cap space not lose it and Jeffery isn't due for an extension for another year but maybe Emery feels it would be cheaper now that to wait. That would be really out of character for him though. So I'm with you two. Emery wants a higher balance on his debit card so he can shop for another player or two.

The $4 mil saved by Cutler's restructure should about take care of what they'll need to sign their top draft picks so that means he has about $6-$7 mil to spare right now. That's enough for a top shelf guy if one existed that we could use. The problem is that other than Allen I don't know who else could give us a return on that kind of money and anyway Allen is looking for far more than that.

So whose left he might realistically have his eye on. Any good guesses. He said they'd keep looking to upgrade any and all positions right up to the draft so he must have something or someone in mind.
  6. Ojibway Bob

Ojibway Bob Veteran SuperFan

Ratings:
    +95 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    61ß
    DeCloud maybe? unless it is a vet QB...I did read somewhere that he wants to sign 1
  7. butkus3595

butkus3595 Veteran

Ratings:
    +472 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    143ß
    Well I guess we now know why this move was made!
  8. BearJim

BearJim Veteran SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +146 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    15ß
    :13_4_6[1]:

We knew something was up. Party time.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. The Benjamin

The Benjamin George Halas Staff Member

Ratings:
    +1,721 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    536ß
    Yup yup

Gald I was wrong about him already being signed
    • Like Like x 1
  10. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,735 / 3 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,292ß
    When after he'd been to Seattle twice and he still didn't have an offer from them there was at least an inkling in my mind that he might take a swing at Allen with a number he could live with. Looks like Allen's demands have slowly come down from $12 per year, to $10 mil, to $8 mil per year. I guess that was the magic number since it's about the same as Pep averages over 3 years.

As much as I hated to see Pep go if we had to spend $8 mil a year on a pass rusher I'd say the money is a little bit better spent on Allen. He's younger and maybe a little bit better edge rusher. He doesn't play the run as well but with Houston, Young and Izzy that's less of a concern because they all do.
    • Like Like x 1