Bears should let nature take course with Bostic

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by short faced bear, Aug 2, 2013.

1. short faced bear

short faced bear Assistant Head Coach DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,155 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    10ß

Sooner fast-developing rookie can displace Williams all the better for opening day

David Haugh's In the Wake of the News

7:29 p.m. CDT, August 1, 2013

BOURBONNAIS — In the 2003 preseason, a Bears rookie linebacker pressed into the starting lineup for the first exhibition game because of injury graded lower than any other player in his position group with a 66.

Ten years later, everybody can agree Lance Briggs got better.

So will Jon Bostic, the impressive rookie middle linebacker running with the No. 1 defense since starter D.J. Williams went down Wednesday. Like Briggs did from Day 1, Bostic looks like he belongs in an NFL huddle. Initial impressions make it easy to see why the Bears drafted Bostic 50th overall — the highest they have taken a linebacker since Briggs fell into their laps at 68 in the third round of the 2003 NFL draft

Game action will provide a clearer gauge but so far Bostic shows no signs of being the next Michael Okwo or Leon Joe on a long list of over-drafted Bears linebackers. That is not to say Bostic necessarily will blossom into a seven-time Pro Bowler the way Briggs did after he replaced Bryan Knight. But if Bostic takes advantage of his opportunity as many expect, by Sept. 8 Williams' injury might go down as a happy accident.

Whenever Williams returns from a calf injury the Bears ominously call "week to week," Bostic could have proven to be too strong to supplant. Or if Williams' injury keeps him out longer than originally expected, Bostic's rapid development figures to keep anybody from wondering whether the Bears should tempt Brian Urlacher to come out of retirement. Talk-radio callers can hang up and listen for their answer, but it is a resounding no.

Realistically, the Bears should like nothing more than for Bostic to start the season-opener at middle linebacker and first-round draft pick Kyle Long to line up at right guard as part of the grand plan. One week into training camp at Olivet Nazarene University, coach Marc Trestman has been fascinating to follow. As Trestman pushes players with phrases like "This isn't a symposium!'' and "Let's run this play before November,'' he already has been more quotable during practices than Lovie Smith was during news conferences.

Only one thing has been more obvious than Trestman increasing the practice tempo: The Bears are closer to starting over than making the Super Bowl. Or, welcome to another Chicago team focusing on the future more than circling 2013 on its championship calendar.

General manager Phil Emery received deserved praise for announcing an in-season ban on negotiating contract extensions for 43 players, including 12 regulars. On the other hand, it also reinforced how many more aging veterans the Bears rely upon instead of up-and-comers — which allowed Emery to be so bold.

The developmental realities of Trestman's first season make it all the more baffling why the Bears neglected to draft a quarterback to groom behind Jay Cutler. If they had done so, all this recent blather about the read option might have sounded less nonsensical.

The read option, an old-school play considered new-age as more mobile NFL quarterbacks thrive using it, requires the quarterback either to hand off to a running back or keep the ball depending on the choice of a backside defender. It can be a terrific weapon if your quarterback is elusive or his name is Russell Wilson or Robert Griffin III or Colin Kaepernick. It is a wasted snap if your quarterback is Cutler.

Why would an offensive guru like Trestman even bother practicing it?

Like the Wildcat, every play the Bears experiment with the NFL's latest fad is one less play the Bears utilize Cutler's strengths — throwing on the run, not reading whether to run. The most egregious thing stems from the contradiction that the Bears' entire offseason revolved around improving protection for Cutler when even one read-option play exposes him to an unblocked defender.

"The thing about Jay on a read option, Jay knows how to get down,'' Trestman said.

Unless Trestman means Cutler getting down at '80s parties, I suggest he watch more 2012 game tape. Cutler perhaps improved his ability to avoid contact but his instincts take over too often, as they did against the Texans. After Tim Dobbins clocked Cutler badly enough to cause a concussion, he fearlessly scrambled for an 11-yard gain the next play. He took six more snaps after that. He cannot be trusted to make prudent decisions to elude punishment.

Let teams with quarterbacks whose legs pose as big a threat as their arms set league trends. Let Cutler win games with his arm. The only time a Bears quarterback should run the read option is on the scout team against the starting defense.

It has a promising young middle linebacker that needs to prepare for everything in a major role he appears ready to embrace on a team in transition.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sport...haugh-bears-chicago-20130802,0,7164005.column

2. Grizzblue

Grizzblue Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +414 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    20ß
    I'm excited to see what Bostic can do. He had the stars line up for him and will get quite a few chances to prove himself worthy of being an early starter.
  3. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Hall of Famer

Ratings:
    +992 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    11ß
    he was a good pick and he will be a contributor. I feel the same way about Long. Not sure how big a difference maker either will be this year though. From what I am reading Jeffrey looks like he is really going to move the needle this year. He will be a difference maker. I have not enough about Shea to make the same statement. He has to be better than he was last year. He really didn't show up last year to the level I would have liked to see a first rounder show up, but I completely behind him and it's not we are really deep at DE, so I really would like to see him take a major step forward.
  4. Mr. Deliverance

Mr. Deliverance Guest

Ratings:
    +109 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Bostic is going to be a fantastic player for us. He was a boss at Florida and he's going to be easy to notice on that field because he is just as fast as Urlacher was, prior to his injury. It wouldn't surprise me if Bostic starts from Day 1. He is a plug and play, ready to go from day 1 type of player.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. JPosh2012

JPosh2012 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +86 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Bostic IMO was the best Emery pick from this past draft. He is going to be something special.
  6. Jimmors

Jimmors The Rhymenoceros Staff Member SuperFan

Ratings:
    +3,959 / 8 / -4
    ßearz ßuckz:
    141ß
    Glad to hear Bostic is turning out well. IF AJ, Bostic and Long turn into legit starters and possibly pro-bowlers in the future, then i think its safe to say that Emery is an excellent evaluator of talent, especially since we have not had any high picks to speak of in those two drafts, Emery did the best with what he had, and it shows (hopefully).

