Bears Said to Panic if Donald not on Board

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by BSBEARS, Apr 6, 2014.

1. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +634 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    533ß
  2. The Benjamin

The Benjamin George Halas Staff Member

Ratings:
    +1,724 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    561ß
    The day Emery panics over a player not being there will never come. He always has an ace up his sleeve
    • Like Like x 6
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,712 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    697ß
    The only way he panicks is if Gilbert, Dix, Pryor and Donald are all off the board; and even then I don't think he panics. There is a reaons these guys have big boards, and if all of those guys were off the board then someone REALLY nice fell, and he'll either have trade partners or he'll have a top 10 guy sitting there for his choosing, hardly anything to panic about.
    • Like Like x 3
  4. strockrocks

strockrocks Veteran

Ratings:
    +212 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    22ß
    This waiting for the draft is getting out of control. Panic? Whatever... Nobody has me convinced (nor will we ever know) how Emery values everyone. Why would he panic; he knows Donald may not be there at #14 so he will have multiple plans in place.

None of these young men have even played a snap in an NFL game. Some will be great, some will be complete busts, and some will be OK. I'd love for Donald to be a Chicago Bear but it's out of my control if he gets picked ahead of us and there will be somebody else that has promise at #14 as well. We move on.
    • Like Like x 2
  5. The Benjamin

The Benjamin George Halas Staff Member

Ratings:
    +1,724 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    561ß
    Yup Emery likely has four or five players he would take there. If none are there, he trades back a little and gets more picks
  6. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,108 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    132ß
    I'm as big of a want-Donald guy as they come but this crap is pretty silly. Nobody, Emery especially, is gonna panic if Donald goes before 14. Or even be surprised. I figure there's a good 1 in 3 chance the NYG take him at 12. Having a penetrating DT who runs a freakish 4.65 40 at 290 lbs might just be an asset to them since they get to play RG3 and Chip Kelly's O 4 times every season.

I really doubt there's any basis to this story or even that McShay really knows who the Bears are "targeting". It's no secret to anyone who follows this stuff that Chicago has to be looking hard at DT and S in the mid-1st. Doesn't take a genius to "report" that.
    • Like Like x 2
  7. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,745 / 3 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,328ß
    Well said Benji. So we read still another lightweight article written solely for the purpose of wasting ink and paper ( although today it's more likes ones and zeros right?). Their editors say come up with something, anything, so they do no matter how much it may stretch the imagination.

At #14 he has an opportunity to pick from what I would guess are at least a half dozen players at the very top of his board so in the event that Donald is taken he has five more to choose from or he can trade back if he chooses and begin to add more 2nd tier players. Although drafting a DT may be our highest need we do have more than just that one need which any one of those other top players might fill.

Of those teams drafting from #1-#13 most are not 4-3 teams and of those who are the early predictions are that they have higher needs than a 4-3 DT. There are players in there who are better fits. What may happen though is that the QBs all slide and teams begin to load up on defenders. If that happens, or teams can envision Donald playin at DE (like Dwight Freeney whose similar in size), then yeah he may go.

I've been saying all along that this kid has the potential to be an "elite" pass rusher and run defender based solely on his ability to penetrate and his size actually becomes an advantage in that capacity, as opposed to a detraction. Guys like Freeney and Elvis Dumervil have proven that as DEs and it's entirely possible and some team could take him and plan to do that.

So yeah, he may be gone but sitting at that spot surrounded by other top picks AND then having the potential to trade back because the ONE guy you really wanted isn't there all become possibilities. All this article does is raise the "drama level" a bit for Bears fans which of course is exactly what the NFL wants right now. But the bait out there and then suggest that it may be taken away.

