Bears show a few new twists on defensive line

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by short faced bear, Aug 6, 2013.

1. short faced bear

short faced bear Assistant Head Coach DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,178 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    57ß
    Having Melton stand up in pass-rushing situations among the wrinkles Tucker adding to Smith's scheme

By Brad Biggs, Chicago Tribune reporter

7:48 p.m. CDT, August 6, 2013

BOURBONNAIS — Mel Tucker is keeping Lovie Smith's defense intact to the point that he learned the language of the system after his hiring in January instead of installing a new one for the Bears staff and players to follow.

But there will be wrinkles, shifts and slight changes as the unit is molded to fit Tucker's personality as a coach and play caller and his feel for the personnel. The first place to look is up front, where he's doing some similar things in sliding ends inside in the nickel package and where tackle Henry Melton played standing up in some pass-rushing situations Tuesday.

"Defensively, our front has been moving around," coach Marc Trestman said. "You saw today a lot of different looks, which is excellent for the offense because those are the types of things we are going to see throughout the season."

Tucker might deliver different looks for opponents too, as he inevitably has a few twists ahead. By having Melton stand up, the Bears can confuse the offense's protection count because it will not know if he is rushing or dropping into coverage. It could set up some zone pressure schemes, and Julius Peppers, Corey Wootton and Shea McClellin are all athletic enough to accomplish the same feat.

"We're just testing it out right now," said Melton, who has 13 sacks over the last two seasons. "We're going to see how it works for us, and we'll see if we're going to run it."

Good problem to have: Quarterback Jay Cutler understands it will be a balancing act to get everyone involved in the offense now that the skill positions have been enhanced with tight end Martellus Bennett. How will he go about it?

"Very delicately," Cutler said. "Those guys are good. They understand why we run certain plays and they're not going to get the ball at certain times, but they've got to help out their buddy to get him open. We've done a really good job of spreading it around and making sure that Marty gets balls, (Brandon Marshall) gets the ball, Alshon (Jeffery), Matt Forte, and we've tried to give certain guys days off so we can spread it around and keep everyone happy.

"I'll take that position every day of the week. I can handle that."

One guy Cutler didn't mention — and he wasn't on the practice field Tuesday — was wide receiver Earl Bennett. The team said he still is being evaluated for a possible concussion, three days after he left at the beginning of Saturday's practice at Soldier Field with a team doctor and four days after he suffered a big hit near the goal line.

Health beat: Nickel back Kelvin Hayden (left hamstring) and middle linebacker D.J. Williams (right calf) remain sidelined and are not expected on the field this week. Forte was given the day off, and Peppers was excused for personal reasons.

Extra points: Defensive end Kyle Moore made a nice play to stuff running back Michael Ford in the backfield with the second team. … Right tackle J'Marcus Webb was guilty of some serious holding against Wootton on one snap. … Wide receiver Eric Weems will have to excel on special teams to crack the roster. He had a drop in 7-on-7. … In a day won by the defense, Cutler did connect with Joe Anderson on a bomb.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sport...7-bits-bears-chicago-20130807,0,7096123.story
  2. short faced bear

Ratings:
    +1,178 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    57ß
    I have reservations about Melton's coverage skills. Dropping Shea back makes sense of course. I wonder if this hybrid is the transition to the 3-4 and the eventual departure of Melton.
  3. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,708 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    678ß
    I don't think it's to set up the departure of Melton, but to see if he can play multiple posistion to see if they can keep him around.
  4. short faced bear

Ratings:
    +1,178 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    57ß
    So if he performs as one of the top 3tech DT's out there he wouldn't be "kept around?" Never played in coverage before seemingly and now learn a new type position as he's just now starting to reach his potential at 3tech. Yeah, I don't know about all that. Use him once in a while as a gimmick ok but rely on him in coverage as a regular strategy? Not so much.
  5. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,708 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    678ß
    SFB, if the team is moving to a 3-4/hybrid then there is no reason to keep a top 4-3 guy is there; let alone pay them the kind of money that Melton will demand. UNLESS that guy can be used as a 4-3 DT AND can be used elsewhere when in 3-4.

This is a long term thought process the team is looking at. They might well WANT to keep Melton, but if he doesn't fit their future system then they cannot pay him.
  6. Mr. Deliverance

Mr. Deliverance Guest

Ratings:
    +109 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    You hit the nail on the head Ric. I think there's a good chance they are starting to size up who is going to be a fit in that 3-4, which could come us soon as next year.
  7. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,708 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    678ß
    Yep, not to say they won't ever line up in a 4-3, but it won't necessarily be the base, and if you only fit into 1 they are not going to pay you the top dollar that a one of the best at that one position demands.
  8. lklrlolnlilklsox

lklrlolnlilklsox Position Coach

Ratings:
    +299 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    44ß
    Hooray, more bullshit 3-4 speculation.
    • Like Like x 2
  9. short faced bear

Ratings:
    +1,178 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    57ß
    Which leads back to the original point of if they are going to a 3-4 or not.
  10. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,708 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    678ß
    Yes its obvious 3-4 horseshit, seeing as no one said 3-4, but 3-4 hybrid which the DC is very familiar with, which DJ Williams is familiar with, which Shea is suited for, and why else are they moving Melton around again? One of the best straight 4-3 DT's and you want him off the line? hell the ONLY missing piece for this D to go full on 3-4/hybrid is the NT but w/the limited amount of draft picks no surprise they didn't draft one this past draft.
  11. lklrlolnlilklsox