Still hoping that 3 years from now, we end up seeing Bostic+Greene as our new Lach/Briggs combo.
  7. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,192 / 8 / -7
    ßearz ßuckz:
    65ß
    I just can't get over my feeling of the SLB spot being horribly mismanaged during the Lovie regime. I know it's "not as important" in his system, but I really hope either Bostic starts there, or he bumps DJ to the spot he was originally drafted to play (until Al Wilson had a career ending injury)
  8. Grizzblue

Grizzblue Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +414 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    20ß
    This is a great chance for Bostic to do just that. With the Williams injury he is going to get the shot to be "the guy" at least for now. If he is impressive, my feeling is that he will stick at MLB
  9. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,373 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    491ß
    Looks like David Haugh's evil twin was helping him write this article. WTF does Cutler running a read option have to do with Jon Bostic and his prospects this year? Cutler isn't gonna be running a read option offense anymore than I intend to start training to run in the Bolder Boulder 10k next year. I have a designated daughter who'll do that for me instead and it's only right. She owes me! ;) And if we run any read option it'll be one of the others doing it with Cutler out due to another injury.

But as for Bostic he's smart enough and athletic enough to play if we need him but at least for starters I'm hoping D J Williams isn't out long. He's good LB and he'd be a great one to help ease the transition for Bostic. But that said Williams injury is a positive right now because it's allowing Bostic to work with the first unit and get his feet wet while it doesn't count for squat. Initially is wasn't in favor of the Bostic pick over Arthur Brown but for a MLB I can see Bostic having the advantage over Brown who I'd look at as more of a WLB. But now we have a different understudy for that role so it all came out in the wash.
  10. Mr. Deliverance

Mr. Deliverance Guest

Ratings:
    +109 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Wow you really have a hard on for Cutler. Anytime anyone brings your boyfriend's name up and even suggests anything negative about him you get on the rag.
  11. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,192 / 8 / -7
    ßearz ßuckz:
    65ß
    I was gonna say something, but I think I'm just gonna go get some popcorn. LOL
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Blue Horse-shoe

Blue Horse-shoe Veteran

Ratings:
    +137 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    47ß
    They can start him but if he flubs up too much they can always replace him w an experienced Williams. I don't know how it's gonna pan out but the better player will be the one whos in there.
  13. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,373 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    491ß
    Go fuck yourself D. I figure you'll at least know how to do that much correctly.

Most of us don't need to resort to juvenile shit like this when we post. How old are you anyway? This is the kind of crap we're used to seeing from the kids on the old CBMB. Is that where you posted before? We don't post this kind of stuff around here because we can think, act, and post like adults not junior high schoolers.

I defend Jay Cutler because he's the best f'n QB this team has seen since Sid Luckman and the best hope this team has for winning a championship. If you actually knew anything about evaluating football players you might see that to but your too busy just tossing out put downs based on something like "he's a head case" to actually realize what he's capable of. If he is a "head case" then I'd say it takes one to know one. In reality I think most of the DaBears members believe you're the biggest "head case" posting here these days.

Maybe you should try a little different approach before you find yourself taking a non-voluntary vacation from us for a few weeks.
    • Like Like x 5
  14. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,373 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    491ß
    Make it a double with extra butter and sea salt and sit back in that old easy chair of yours. By the look of it this one may just be in the early innings. ;)
  15. Mr. Deliverance

Mr. Deliverance Guest

Ratings:
    +109 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    LOL@ SoulMan. I actually reported this post just to see if anything gets done or if its perfectly fine to cuss out members like you do, Man who is full of so much Soul.

Maybe the rules are different for you S O U L M A N.

Maybe you're the one that needs a nice vacation because apparently you think its perfectly fine to cuss other members out when they call out your love affair with your Cutler boy. What's wrong? No one can say anything negative about Cutler because you run these boards, man who is full of so much Soul?
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2013
  16. zelezo vlk

zelezo vlk Veteran

Ratings:
    +22 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    You clearly attacked him first, be cautious and realize that we are all Bear fans. Let's all crack open a brew and chill out with the knowledge that the season is almost upon us.
  17. Mr. Deliverance

Mr. Deliverance Guest

Ratings:
    +109 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Interesting...

Do I CURSE members out on this board? Answer: NO. So stay out of this. This is for the mods to decide if its OK for members to curse out another member, when one doesn't even do the same. This is all about equal board rule enforcement. Guy needs to be banned simply because he thinks its ok to cuss people out when it suits his fancy. And I don't curse out members on this board.
  18. Loki

Loki Assault Admin Staff Member

Ratings:
    +3,053 / 12 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    179ß
    I CLEARLY remember posting a "warning" that said...

I would like to emphasize the part where I said....

As much as I absolutely hate it.....BOTH of you. 3 days.

Mr. D for attacking (trollish cutler comments) even after the warning.
    SM for attacking back (self defense), even after the warning.
    Mr. D for "reporting it" to see what would happen and if the rules were different for soul. Pull another dickish DB54 stunt like that and I will, you can take it to the bank, permaban you so fast you won't have time to blink.

Neither of you are mods, and neither of you need to take each other to task.

Take three days off. You can read this when you get back.

[​IMG]
    • Like Like x 6
  19. JJ-30

JJ-30 Veteran

Ratings:
    +106 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Here I though this was a Bears board and now I find out it a church board
  20. mdbearz

mdbearz Veteran

Ratings:
    +278 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    16ß
    I hope Bostic is BU 2.0, but I will wait and see.
    • Like Like x 2