Bears' second-round pick has room to grow

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by riczaj01, May 10, 2014.

1. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,438 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    211ß
    http://www.chicagotribune.com/sport...ears-bowen-spt-0511-20140511,0,5009243.column

Bears' second-round pick has room to grow
    Ego Ferguson projects as solid inside run defender who can fill gaps with size and shed blocks with length to work toward ball

Tribune reporters Dan Wied
    erer and Rich Campbell discuss Bears' new DTs Ego Ferguson, Will Sutton

The Bears and general manager Phil Emery addressed the interior of the defensive line during the second round of the NFL draft Friday night with the selection of LSU defensive tackle Ego Ferguson.
    The 6-foot-3, 315-pound, Ferguson projects as a solid inside run defender who can fill gaps with his size and shed blocks with his length to work laterally to the ball.
    The key with Ferguson is to think about the upside he brings to the NFL. The defensive tackle has a high ceiling because of his athletic ability and initial quickness off the ball, but with only one year of starting experience, he has room to develop.
    Ferguson needs pro coaching (and reps versus veteran talent) to develop as a pass rusher in the NFL. This is where he can work on his technique (hand placement), leverage, pad level and counter moves at the point of attack.
    From a scheme/alignment perspective, Ferguson can play the 3-technique tackle in the Bears 4-3 fronts and has the size also to slide down to nose tackle.
    Plus, the LSU product can align as the 2-technique (head up the guard) or a 2i-technique (inside shade of the guard) if defensive coordinator Mel Tucker shows more hybrid fronts this season to utilize the versatility of the defensive line.
    The Bears defense was gashed up front versus the run in 2013 and landing a player like Ferguson gives Tucker's unit a space eater in the rotation.
    This was Emery's goal in drafting Ferguson to continue the rebuilding of the defensive line. Now let's see if the defensive tackle can maximize his abilities to reach his high ceiling as an athlete.
    Special contributor Matt Bowen spent seven seasons in the NFL as a strong safety. He covers the NFL for Bleacher Report.
    Twitter @MattBowen41

Copyright © 2014 Chicago Tribune Company, LLC
  2. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,438 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    211ß
    For everyone worried about this kid, listen to the Bears scout talk about him on the first link. He's a natural leader, and all the LSU coaches and players said if you give him the chance he'll move mountains to do what you want him to do. Then listen to the NFLN draft profile about him in the 2nd link, the 2nd link says he'll be drafted by the early 3rd. This guy was not going to be there in the 3rd or 4th like many of the ESPNperts tried to claim.

http://www.chicagobears.com/multime...Ferguson/51b3fa78-596f-4912-8cca-026ae101810b

http://www.chicagobears.com/multime..._profile/98973967-331e-4569-882e-99274969c537
  3. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,816 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    75ß
    Just like with the Kyle Long pick, folks are going to say this guy was a "reach" pick. Emery couldn't care less about what these people think. Ever since he brought in Brandon Marshall that first season, Phil Emery is carefully and thoughtfully rebuilding a championship caliber team - from a team that had been allowed to atrophy under Jerry Angelo and Lovie Smith.

It's like watching a great chess master at work.

What the "experts" fail to realize is that Phil Emery doesn't worry about what the ESPN folks deem as the best players, but rather he studies these players and carefully picks the guys who fit with the Chicago Bears team. Not the ESPN team. The Chicago Bears team. The proof will be there for the "experts" to see when we unseat Green Bay as the class team of the NFCN, and ultimately win a Super Bowl. It's coming. Not this year, but soon. And for those "experts" who will THEN be trying to jump up onto the Bears/Emery bandwagon, well, Phil farts in their general direction - that's about how much he cares about those "experts"...
    • Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 2
  4. omc1969

omc1969 Veteran

Ratings:
    +190 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    I like this pick too. A run stuffer in the middle. Fills a need with a good player.
    • Like Like x 2
  5. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,438 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    211ß
    and his Low end, his floor/basement is run stuffer, the kid if he learns a few moves could end up being a pass disrupter to boot, that's rare from the NT position in a guy that size.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +1,816 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    75ß
    I am very excited to see this new DL coach, Paul Pasqualoni, work with these two new youngsters. He has the gears to build us a great DL, and these two young players will be a solid part of that. They should provide us years of solid play. I can't wait to see it all unfold. With all of our new players, I can see this new DL abusing Aaron Rogers and giving him living nightmares.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,438 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    211ß
    Stafford and whoever the vikes throw out there are going to have it worse imo. But ya the DL has a ton of youth on it now, Houston/Young are both 28 and younger, those are your long term DE starters, not to mention Bass, and Sutton/Ego are even younger. That DL got young in a hurry!
  8. Chicago_66

