Bears sign 9 UDFA's

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by BSBEARS, May 11, 2014.

1. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +920 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,087ß
    http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2014/05/11/bears-sign-9-rookie-free-agents-including-nius-jordan-lynch/

The Chicago Bears have agreed to terms with nine undrafted free agents Sunday, including NIU quarterback Jordan Lynch. Lynch’s position as running back in the Bears press release[​IMG] announcing the signings.
    The Bears also signed: Louisville DT Brandon Dunn, Wisconsin Guard Ryan Groy, TCU guard James Dunbar, Alabama linebacker Tana Patrick, Florida State linebacker Christian Jones, East Carolina DT Lee Pegues, Temple T Cody Booth and South Florida linebacker Devekeyan Lattimore.
    • Like Like x 1
  2. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +920 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,087ß
    Headline says signed, article says agreed to term so...... take it for what it is worth
  3. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,666 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,848ß
    2 DT's
    2 G's
    3LB's
    1T
  4. PunkyQB

PunkyQB Rookie

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    33ß
    Beat me to it! When I first read they signed Lee Pegues, he was listed as a DE. I don't know anything about him, interchangeable?
  5. Chicago_66

Chicago_66 Veteran

Ratings:
    +408 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    98ß
    Two of our UDFA's made the All-Undrafted team.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap20...-jackson-jeffcoat-lead-2014-allundrafted-team

I'm digging the sound of Groy, sounds like a guy who could battle for a guard spot someday if Kromer sticks around long enough to mold him into what we need. I'm interested to see if Lynch makes the team, and if he does make the team how we end up using him.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,666 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,848ß
    Lynch will be a RB, and possible WC option if the team decides to line up that way; and w/WR's that are as willing to block as Jeffery and Marshal are, why not.
  7. tbear1

tbear1 Veteran

Ratings:
    +251 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    209ß
    I assume the DT and DE are cheap practice squad material, because it is tough to see how they will be able to carry the already FA and drafted players on the roster. Nice position to be in, but at some point it is disrespectful to the players. Competition is good, but you want to build trust and team work also.
  8. DaTreeBears

DaTreeBears Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +717 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    431ß
    So much Trestman can do with Lynch it will be crazy. They now have a 4th QB, RB, S and what ever mix of combination you can think of with those abilities. Trestman can think so this will be fun to watch.
  9. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,666 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,848ß
    Emery already said Lynch will be a RB only, nice that he can pass but he's here to run.
  10. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,761ß
    Badger OLinemen are always decent pro prospects and if he's got the tools but simply lacks good technique then he's coming to the right place. Kromer can usually work wonders with those types.

The two I see as having the most value are Lynch and Jones. (seems the NFL poop on him signing with Jax was wrong). Jones was one of the MLB guys who carried a mid round grade. It sounds like he has the physical tools but lacks the instincts a MLB needs. With some coaching this kid might have a shot at starting someday. If nothing else in the meantime he might be STeams demon.

Christian Jones

ILB Florida St.
    [​IMG]
    5.3 ?
    • 4.74 SEC
    • 33.5 INCH
    • 115.0 INCH
    • 6'3" Height
    • 33 1/2" Arm Length
    • 240LBS. Weight
    • 9 5/8" Hands

Overview

Two-time second-team All-ACC pick (2012-13). 2013: Played in 13 games and made 12 starts. Was suspended for Bethune-Cookman game for a violation of team rules. Made seven tackles in the BCS Championship against Auburn. 2012: Started all 14 games at WILL linebacker. Led team with 95 tackles and had team's only defensive touchdown of the season at South Florida. 2011: Started all 13 games at SAM linebacker. Was second on the team with 56 tackles. 2010: Played in all 14 games as true freshman on special teams with spot duty at linebacker. Recipient of the Devaughn Darling Award, given to the team's top freshman on defense.
    Analysis

Strengths

Looks the part. Physical tackler. Highly athletic. Fast and rangy -- flows laterally and chases sideline to sideline. Willing to take on lead blocks. Drops easily into zone and gets depth. Able to match with tight ends in coverage. Versatile -- has played Will, Sam and defensive end. Looked more explosive off the edge as a senior. Uses his arms and hands to press, tug and rip free. Good flexibility and agility to flatten and shows closing burst to the quarterback. Four-down utility and core special-teams potential. Tough, durable, three-year starter. Loves football and works at it.
    Weaknesses

Is a bit high-waisted. Average instincts slow his play speed -- still developing diagnostic skills. Hesitates to read and react. Can be more physical at the point of attack. Tends to slip or run around blocks. Needs to improve hand use. Does not jolt blockers and too often gets stuck. Short initial steps as a rush end. Could stand to improve pass-rush arsenal. Power element is missing. Average production -- does not leave his imprint on enough games.