Ratings:
    +299 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    44ß
    Every time a new wrinkle or player has been added to the D it's "oh, definitely a sign of them moving to the 3-4." It's fucking annoying and has no base in reality. We are currently running the 4-3, and Tucker is testing his new unit's flexibility and versatility. Versatility and shifting looks is something every team in the league is trying to do at some level. Reading into that as anything more is the same annoying bullshit we hear in every single thread about the D or the future of players on this squad. Sure, it could happen, but it's fucking annoying the way every little move on D is now a sign of it's imminent inception. Let me know when we play actually play in a 3-4 and this argument becomes pragmatic. As far as I, or anyone here knows, we still play out of the 4-3 base and I love that we are growing up with the league and looking at giving hybrid looks.

BTW, I heard the safeties and Major Wright especially, have been playing up on the line a lot, definitely means we are going to be playing the 46 next season. Why else would they do that? Surely not to give different looks to the high-flying opposing offenses of today's NFL. I swear, some of you guys are so fixated on Bears football that I wonder if you watch the other 31 teams play, because Lovie's strict, straight-forward 4-3 C2 is the exception these days, not the standard.
  12. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,708 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    678ß
    Again mel tucker runs a hybrid D. there is a base of fact, Shea is not a 3 down DE, base in fact, DJ Williams has played every LB in a 3-4 and 4-3, base in fact, they let go of the PREMERE 4-3 LB base in fact. but no base? Just b/c you say so doesn't make it so.

No one is saying they are going to run a hybrid THIS YEAR so what is happening THIS year is irrelevant. It's are they moving towards a 3-4 hybrid....again the D the DC runs.
  13. lklrlolnlilklsox

Ratings:
    +299 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    44ß
    Mel Tucker ran a strict, conventional 4-3 C2 under Del Rio, put in a bit of his style on much of the same last year and only coached one season in the 3-4 before that. Nothing hybrid about what he's done except his background in diverse schemes.
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Mr. Deliverance

Mr. Deliverance Guest

Ratings:
    +109 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    To say it has no base in reality is a bit off the mark. When you look at the specific defensive players being drafted, they are guys that are actually much better suited for the strengths of a 3-4. Yet athletic and diverse enough to also fit in many 4-3 base defenses. Listen Emery is 'Patriot Way' believing GM. And he also comes from the camp that believes in the 3-4. There's no getting around that. Emery is not a Cover 2 supporter. It does take time though to transition from a Cover 2 defense to a 3-4. And in that regard, he's being smart about it. The guys the Bears are bringing in the last 2 drafts are guys that are just beter suited in a 3-4. That can't be dismissed. I personally think that this is the last year we run the 4-3.
  15. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,428 / 8 / -10
    ßearz ßuckz:
    351ß
    While I don't doubt they may try some kind of use of a 3-4, there's absolutely no sign that Emery's rebuilding the defense with 3-4 parts, rather than 4-3. That's implying that he essentially knew McClellan wasn't going to be used effectively under Lovie, and now Trestman, which would be kinda weird given that it was his first pick as GM.
  16. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,428 / 8 / -10
    ßearz ßuckz:
    351ß
    I'll add that since Devin Hester was working with the DB's on tackling, he surely must be switching back to defense, rather than improve on his tackling for special teams. lol
  17. Mr. Deliverance

Mr. Deliverance Guest

Ratings:
    +109 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Well that's just silly.
    McClellan is not a DE. He's 3-4 pass rushing LB. Its understood that Lovie wasn't going to be around after that 1 year, where Emery was forced to work with him. Every GM brings in their own guy. And the only reason Emery was FORCED to work with Lovie for one more year is because he's black and the Bears ownership didn't want to deal with any potential backlash about firing a 'minority hire.' Its an ugly truth many don't want to look at in the face, but that's the only reason Lovie was brought back.

They even set him up to fail by making Tice his OC. I mean it was a perfect plan to avoid any backlash for firing a black coach, but all this was carefully coordinated to make Lovie's exit justified and 'clean.'
    • Like Like x 3
  18. zelezo vlk

zelezo vlk Veteran

Ratings:
    +22 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Devin Hester is our No 1 CB...if I hear somebody say that even as a joke I'm going to flip a sh*t.
  19. lklrlolnlilklsox

Ratings:
    +299 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    44ß
    No, Shea McClellin is, in fact, a DE whose athleticism allows him schematic versatility. He was a hand in the dirt DE all throughout college and was the same last year.
  20. stonehouse91

stonehouse91 Rookie

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Emery likes versatility, 4-3, 3-4 doesn't make a difference. Emery actually got indepth during his conference after firing Lovie. Almost no teams play the true 3-4 anymore, its just how guys set up at the snap of the ball. 4-3 3-4 is just the front 7 guys, in different places. Move on from the McClellin argument, he moved around a lot last year, shadowing qbs, covering RB's etc, he'll do more of that this year.

As for moving guys around, hey, why not, keep offenses on their toes. Reality is, they will likely rush 4 drop 7. I think Tucker is running through different things, he's never had close to this talent before to work with, so some of his ideas he never got to try.
    • Like Like x 1