Chicago_66 Veteran

Ratings:
    +343 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    13ß
    I think this DL has the stuff to tango with most OL's in the NFL but what I'm really interested in watching is seeing them go up against a poor OL. They're going to tear apart that OL and make that QB's day as hellish as possible. I really think we're going to start beating up on poorer teams, not to mention wreak havoc against ones who actually do boast a solid front five. Willie Young and Houston graded very well against the run and you add in all these other additions and it leads one to believe the improvement in pass rush and run D is going to be leagues better than last year. If this DL is healthy it's going to be fun as hell to watch. Fresh legs all game.
    • Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,438 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    211ß
    The different looks this team could throw at teams, just in the front 4 is staggering.
    Allen and Bass can play DE
    Paea can play NT
    Collins can play DT
    Houston can play DT-OLB
    Willie Young and Izzy can play DT-DE
    Ratliff/Sutton/Ego can play DT/NT

not all are going to be on the team mind you but that is a TON of versatility Wanna stuff the run, Ratliff/Ego/Paea are in the middle w/Young and Houston on the outside.

Wanna go after the QB, Houston/Sutton are on the inside and Allen/Bass, hell maybe Shea in that situation?

They could do a lot of pre snap shifting also w/Allen/Ratliff/Young/Houston.
  10. Chicago_66

Chicago_66 Veteran

Ratings:
    +343 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    13ß
    Now that is something that will give opposing OC's fits and sleepless nights. Then you add in blitzes from anywhere on the field from LB's and DB's and suddenly playing the Bears defense isn't such an easy task. I love the goal line packages we'll have, it won't be easy to just pound it in anymore, we've got a huuge set of lineman between you and that endzone. Bostic, McC, and DJ can all get after the QB. This is going to be fun to watch.
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,438 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    211ß
    ya I think this D is going to impress a lot of people, I'm still worried about LB and S(IF inj's happen) but the entire team is better and deeper then last year, minus S.

and MUCH younger. Even more then next year I'm interested to see how the year after folds, as some of the older guys move on how the team looks.
  12. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +984 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    20ß
    I agree, Ric. I'm not as worried about S as you are but yeah LB is thin. We do need Shea and Bostic to step up. All in all though I'd say Emery has done a heckuva job on paper of rebuilding a D in one offseason that was in tatters just a few months ago.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Akuma2000

Akuma2000 Veteran SuperFan

Ratings:
    +144 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Yea, Emery is the man....he's done more in the first 2 to 3 years here than Angelo did in his 10.
    • Like Like x 2
  14. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +1,816 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    75ß
    He's improved our starting lineup, and also we seem to be going into this season with substantially better depth. At many positions, there is going to be so much solid talent that some good players won't even make the final roster this year. I like that a lot.
  15. Akuma2000

Ratings:
    +144 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    That kind versatility would give any OC many sleepless nights, this is going to be an exciting year to watch for our beloved Bears.......If the Bears stay healthy I believe they're gonna win the division and go deep in the playoffs this year, they will get their revenge from last year.
  16. Akuma2000

Ratings:
    +144 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Yea that's only sad thing about the nfl, a lot of good players not being able to make the final roster.......I agree we're gonna have a good team with great talent overall at every position which makes the team that much better.
    • Like Like x 1
  17. yttocs

yttocs Pro-Bowler SuperFan

Ratings:
    +43 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    But that is good for all. You have a need and other teams are full, cut a player , then you can grab them. win/win
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +1,816 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    75ß
    It's also good to have high-quality competition in camp. No more Camp Lovie country club where guys just had to show up and stay on Lovie's good side - and they were a lock. We should see some excellent competition this year and I love it. It's good for the players and the team.
    • Like Like x 2
  19. DaTreeBears

DaTreeBears Veteran

Ratings:
    +436 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    24ß
    That's why its so great to have GM & coach that look objectively at everything. As players that's all you ask is for a fair shot at making a team and earning a position. Players know who deserve to play and who doesn't so when players see there is no favoritism it makes busting your ass so much better. As a player knowing you have a legitimate chance makes a player play harder knowing the best player gets to play. Not the player that is the best rump ranger with the coach gets the job. Look at the good coaches they don't get lovie dovy or attached to any one player ask Belichick.
  20. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,438 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    211ß
    One of the recently retired Bears, might have been Izzy or Dez, or someone else I cannot remember, was asked about that, and they brought up Bauzine, they said first day of practice they wondered why he was drafted b/c he could not play. The entire team knew it the first day of practice!