Bears show a few new twists on defensive line

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by short faced bear, Aug 6, 2013.

1. short faced bear

short faced bear

Ratings:
    +1,068 / 0 / -1
    I'm not sure why there can't be conjecture about if they are going to switch to a 3-4 or anything else. Jesus, how many pages of what a stud wr Wilson is or the Webb fest there was to sort through on the old board. It's PRESEASON and it's something to whittle the time away.
  2. Mr. Deliverance

Mr. Deliverance Guest

Ratings:
    +109 / 0 / -1
    Shorty conjecture on this fascinating topic is not allowed right now because lklrlolnlilklsox's vagina is leaking. He'll be back to normal soon though. Then we can go to town on this 3-4 debate.
  3. lklrlolnlilklsox

lklrlolnlilklsox

Ratings:
    +201 / 0 / -0
    Go fuck yourself, bitch.
    • Like Like x 2
  4. 4th and 26

4th and 26 Staff Member

Ratings:
    +402 / 1 / -2
    Mr. Deliverance if I see another dumb ass remark like this again I will personally remove your sphincter from this site. I have very little patience for this crap right now and it has been a very long time since I banned someone one.
  5. Mr. Deliverance

Mr. Deliverance Guest

Ratings:
    +109 / 0 / -1
    Sorry about that lklrlolnlilklsox I got a little carried away with the joking. I'll curb my enthusiasm. Hopefully there's no hard feelings over it.
  6. MPbears68

MPbears68

Ratings:
    +856 / 1 / -0
    I agree that Shea doesn't seem nearly as suited to be a traditional 4-3 DE as he does being a 3-4 rushbacker and its true that Emery was (foolishly) forced into keeping Lovie one more year when everyone knew he would want to bring in his own team as he saw fit as the new GM.

I'm not sure I buy the idea though that Tice was made OC to "set up" Lovie to fail and give the pretext for canning him. If so, it didn't work so well because despite Tice's sucky performance on O, the team managed to go 10-6 and was the only 10 win team to NOT make the playoffs (thanks to Minny beating GB in week 17). Fact is, Lovie hired Tice (he was adamant that the GM picked players but the HC picked the coaching staff) and did so largely because Lovie was unable to ever hire quality O-coaching help. Especially last year--what OC type would want to take on what surely looked like a likley "one and done" OC suicide job? I agree that Tice's screwup job last year sealed Lovie's fate (barely) but that was on Lovie, not a setup from above.

And there were a number of writers and commentators who did play the "unfair firing of a minority HC card" after LS was axed. They said stuff like: "who fires a HC after a 10 win season?" insinuating it was racial and that NFL HCs are a "gold ole boys white club" which we all know is bs. That pissed me off. Anyone who has followed the Bears closely over the last decade knows that Lovie, as good a 'DC' as he was, had been given ample opportunity and had failed at a HC. 9 years and only 1 playoff appearance since 2006? Only one top-half team offense in all that time? 2 straight seasons of late-year collapse causing the team to miss sure-fire playoff appearances? Massive proven failure in hiring O-coaching staff to develop talent and improve the offense?

I don't care what color Lovie is...he had plenty of chances to produce a consistent winner and a consistenly balanced team capable of contending year in-year out and HE FAILED. That's why he was fired and deservedly so. Being content with mediocrity is not a succesful business model in any walk of life.
  7. Mr. Deliverance

Mr. Deliverance Guest

Ratings:
    +109 / 0 / -1
  8. Grizzblue

Grizzblue

Ratings:
    +287 / 0 / -0

In college he did both, but the majority of the time he was a stand up 5/7 on the strong side of the defense. He did situationaly drop to a traditional 5/7 but the majority of his time was played as a OLB who was on the end of the line, about a yard off the ball. This is no secret this is what Shea does best. It is not to engage a tackle and shed a block, but instead to read the play from a 2 pt stance and then use his athleticism and speed to make a play instead of fighting off an OT. If there is ANY evidence of a soon to be 3-4 then the Shea pick is the only one that I have questions about. It made no sense at the time and continues to make little sense as he struggles at DE. Fact is, Shea was an olb in college that had enough versatility to play as a down linemen in the 5/7 role depending on the situation, but was not the strength of his game.
    T
    I think that Shea will be the only one running around pre snap this year. Its not anything to read into imo, just Tucker trying to get him into the best situation for him to be successful, because he has serious struggles as a down linemen. Shea is NOT a pure DE, so it would make little sense to use him like one. The whole square peg into a round hole thing...
    • Like Like x 3
  9. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston

Ratings:
    +774 / 2 / -0
    I agree. I think that Lovie was just a crap evaluator of coaching talent. It was more who he could work with than who was the best. I think who you can work with is always a valid criteria in choosing your coaches or managers, but Lovie took it to a new level. do think that Emery just let Lovie sink or swim based on his decisions. His decision to choose Tice and the subsequent performance (or lack thereof) was certainly a factor in Lovies departure, but really Emery had to play it that way. You don't take away a man's choice of coaches and then at the end of the year condemn him for his performance. Lovies defense would have been that Emery did not let him have his choice of coach. Emery evaluated Lovie not only on performance but his ability to choose a winning team. I think all of that contributed to Emery getting rid of him.

I agree that Lovie was to blame for having Tice be OC. It's nice to have someone loyal to you as your coordinator, but even better to have someone that can do that job. Lovie had a terrible record of choosing those people and anyone that hires him in the future should be well aware of that. It is one of his downsides.
  10. MPbears68

MPbears68

Ratings:
    +856 / 1 / -0
    We see it similarly. I have no doubt that Lovie will be back in the NFL in a prominent position sooner or later. He would probably make a good DC if the HC he was under was a strong personality who didn't allow him to play favorites and remove accountability for some players he liked.

He doesn't have the necessary tools to be a HC again IMHO but it wouldn't surprise me to see some team give him a job anyway. He's inept on the O side of the ball--players and coaches--and can't be the guy in charge.
    • Like Like x 1