Bears rookie guard Long stands out

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by short faced bear, Jul 29, 2013.

1. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Hall of Famer

Ratings:
    +1,309 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    394ß
    While they are alike in terms of good measurables, I think there are significant differences. I think Long really has dedicated himself to being good. I never really saw the same work ethic in Webb. It seems like Webb just doesn't put forth as much effort. Also, I don't think that Webb had the benefit of good coaching either. That may also have affected his more lackadaisical attitude.
  2. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,699 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    641ß
    True, but according to Long he didn't have good coaching in college either.....oh wait you must've meant Tice my bad.
  3. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,086 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    111ß
    Which is why, if Long develops well and Webb disappoints at RT this season, I could easily see Webb been shown the door and Long playing RT in 2014.
  4. Bearsinhouston

Ratings:
    +1,309 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    394ß
    Not sure we can do that because we don't really have any quality depth.
  5. BearJim

BearJim Veteran SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +146 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    15ß
    I agree with you & MD. I'll admit I was shocked when we drafted the kid. As I researched it further my biggest worry was his past work ethic. Put since he was drafted he has not only said the right things but carried that thru on the field. Staying late after practice to catch up from missing OTAs. Working with Tony Wise. Going to Jay Glazer's camp. I don't know if his dad lit a fire under him but he just seems to want to be a great player like his dad. I'll be surprised if he's not a pro bowler sooner than later.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,086 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    111ß
    Looking way ahead here (and there will be new players drafted/signed next year), but do you really think Emery is going to keep Webb if he doesn't prove himself this season in a contract year?
  7. Mr. Deliverance

Mr. Deliverance Guest

Ratings:
    +109 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    We'll see about Long. Got to do in games that actually count.
  8. Bearsinhouston

Ratings:
    +1,309 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    394ß
    I honestly think it's possible. It depends on how he does. If he stays at his current level (and I see no reason he would regress), he is definitely useable but nowhere near a top player. Given that we don't have much depth, then it all comes down to how the line played with him in it, what Emery's other priorities are and how cheap he can keep Webb for.
    It may end up that he keeps him, but he becomes a backup. Hard to tell. Plus, I'm having a hard time trying to project what Emery will do. To me, it made no sense getting rid of Carimi for a 6th round pick prior to seeing what he was capable of after his recovery (or possibly non-recovery). I would not have done that, so I have a hard time projecting what I even think he will do. Hell, Webb could play lights out and Emery could say they don't have enough money for him with other priorities and let him go. I have no clue, but I do think keeping Webb without much improvement is still a possibility if the situation is there.
  9. Grizzblue

Grizzblue Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +444 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    48ß
    MP, I don't see why we would move Long if he was doing well at RG.

Scenario: Long starts all games at RG and looks solid. We can see good progression throughout the year and the future looks bright for him. Meanwhile Webb struggles for some reason and its apparent that he can't be our RT of the future.

I think in this case (not saying I think it will happen, just for arguments sake) we are simply just looking for a new RT. Would make no sense to move Long to tackle if he was doing well at guard and looked like we may have a long term solution there. Why move a guy and risk stunting his growth, making him restart from ground zero at a new position. Combine this with the history of Trestman and Kromer seemingly viewing guards just as important if not more than their tackles and its more likely that we would be looking for a new RT that isnt named Kyle Long.

Only way I see Long moving is if he struggles at guard, or Brown comes out and plays lights out this year, AND Long shows just as much potential at tackle.
  10. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,086 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    111ß
    Agreed. I could see Webb possibly sticking for cheap only if he remains just so-so (he'd be a really ideal swing T with experience on both sides). But this is a make-or-break contract year for him as a future starter. If he can't prove himself this season (mental mistakes especially) once and for all, he probably won't be offered a new contract. Someone will take his job at RT next year--could be Long, Mills, or someone new.

As for Carimi, my best guess is that the Bears made a judgment on him medically that wasn't positive. As in, as Windy said, his knee will never allow him to play T as a high level again. And he doesn't want to play G. So, lets get what we can for him now before it becomes obvious in TC that he's damaged goods. No other team is gonna give up even a beer vendor for a player clearly struggling in TC with a medical issue. It's a bummer situation all around. I had high hopes for him being a dominant RT for us but we rolled the dice on his knee and lost...only 2 games into his NFL career. Live and learn.
  11. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,699 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    641ß
    So a few updates from this morning, Brown started at RG again. Nothing else said.
    Long got blown up by Wooton who lined up inside.
    Webb got blown up by Shea w/a spin move.
    Bushrod still out. Scott out. Brandon and Britton taking turns at LT
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,428 / 8 / -10
    ßearz ßuckz:
    351ß
    Fan of the Long pick from the get-go, but because I'm willing to be patient, and either let him struggle through his rookie season or if they don't start him until the inevitable injury, let him have some time studying the game, fully committing himself.

