Bears rookie guard Long stands out

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by short faced bear, Jul 29, 2013.

1. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston
    Expand Collapse
    Assistant Head Coach
    DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    4,933ß
    Please Register or Log in to Remove this Advertisement!
    While they are alike in terms of good measurables, I think there are significant differences. I think Long really has dedicated himself to being good. I never really saw the same work ethic in Webb. It seems like Webb just doesn't put forth as much effort. Also, I don't think that Webb had the benefit of good coaching either. That may also have affected his more lackadaisical attitude.

2. riczaj01

riczaj01
    Expand Collapse
    DaBears Ditka
    SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    4,121ß
    True, but according to Long he didn't have good coaching in college either.....oh wait you must've meant Tice my bad.

3. MPbears68

MPbears68
    Expand Collapse
    Hall of Famer

ßearz ßuckz:
    1,336ß
    Which is why, if Long develops well and Webb disappoints at RT this season, I could easily see Webb been shown the door and Long playing RT in 2014.

4. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston
    Expand Collapse
    Assistant Head Coach
    DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    4,933ß
    Not sure we can do that because we don't really have any quality depth.

5. BearJim

BearJim
    Expand Collapse
    Veteran
    SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    115ß
    I agree with you & MD. I'll admit I was shocked when we drafted the kid. As I researched it further my biggest worry was his past work ethic. Put since he was drafted he has not only said the right things but carried that thru on the field. Staying late after practice to catch up from missing OTAs. Working with Tony Wise. Going to Jay Glazer's camp. I don't know if his dad lit a fire under him but he just seems to want to be a great player like his dad. I'll be surprised if he's not a pro bowler sooner than later.

• Like Like x 1
  6. MPbears68

MPbears68
    Expand Collapse
    Hall of Famer

ßearz ßuckz:
    1,336ß
    Looking way ahead here (and there will be new players drafted/signed next year), but do you really think Emery is going to keep Webb if he doesn't prove himself this season in a contract year?

7. Mr. Deliverance

Mr. Deliverance
    Expand Collapse

ßearz ßuckz:
    We'll see about Long. Got to do in games that actually count.

8. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston
    Expand Collapse
    Assistant Head Coach
    DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    4,933ß
    I honestly think it's possible. It depends on how he does. If he stays at his current level (and I see no reason he would regress), he is definitely useable but nowhere near a top player. Given that we don't have much depth, then it all comes down to how the line played with him in it, what Emery's other priorities are and how cheap he can keep Webb for.
    It may end up that he keeps him, but he becomes a backup. Hard to tell. Plus, I'm having a hard time trying to project what Emery will do. To me, it made no sense getting rid of Carimi for a 6th round pick prior to seeing what he was capable of after his recovery (or possibly non-recovery). I would not have done that, so I have a hard time projecting what I even think he will do. Hell, Webb could play lights out and Emery could say they don't have enough money for him with other priorities and let him go. I have no clue, but I do think keeping Webb without much improvement is still a possibility if the situation is there.

9. Grizzblue

Grizzblue
    Expand Collapse
    Pro-Bowler

ßearz ßuckz:
    513ß
    MP, I don't see why we would move Long if he was doing well at RG.

Scenario: Long starts all games at RG and looks solid. We can see good progression throughout the year and the future looks bright for him. Meanwhile Webb struggles for some reason and its apparent that he can't be our RT of the future.

I think in this case (not saying I think it will happen, just for arguments sake) we are simply just looking for a new RT. Would make no sense to move Long to tackle if he was doing well at guard and looked like we may have a long term solution there. Why move a guy and risk stunting his growth, making him restart from ground zero at a new position. Combine this with the history of Trestman and Kromer seemingly viewing guards just as important if not more than their tackles and its more likely that we would be looking for a new RT that isnt named Kyle Long.

Only way I see Long moving is if he struggles at guard, or Brown comes out and plays lights out this year, AND Long shows just as much potential at tackle.

10. MPbears68

MPbears68
    Expand Collapse
    Hall of Famer

ßearz ßuckz:
    1,336ß
    Agreed. I could see Webb possibly sticking for cheap only if he remains just so-so (he'd be a really ideal swing T with experience on both sides). But this is a make-or-break contract year for him as a future starter. If he can't prove himself this season (mental mistakes especially) once and for all, he probably won't be offered a new contract. Someone will take his job at RT next year--could be Long, Mills, or someone new.

As for Carimi, my best guess is that the Bears made a judgment on him medically that wasn't positive. As in, as Windy said, his knee will never allow him to play T as a high level again. And he doesn't want to play G. So, lets get what we can for him now before it becomes obvious in TC that he's damaged goods. No other team is gonna give up even a beer vendor for a player clearly struggling in TC with a medical issue. It's a bummer situation all around. I had high hopes for him being a dominant RT for us but we rolled the dice on his knee and lost...only 2 games into his NFL career. Live and learn.