Bears Said to Panic if Donald not on Board

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by BSBEARS, Apr 6, 2014.

1. EternalChampion

EternalChampion Rookie

Ratings:
    +32 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    McShay is a drama queen. Emphasis on the queen.

Anything is possible in this draft. Emery is perfectly capable of handling a Donald-already-gone scenario. Jerry Angelo however, may have sharted, then drafted an obscure DE from a school in Western Michigan proclaiming he was our guy all along.
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Hall of Famer

Ratings:
    +1,021 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    40ß
    We have competent management now. We will get a pick that can contribute. None of us know who yet, but I'm sure he will make a difference. This is already a different team than it was from the end of last year, and the same thing can be said for last offseason.

The guy improves the team every year. We are closing the gap on GB, and they are not standing still either. They have a hell of a management team there and for the first time in a very long time, I can honestly say that I think ours is better. We will overtake them. Maybe not next year, but I don;t think it is very far away either. Cap is being well managed and we are making significant changes to the team all the time. The strengths from last year (WR and OL are still with us, and even stronger with de la Puente for instance). If we can keep last years and these new strengths for the year after, I see many fewer holes.

And when Emery gets down to just 3 or four needs (as opposed to about 8 he had had to deal with in each offseason so far), who knows what he can accomplish. So far, I am liking what I see (other than Tucker :-)
    • Like Like x 2
  3. lklrlolnlilklsox

lklrlolnlilklsox Position Coach

Ratings:
    +276 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    It was said in minor hyperbolic jest to paint how well he think he fits our need. Having said that, if Donald and Dix are gone, I waste no time trading down and grabbing another pick. Having said THAT, I don't think Emery has any problem "reaching" for his guy at 14 even if the pundits value them differently.
    • Like Like x 2
  4. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,832 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    89ß
    Yeah. I could never picture the man in panic. He reminds me of the godfather. He makes offers that people can't refuse. Do you really believe Miami gave up B.Marsh for just a couple of third rounders? Ha! This is the guy who "welcomes players back with open arms" and they *shudder* are gone forever. If Uncle Phil wants Donald it will happen - or else somebody will sleep with the fishes.

[​IMG]
  5. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,441 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    628ß

True but the greatest share of the fans it's addressed to don't see it that way. They take it very literally and that's what it's intended to do.

We're less isolated from info and facts around here and we can sift through this crap a little better. The average fan doesn't see it being as tongue in cheek as it is in reality. The fit is so obvious that it's hard to disguise among those savvy enough about the Bears needs to understand that but me thinks those are in a minority or I wouldn't need to point out how much Nix isn't a fit for the Bears line.

I'm with you on that Donald or Dix or hit the phone lines for a trade back and more picks in two and/or three. If you can't always get what you want then get what you need. There are still starting caliber players in those rounds just not the top caliber ones.
  6. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,441 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    628ß
    This is the GM who tried to leap frog Phil for Kyle Long last year. You won't hear nothin' about him no more. Faggedaboudit!

[​IMG]
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. Bearsinhouston

Ratings:
    +1,021 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    40ß
    Soul:

Thank God you explained the photo. I really thought it was an exhausted fisherman after having his way with the first thing that smelled like tuna. They are still cuddling.....
    • Like Like x 1
  8. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,441 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    628ß
    Spooning with the fish huh? What and completely sick perverted human being you are houston! LOL

Well at least he was wearing his hip boots. You never know where those mackerel have been. I hear they get around some.
  9. Bearsinhouston

Ratings:
    +1,021 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    40ß
    BTW, JMO, but I think there is a better than 50-50 chance that either Detroit or the Giants take Donald before we pick. Hope not, but kind of thinking it might go like that.
    • Like Like x 2
  10. Bearsinhouston

Ratings:
    +1,021 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    40ß
    awhh... shucks.... :blush: flattery will get you nowhere.....
    • Like Like x 1
  11. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +991 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    24ß
    Soul, can you explain to me WHY Nix isn't a good fit or pick for the Bears???