If they intended him to be a tackle, why is it that everyone (from Halas Hall to this board) are saying there is a greater emphasis being placed on the interior? Not only that, but why draft ANOTHER tackle, and sign one to a lucrative deal? Even if Webb's gone next year, Bears fans will view it as a failure of a 1st or 3rd pick, if both rookies aren't 2nd year starters. My intuition is that he is and likely will be, a guard.

McClellan shouldn't surprise anyone (they just started practicing, so beyond "ooh"s and "aahs", putting too much into what's happening now is jumping the gun a bit), seeing as he's added bulk without losing speed, and has experience on his resume.
  13. JJ-30

JJ-30 Veteran

Ratings:
    +127 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    18ß
    He got beat pretty bad today, but its still early in TC
  14. short faced bear

short faced bear Assistant Head Coach DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,175 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    52ß

Henry, Kromer has stated that his philosophy relies on good guard play to ensure a clean pocket. I'd venture the plan would be that J.Brown pans out at RG and Long moves to LG in a season or two. Not sure of the very long term plan, either Long will be Bushrod's successor or they will draft another LT. If Long is the successor we will probably see him at RT sooner or later.

As far as Webb. He's apparently not doing well at RT and wasn't even on the radar when Bushrod tweaked his calf to step back in at LT. That is starting to speak volumes and make the Webb nation very nervous.
  15. BearJim

BearJim Veteran SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +146 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    15ß
    I'm not a big Webb fan. When he last played RT he stunk so I'm not surprised he struggling. I'll love to see him become a solid RT but I don't see it happening.
  16. Mr. Deliverance

Mr. Deliverance Guest

Ratings:
    +109 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    He was far less experienced when he last played RT. I'm not going to be surprised if Webb overachieves at RT going into FA. He's actually developed into starting caliber O-line talent.
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Grizzblue

Grizzblue Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +444 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    48ß
    I'm defiantly going to refrain from casting judgment on anyone this early. Next weekend will give us a gauge but I'm not worries\encouraged until the 3rd PS game regarding anyone. By then we will at least have a bit of a slim clue on how's guys are looking and what camp did for them.
  18. JPosh2012

JPosh2012 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +86 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    I took am starting to feel the same way about this pick. I will admit I was one of the biggest critics of this pick but I do think in the long run he will be an excellent O-Lineman.

It is no surprise that he is struggling at times but then again that is something most if not all rookies encounter during their first training camp in the NFL.

I think this one could go either way but we need to remember that Kromer does value G's pretty highly IIRC.

Agreed.
  19. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,725 / 3 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,256ß
    Er.....yeah, LOL.

I can understand now what they saw in the kid and even if it was a bit high to take him it was a good move for the future. He's got the physical tools to play anywhere on that line including LT and I don't that was overlooked by many teams even if it wasn't being said. He's a beast no doubt about that.

If we're healthy across the board he may not start the season at OG but he could be a hell of backup at both RG and RT which allows us to use Scott or Britten as a spare OT and we still have depth at OG. You know they're only gonna activate 7 lineman on game day so the guys who can cover more spots should get the roster spots and be the ones in uniform.

Overall Long isn't much different than McClellin in that he'll be able to contribute immediately but it's gonna take him a full season and offseason to really learn the game. These are both good players to build around for the future.
  20. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,428 / 8 / -10
    ßearz ßuckz:
    351ß
    I understand that part of the scheme. However, I would argue that Emery's been adding so much talent on the line to ensure we'll have a "Plan B" in case any of the starters miss significant time, or if any of them just really suck. With the current attitude from Halas Hall being that no one is getting resigned this season (effectively meaning every single free agent must prove his worth here), I wouldn't place as big of an emphasis on Webb being on any figurative thin ice, and especially not because of Long, at least based on play. Again, ALL players are being put on notice, and due to the fact that he are thinner quality wise at guard than tackle.

Seeing how Rachal was apparently in Lovie's dog house from the get-go, and they turned to Brown once Rachal split, it's hard to say with a straight face that Brown provides the interior better quality than, say, Jonathon Scott, who played in more games last season (who had to wait until Carimi proved himself a bust) and has been in the league a hell of a lot longer. Not only that, but Emery DID address the tackle position early in the draft, ensuring that, if Webb or Bushrod succumb to injury or bad play, they've got a high ranked prospect to jump in.

Basically, what I'm getting at with that part of the argument is that, if everything works out well, Long will be staying at guard for the foreseable future. If he proves to be this wunderkind and picks the game up early, it still makes no sense to take your best interior lineman to the outer side of the o-line, especially seeing how Garza was one of the lowest ranked centers last year, and will undoubtedly need all the help he can get playing against guys like Suh, Fairley, whoever the hell the vikings still have, and Raji (who is overrated). Not only that, but the most likely thing to happen next year is we're drafting a center high (Emery prefers the draft as the best way to build, and he's gonna have to sacrifice some veterans due to the cap situation), so why would you suddenly let a rookie get his feet wet without Long playing side by side?

I'm not outright saying Long will NEVER be a tackle, but there are no clear indications he will be.