Bears sign 7 to Practice Squad. One Spot left

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by The Benjamin, Sep 1, 2013.

1. The Benjamin

The Benjamin George Halas Staff Member

Ratings:
    +2,149 / 7 / -9
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,559ß
    The Bears on Sunday signed seven players to their practice squad, including five who had recently been waived by the team after participating in training camp.

The returnees include linebacker Jerry Franklin, cornerback Demontre Hurst, tight end Fendi Onobun, running back Harvey Unga and defensive end Aston Whiteside. Also signed to the practice squad were quarterback Jerrod Johnson and receiver Ricardo Lockette.

[​IMG]
    Fendi Onobun
    Franklin was claimed by the Bears off the Cowboys' practice squad late last season and appeared in the final three games, recording two special teams tackles. The 6-1, 245-pounder showed promise in training camp and the preseason, especially on special teams.

Hurst joined the Bears this year as an undrafted free agent from Oklahoma. He showed his playmaking ability in the preseason finale against the Browns, intercepting a Brian Hoyer pass and drawing an intentional grounding penalty with a well-timed blitz.

Onobun performed well at times in training camp but struggled in the preseason, dropping three passes without recording a reception in the first three games. He caught four passes for 45 yards in the finale against the Browns. But one pass that deflected off his hands was intercepted and returned for a touchdown. He also had another drop and committed two holding penalties.

Onobun followed an unusual path to the NFL. He played basketball for four years at Arizona before using a final year of college eligibility to play football at the University of Houston in 2009.

Onobun was selected in the sixth round of the 2010 NFL Draft by the Rams and appeared in three games as a rookie with St. Louis, catching two passes for 15 yards. He had brief stints with the Seahawks, Redskins, Jaguars and Bills before joining the Bears after the 2012 season.

Unga was selected by the Bears in the 2010 supplemental draft. He enters his fourth season, but has not appeared in a regular-season game. The 6-foot, 237-pounder was on injured reserve in 2010, on the reserve/left team list in 2011 and on the practice squad for most of the 2012 season.

Whiteside also spent most of last season on the Bears' practice squad. The 6-2, 255-pounder from Abilene Christian joined the team last summer after being released by the Cowboys.

Johnson entered the NFL with the Eagles in 2011 as an undrafted free agent from Texas A&M. He has also spent time with the Steelers and Seahawks, but has not appeared in a regular-season game. The 6-5, 250-pounder left Texas A&M as the school's all-time leading passer with 8,011 yards.

Lockette appeared in two games with the Seahawks in 2011, catching two passes for 105 yards including a 61-yard touchdown. The 6-2, 211-pounder spent part of last season with the 49ers, but did not appear in a game. He was released by San Francisco on Aug. 22.

The Bears still have one spot open on their eight-man practice squad.

http://www.chicagobears.com/news/ar...ce-squad/d53b3e6f-522a-4edc-bf84-567390934bab
  2. The Benjamin

The Benjamin George Halas Staff Member

Ratings:
    +2,149 / 7 / -9
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,559ß
    Bears fans start complaining about Fendi Onobun being a waste on the Practice Squad roster to being in 5.....4....3...2..1.
  3. little bear

little bear Assistant Head Coach

Ratings:
    +985 / 1 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,129ß
    First! :-)

Seriously, Onobun and Unga?!?! What a waste. Hopefully Tolliver will be the eight and last player.
    • Like Like x 2
  4. Papa_Bear_7

Papa_Bear_7 Veteran

Ratings:
    +118 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    48ß
    I'd love to see Toliver back but I wonder if he'd want to go to a team with less WR depth if he has the option.
  5. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,474 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    504ß
    I have no problem with Onobun on the PS. Suggested it when I found out he still had eligibility and the team was so high on his "athleticism". Let him catch a couple hundred balls a day from the Juggs machine and more from the PS QB and see if can develop some ball skills like Jennings did. If not, nothing much is lost or risked. It would have been stupid to keep him on the regular roster; Cutler would have never trusted him with a pass.

I suppose Franklin just replaces JTT who I was sorry to see go. Not surprising he didn't clear waivers with his ST ability.