This movie with Kevin Costner, "Draft Day", is due out this month and I imagine it'll provide a lot of insights into the machinations that go on prior to and on draft day. It should be entertaining and educational.
  8. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Hall of Famer

Ratings:
    +1,348 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    454ß
    Not a big fan of the draft in May. Too much dead time
    • Like Like x 4
  9. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,712 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    697ß
    needs to be nxt week, NCAA tourny is done, they've had a week to talk about it. now you get the draft.
  10. Bearsinhouston

Ratings:
    +1,348 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    454ß
    A QB wasn't even taken until 16 last year. I don't see that happening this year, but if it did, then the 2 or three positions that are normally taken at QB would be offensive (OT mostly) and defensive (DE mostly). A DT was not taken until 13 last year. If you add 2 QBs into the mix this year, that shifts everything down a few positions. It's never the same from one year to the next, but it things did shift downward two positions, the first DT would be at 15 which means the Bears would get their choice of DT's. Won't go down that way, but we should have a pretty damn good choice of DT's. The thing that might change that (and probably will) only one DE is really looked at as being worth a high pick. That could mean that DT's take can penetrate might take those two picks and then the choices at DT might not be as good.

There were also 4 OT's picked before pick 14 last year. Not sure there are 4 that would go that early this year so again, maybe DT's fill their places.

How the DE, OT and QB choices go this year, will have a fairly large impact on how the ability to target Donald if that's our guy.
  11. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,108 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    132ß
    Yeah, every O player who comes off the board high helps us IMO. And the fact that Donald is a very scheme-specific fit helps us too.

Bortles seems assured of being top-10 and may go 1st overall (ya hard to believe but true).
    And I gotta think some dumb team like Jacksonville will take Manziel high just to generate some fan interest and put butts in the seats.
    That leaves Teddy B. Will his crappy pro day push him out of the top-15? Nah, Minny will take him. They have nothing at QB.
  12. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,108 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    132ß
    Yep, with FA 99.9% done there's nothing to hold interest until the draft which Roger pushed back 2 weeks this year. We are gonna see a lot of lightweight articles over the next month trying to fill time.
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Bearsinhouston

Ratings:
    +1,348 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    454ß
    If 3 QB's go before 14, that will help a bunch. Of course only one position prior to 14 taking the guy you want is all it takes to mess it up. If 3 QBs go, that leaves 10 spots ahead of us. You can bet Clowney will go, that leaves 9. At least 1 WR and 1 OT leaves 7. Probably a LB and more OT, but it gets muddy at that point.
  14. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,108 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    132ß
    Best guess to go in top-13:

2-3 QBs
    1-2 WRs
    2-3 OTs
    1 DE
    2 OLB/DE
    1-2 CBs
    0-1 S
  15. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,745 / 3 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,328ß
    Yeah but it gives St. Roger and his boys more time to build it up and promote it. It's his way of creating rabid anticipation that overcomes rational thought. Kinda like Meat Loaf in "Paradise by the Dashboard Light. You have 32 teams hoping they don't get stuck forever with a dud all because of one night of sin. LOL

16. Bearsinhouston

Ratings:
    +1,348 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    454ß
    What they need to be wary of is too much dead time = boring = NFL. Which is exactly what they don't want
  17. tbear1

tbear1 Veteran

Ratings:
    +142 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    39ß
    Everyone is talking about the Bears picking Donald. Based on Phil's unpredictability, I'll be surprised if Phil takes him if he is available. Many fans would be upset, but Emery has his own way of scoring players. It's still fun to speculate but we are all on the outside.
  18. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,745 / 3 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,328ß
    This is the first year they've done it this late right? So if it's an unpopular idea they can move it back a week or two. I think the teams like it because it extends the FA stuff longer and gives them more time to prepare their boards. Can't please everybody. I wish it was at least a week earlier than it is.
    • Like Like x 1
  19. DaTreeBears

DaTreeBears Veteran

Ratings:
    +592 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    234ß
    When you talk panic is this the same panic I saw after he didn't get Bennett, when he picked up Houston and Allen. If this's what you call Emery panicking, I want more panic from Phil because I love it when Phil panics because Bears get even better than what I though was possible. When you're good I don't think they call it panic they call it something else.
  20. Trackguy

Trackguy Veteran

Ratings:
    +146 / 1 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Nonsense. No NFL GM is going to "panic" if one guy isn't available at the 14th pick. We've all seen the "war rooms" on ESPN during draft day. Why would they have that many people working if they were only zeroed in on one guy?
    • Like Like x 1