I like the Jordan Lynch signing and that he's agreed to try to make the roster as a RB. After watching some of his game film highlights I was impressed with his running ability. He's quick and very smooth in the open field and he has decent size and power. I think he can be a productive pro RB and can be a threat to throw an option pass as well. If he'd insisted on playing QB like Tebow his career would have been over but as a RB he's got a very good chance of sticking. Plus he'll have a built in cheering section from NIU. (where's Lena, our Huskie gal?)
    • Like Like x 2
  11. Chicago_66

Chicago_66 Veteran

Ratings:
    +408 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    98ß
    Sounds like all four of those guys have potential to make the roster. I like the sound of Jones, with proper coaching he could sit back and terrorize return men while learning the finer points of the game. If the game were to slow down for him and he makes his reads faster he has the tools to be a starter. He's got the work ethic and that's extremely valuable.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,666 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,848ß
    http://espn.go.com/blog/chicago/bears/post/_/id/4692150/bears-agree-to-terms-with-undrafted-rookies
    Bears agree to terms with undrafted rookies
    May, 11, 2014
    3:17 PM ET
    By Michael C. Wright | ESPN.com
    The Chicago Bears agreed to terms on Sunday with nine undrafted rookie free agents.

Here’s the list:

RB Jordan Lynch, Northern Illinois

DT Brandon Dunn, Louisville
    http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2025780-brandon-linder-nfl-draft-2014-highlights-scouting-report-more#articles/2025780-brandon-linder-nfl-draft-2014-highlights-scouting-report-more

OG Ryan Groy, Wisconsin
    http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...fl-draft-2014-highlights-scouting-report-more

OG James Dunbar, Texas Christian
    http://www.draftinsider.net/reports/2014/T/Jawuan-James

LB Tana Patrick, Alabama

LB Christian Jones, Florida State

DT Lee Pegues, East Carolina
    http://www.fftoolbox.com/nfl_draft/profile_display.cfm?Prospect_ID=1972

OT Cody Booth, Temple
    http://www.draftinsider.net/reports/2014/G/Cody-Booth

LB Devekeyan Lattimore, South Florida
    http://www.nfl.com/draft/2014/profiles/devekeyan-lattimore?id=2543858

I'm posting the ESPN one only b/c it's easier to read. Where possible I've linked scouting reports, not all these guys have them so take it for what it's worth. Lynch and Jones you either know or were already posted.
  13. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,666 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,848ß
    • Like Like x 1
  14. PunkyQB

PunkyQB Rookie

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    33ß
    The Lee Pegues link is coming up as Derek, a FS from Mississippi st.
  15. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,666 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,848ß
  16. PunkyQB

PunkyQB Rookie

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    33ß
    I thought I was losing my mind at first! DE, then DT, then FS?!
  17. Chicago_66

Chicago_66 Veteran

Ratings:
    +408 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    98ß
    Another point for Groy, says he's a proficient long snapper. Very cool, build a niche and develop the skills to start down the road.
    • Like Like x 3
  18. Chicago_66

Chicago_66 Veteran

Ratings:
    +408 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    98ß
    What can Emery say, he likes a player with versatility.
    • Like Like x 1
  19. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,666 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,848ß
    Jones,Lynch,Groy seem like the only ones not looking at camp bodies, maybe lattimore.

Groy is a beast and I could see how Kromer would want him, he's a monster at 6'5 300+ lbs.
  20. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,058 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,783ß
    There is going to be some GREAT competition in camp. Emery is doing a great job bringing in quality players, even with UDFAs.
    • Like Like x 3