Bears Sigining Bonuses for UDFA's Well Under NFL Max..........

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by soulman, May 22, 2014.

1. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,760ß
    Bears spend most on undrafted linemen

The Tribune's Rich Campbell and Dan Wiederer wrap up Bears rookie camp and look ahead.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The Tribune's Rich Campbell and Dan Wiederer wrap up Bears rookie camp and look ahead.
    By Brad Biggs, Tribune reporter
    10:40 a.m. CDT, May 21, 2014

A pair of linemen received the largest signing bonuses of the nine undrafted free agents the Chicago Bears signed immediately after the NFL draft.

According to a league source, the Bears signed Wisconsin guard Ryan Groy and Louisville defensive tackle Brandon Dunn to contracts that each included an $8,000 signing bonus.

Northern Illinois quarterback Jordan Lynch, who has been converted to running back, received a $3,000 signing bonus. The second-highest signing bonus went to Florida State linebacker Christian Jones, who received a $7,000 signing bonus.

East Carolina defensive tackle Lee Pegues ($3,500), TCU guard James Dunbar ($1,500), South Florida linebacker Devekeyan Lattimore ($1,500), Temple offensive tackle Cody Booth ($1,000) and Alabama linebacker Tana Patrick ($750) rounded out the signings.

The largest signing bonuses for undrafted players often will go to linemen because there is a shortage of them and teams need them to fill out 90-man rosters for training camp. The Bears spent $34,250 on undrafted free agents, well below the NFL’s cap of $80,000.

bmbiggs@tribune.com
    Twitter @BradBiggs
  2. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,760ß
    The Bears didn't have to dip to deep into their pocket book to sign their 9 UDFA's. They were well under the NFL imposed cap for such signings. Groy, Lynch, and Jones will probably have the best chance of making either the final roster or the PS.
  3. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,715 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,243ß
    After taxes he'll have enough for a decent dinner at a nice Chicago restaurant and pay for his Amtrak ticket to go back home. I think Papa Bear Halas would have liked this Emery guy :-)
  4. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,760ß
    Yeah I had to laugh at that one although I think he got Doug Atkins for a six-pack and a couple of hamburgers. I don't think he wanted Doug too well fed before games. Hungry and angry was best.
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. short faced bear

short faced bear Assistant Head Coach DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,233 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    158ß
    Still enjoy the Halas quote: "he throws nickels around like manhole covers".
    • Like Like x 1
  6. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,760ß

Well a nickel bought more in the '60s shorty. Or so my grandfather told me. :rofl2: