Bears sign 9 UDFA's

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by BSBEARS, May 11, 2014.

1. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,760ß
    He keeps repeating that issue about competition at every position every time he addresses the media. If fact he indicated the specific reasons for taking a QB and P in the 6th was to create more competition at those positions where too little existed. I think that's a smart approach but from reading some of the comments here about those picks I'd guess that some folks didn't listen to his comments about that or understand why.

Why spend draft picks adding layer upon layer of players at positions where you don't need as much depth or competition when you can use UDFAs to fill those needs? Over the years of watching this stuff I've begun to learn that there's a logical formula or style that successful teams follow when it comes to personnel and it may not always make sense to the fans. We simply don't have enough poop on certain players or enough of a working knowledge of the where the team needs to improve their roster.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,268 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,428ß
    Emery just keeps layering on the Comp got 3 QB's fighting for 1 backup role...ya backup QB, and it's well worth the training camp roster spots to get the right backup qb.
    There are a ton of backup swing G's and T's that are going to be fighting their asses off to get or keep a job.
    Ford just got put on notice, Lynch and Carey aren't here for funzie's bruh
    LB's, ya 2 udfa lb's could well compete w/Greene and Shea, like it or not get your popcorn ready and let the games begin.
    The UDFA DE's and DT's dont stand much of a shot but Collins and Paea and Izzy have been put on notice. I think 1 or 2 migth be on the cutting board.
    2 of the teams starting S's didn't deserve to have job's last year, and shouldn't be guaranteed anything this year, and it doesn't look like they will.

Good for Emery, the Angelo and Lovie crew are gone, and there is no Lovie dog house either. Perform and you're in, don't and you can kick mud.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,760ß
    Beyond those players a team pretty much knows will make the final roster and those they feel pretty confident will make it there's still a need for enough bodies to conduct camp and to staff the PS throughout the year.

Many of these UDFAs are simply filling out the numbers the team needs to conduct OTAs and training camp. Some of them have an outside chance of sticking. There's always a gem or two in that bunch and you can usually spot them. Beyond that the others are just camp fodder for the vets and top rookies to practice against. They know it and so do the players who actually have a shot at making the team.

Some guys are perennial camp guys hoping to finally catch on to the 53 man roster like Onobun or Unga who hung around for two or three years. Others are just local and easy to bring in. They know the score and wouldn't be there if they didn't want to be. Beats working at KMart or Kroger for the summer. LOL
  4. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Position Coach

Ratings:
    +1,877 / 7 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,178ß
    One thing we did not address was TE. Although I think one of the OL UFDA signed had some TE experience. I wonder if Emery will sign one in the latter FA or just go as is.

Emery does some good work with the UFDA guys. I'm pretty comfortable with where the team is right now. My only areas of discomfort (other than that damn knee) are LB (and we might be ok there), backup QB, second TE, and S.

The S is going to be a real problem IMO if it stays as is. The rest, we may be ok. Much better than we started out, and Emery still has the rest of FA and pickups from other teams as they let guys go. I like where we are right now (see --- I did learn something from Lovie)
  5. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,268 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,428ß
    BiH, I really don't think THEY see TE as a area that needs help, they have 2 blocking TE's, and I really believe THEY believe in Fendi.

I actually agree I don't like any of the S's, other then the one we drafted as starters, we signed 2 career backups, still have Conte and Steltz. Of those 4 I think I like Steltz the most...cry...
  6. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +828 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    868ß
    Think you may be right and you can only do so much in a draft but as a fan I am nervous if Bennett goes down for any period of time. Granted I have not had the luxury of watching Onobun last year on the PS and seen any improvement as the coaches may have so hope they see something the rest of us have not seen yet. If not this could be a major blunder. I know it was a weak draft at TE but still a blunder.
  7. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,760ß
    You may be thinking of Leno who was a 265lb TE in his first year at BSU but he's way beyond those days now. I saw his combine 40. They timed him with an hour glass.

I keep hearing this we didn't address TE and all I can say is this was probably the shitiest crop of TEs in a long time and maybe even in NFL history. Maybe there just wasn't one who was any better than the elephant in the room everyone wants to ignore. Onobun is still around and they didn't keep him around on the PS all last year for nothing. The guy has all the basic tools to be a good TE if he could ever put it all together and it looks to me like they're gonna give him that chance.

Other than that there are still at least a half dozen or more vet TEs still unsigned any of whom may be better than whoever we could have drafted. I have faith that we'll find one if it's needed.
  8. Bearsinhouston

Ratings:
    +1,877 / 7 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,178ß
    That actually may be true, or the scenario where they went after a TE didn't go down the way they had hoped. I was just laying out where I see the issues. Emery hasn't made his weekly call to me yet, so I still don;t know how he feels about it. All I can go on is my thoughts (and yes, it scares me too).
    • Like Like x 1
  9. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +828 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    868ß
    Cody Booth the T from Temple played TE as well but moved to Tackle a yr ago I think I read. Do not know anything about him other than what I read.
  10. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,760ß
    Lemme know what he says and while you're at it ask the prick why he hasn't been returning my calls this last month. I had some hot tips for him. :badmood:
  11. Bearsinhouston

Ratings:
    +1,877 / 7 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,178ß
    oh... well then.... that won;t work so well. Yeah, that's who I was thinking of.

And Onobun being a TE would be interesting. Plus, I like his name... reminds me of a name like a new Dunkin Donuts of some sort.
  12. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,268 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,428ß
    If he is a successfull TE, DD should come out w/an elvis styled sandwhich where one of their donughts is cut in half and in the middle is a fried egg and ham...call it the Fendi On a bun.
  13. jackiejokeman

jackiejokeman Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +215 / 2 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    513ß
    I wonder if Lynch can CATCH the ball ?

Looks like we could have 2 QB's on the field with him.

217 lbs. Not shabby.

Groy as a basically free Long Snapper project ?

Jones as a SST and not too smart ILB ?

I dont have any complaints with the UDFA's.
  14. jackiejokeman

jackiejokeman Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +215 / 2 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    513ß
    Youre rippin my lines dude.
  15. Bearsinhouston

Ratings:
    +1,877 / 7 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,178ß
    He does that. No respect at all from the guy. A real problem child....
  16. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,268 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,428ß
    not sure that's anyones line..pretty sure that was said simultaenously by everyone around Chi-Town JJ.

It'd be like saying your line was "how did the chicken cross the road"
  17. Bearsinhouston

Ratings:
    +1,877 / 7 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,178ß
    See... now your rippin my lines....
  18. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,268 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,428ß
    from what I understand I do that.
    • Like Like x 1
  19. jackiejokeman

jackiejokeman Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +215 / 2 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    513ß
    And we on this board tried to raise him right.

The chicken never crossed the road ... he was drafted by Lovie and cut today.

Now works at KFC while looking over his shoulder at co workers with knives.
    • Like Like x 1
  20. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,650 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,147ß
    +1
    It was interesting to see the difference at training camp last year. In past years players lounged around and seemed to just "go through the motions" with no sense of urgency. But LAST year there was an entirely different tempo and hustling. Webb probably thought it was all funny, but in late August they cut him. It wasn't the same old scam of players being a lock for the roster no matter what. Webb, a starting OT was sent packing and a late round rookie took his starting role. Unthinkable in the Lovie Smith era. I think this sends a message. Players have to EARN a roster spot. I love that.
    • Like Like x 2