Whiteside...do we need him now with Bass being claimed? I don't think so.

And Unga??? ...this guy won't go away. Tolliver and an OLman would be my preference for the 7th and 8th spots.
  6. ChiCityBears

ChiCityBears Veteran

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Onuban can even drop a ball if Jay Cutler would persoanlly run to him and place it in his hands.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Nakoma1

Nakoma1 Veteran

Ratings:
    +183 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    and let the blunders begin the Vikes must have signed Webb before the Bears could act
  8. Nakoma1

Nakoma1 Veteran

Ratings:
    +183 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    waza matta wit Tolliver ?
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,613 / 8 / -10
    ßearz ßuckz:
    673ß
    If we all believe in Trestman as much as we claim to do, wouldn't Fendi be the guy we want on our scout team? It's obvious he's "not getting it", but is amazing, athletically. Let him kick it trying to learn from some amazing coaches, and if he doesn't, let him go kick rocks.
  10. Nakoma1

Nakoma1 Veteran

Ratings:
    +183 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    I COULD understand maybe if he was a rookie

I 'd really hate to see one of those tipped pass - pic- 6s end a Bears play off run ,... anytime soon
  11. lklrlolnlilklsox

lklrlolnlilklsox Position Coach

Ratings:
    +316 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    65ß
    Glad Unga was kept around. Lockette may never learn to play football, but damn is he an amazing athlete. Hopefully, we grab something nice off waivers and cut Scott while placing Boggs on the PS.
  12. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,613 / 8 / -10
    ßearz ßuckz:
    673ß
    I'm saying, don't we have the coaches to do it, if it can be done? Obviously a player like him isn't going to "get it" in one offseason, so learning from this coaching staff is probably his best bet.
    • Like Like x 1
  13. lklrlolnlilklsox

lklrlolnlilklsox Position Coach

Ratings:
    +316 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    65ß
    He doesn't need to get "it" so much as he needs to get a new pair of hands. He gets open, moves extremely well and was a decent blocker - but it's very hard to coach terrible hands of stone.
  14. tbear1

tbear1 Veteran

Ratings:
    +243 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    204ß
    Jerrod Johnson doesn't sound like much of a pick. I wonder why they went with him?
  15. BradMustersGhost

BradMustersGhost Veteran

Ratings:
    +355 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    330ß
    Still 1 spot left, eh? cool, maybe Emery will select one of us for the PS this year.
  16. BradMustersGhost

BradMustersGhost Veteran

Ratings:
    +355 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    330ß
    I kinda have to agree with this. At the end of the day, Fendi was just struggling wrapping his mitts around the football when it was hanging in the air right in front of him. There isn't much to "get" or understand about that. Dude just needs to work on his terrible hands. It's not like he hasn't been able to get open or run a route, or line up in the correct spot, etc. He just can't catch the ball when it is thrown to him.
  17. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,026 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,728ß
    I've been really critical of Onobun, but if Trestman believes there's a chance of him developing with a year on the PS, then I'm fine with that. That's what the PS is for. I'll be happy to admit I was wrong if he develops into a solid receiving TE.
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2013
    • Like Like x 4
  18. JoeBear

JoeBear Rookie

Ratings:
    +33 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    31ß
    I know this post is pretty much just stating what has occurred, but I have to admit I don't get some of the choices the Bears mdae.

I thought the practice squad was for up and coming young players the the team liked but just needed a little experience and polish be great some day.
    Seems like the Bears loaded it with the 54th, 55th, 56th guy on the roster. Let's be honest most of these guys will be lucky to be bench warmers if they ever make the squad in future years.
  19. Nakoma1

Nakoma1 Veteran

Ratings:
    +183 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Ditto that
  20. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,584 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,782ß
    No complaints w/any of that other then Unga being signed(he's like the herp just keeps coming back) and no Tolliver. I would have liked to see them Sign Matt Scott also, who is Jerrod Johnson; anyone have any info on him?

No one should be complaining about On-A-Bun to the PS, the guy has only been playing Football for 5 years, if he can progress on the PS over the next year or so under this HC then he might well be a great deal as a backup TE, and it won't cost a draft pick.
    • Like Like x 1