:10 4 1[1]:

Or why we didn't trade Cutler for the #1 overall pick so we could draft Manziel?
    Or why Chris Conte hasn't yet been hauled out to a practice field in Lake Forest and publicly burned at the stake?
    I don't understand....

:3 8 14[1]:
  12. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,465 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    257ß
    Nix is a great fit for the Bears DL, the team gets a NT that is a clear upgrade from Paea AND get a 0 tech when they run 3-4, and they have said they will run SOME 3-4. dudes an althetic freak that can also get after the qb from the DT position if need be.
  13. dachuckster

dachuckster Veteran SuperFan

Ratings:
    +259 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    47ß
    I totally agree Ric. I was high on Nix from the start. The only thing with Nix is his injury. If our medical clears him as recovered 100% and if Donald is gone, I think Nix is preferable to the other DTs available.

But if Donald is there at 14, he is a better immediate benefit for our defense. Nix could possibly give use more flexibility long term (again assuming he has completely recovered form his knee injury). But I think Donald could step in with our current line and do well.
  14. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,465 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    257ß
    Da, if the Bears do plan on using a base 4-3 and need a "prototypical" 4-3 DT ya Donald is the guy, if the team needs a guy that can move around the line and work in a group then just about EVERY other DT is more preferable. It depends on what the team is planning on doing.

Either way I'd still prefer Dix or Pryor over any DT b/c there are some damn good DT's in the 2-3rd rounds, Anthony Johnson, Ego Ferguson, Will Sutton, Da Quan Jones, are all guys that can stop the run and get after a qb. But no to many FS's in those same rounds can cover the backfield the way Dix/Pryor can.
  15. Bearsinhouston

Ratings:
    +1,021 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    40ß
    Either one of these two guys can help the team. Emery and Trestman seem to know what they are doing. If they pick Nix, then that tells me that they may be wanting to do some things a little more differently on D than they have been saying publicly. I won't take it as they picked the wrong guy for the defense because they know more about their defense than I'll never know. Both guys can penetrate and provide pressure and that's what we need. They are better in different schemes and the guys making the picks know what schemes they are going to be running and they know who will work best.

I'm just waiting to see who they pick. I can't complain about the offseason so far.
    • Like Like x 2
  16. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,465 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    257ß
    BiH exactly. to many people still think they know the bears d scheme and draft preferences based on the old regimes choices. could be right could be wrong, but no one knows.
    The old regime wanted a smaller quick DT, we are assuming b/c they are going to continue to play a 4-3 they'll continue to want a small quick DT, that is not a given, Minny wanted two big fatties in the middle and ran a 4-3 and was pretty successful at it
    The old regime didn't care about S's, and drafted accordingly, so they assume that this regime doesn't care to draft S's early. Sea just one a SB b/c of the stud DB's they have, and there is something to be said for that considering how the rules are bent towards qb and wr, it might be a fluke, it might well be the new way of doing things.
    The old regime ran a base 4-3 and either cover 2 or 3 out of it only asking to get pressure from the front 4, but the reality is that the current regime, even last year didn't do that. They wanted blitzing from lb's and db's, and wanted their DE's and DT's and NT's do do different things other then just rush the passer. Maybe that was because of all the inj's, maybe that was a sign of the way Tucker wants to do things going forward. One thing is certain, they do wan to run SOME 3-4, and the team currently has NO 0 tech guys on the roster.

long story short, to many assumptions going on right now, and there will be to many assumptions flying after the draft and going into TC.
  17. EternalChampion

EternalChampion Rookie

Ratings:
    +32 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    We're a better team if we draft any of the top DTs (Donald, Nix, or Jernigan). I actually like Donald the best as he reminds me of JJ Watt, but Nix gives us scheme versatility. My dream come true draft has Gilbert falling to us and leaves Hageman available in the second round.
  18. 4dabers

4dabers Veteran DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +638 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    23ß
    Hey, I can imagine those tuna boats can get pretty lonely at night.
    • Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
  19. 4dabers

4dabers Veteran DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +638 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    23ß
    That's a pretty nice scenario. :)
  20. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,832 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    89ß
    I still want to know why we didn't trade Hester for 3 first round picks. :-)
    • Like Like x 1