Bears sign a long snapper

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by BSBEARS, Apr 7, 2014.

1. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,855 / 6 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,561ß
    You know it's funny you should bring this up. Years ago before I realized that it had become a specialty position you won't believe what I thought it was the first time I heard the term used. :pamela:

It was like, "um what do cheerleaders have to do with roster moves man?" Then I lit up a second doobie and forgot all about what I'd read in the first place. Aw come on, stop laughing. It happens.
  2. JJ-30

JJ-30 Veteran

Ratings:
    +148 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    37ß
    How about me I had Emery picking a LS at #14 or even moving up to get one.
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,477 / 8 / -10
    ßearz ßuckz:
    413ß
    I don't understand all of the love for Patrick Mannelly. Oh he's been here since 1997? Oh yeah, just think of all his highlight plays over the years.
    • Dumb Dumb x 1
  4. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,855 / 6 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,561ß

Hey, we gotta respect our elder statesman don't we? If there was a Long Snappers HOF he'd be the first inductee. His job was to stay out of the highlight reels and he's done that well.

Just be glad we didn't sign this guy.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2014
  5. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,477 / 8 / -10
    ßearz ßuckz:
    413ß
    Mannelly actually isn't good enough to be in that spot, tho...
  6. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,855 / 6 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,561ß
    Why do you say that? He's been one of the best, if not THE best, LS in the NFL for years. When's the last time you saw him botch a snap?
    • Like Like x 2
  7. omc1969

omc1969 Veteran

Ratings:
    +204 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    30ß
    Don't you mean " Dartboard"?
    ;-)
    • Like Like x 1
  8. weneedmorelinemen

weneedmorelinemen Veteran

Ratings:
    +377 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    92ß
    He doesn't have any lowlight reels either.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  9. billatter

billatter Veteran

Ratings:
    +204 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    76ß
    Your new LS, assuming Manley packs it in.

On the field goal snaps, the laces always ending up in the right position is interesting. Saves the holder some fiddling. One of the many minor facets of the game that goes unnoticed, but can make the difference between a FG and a miss. He'll appreciate not having to run down the field to cover the misses. ;)
    • Like Like x 3
  10. billatter

billatter Veteran

Ratings:
    +204 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    76ß
    Soul, in the vid he listed as 6' 3" and 243. Quite a discrepancy from the news report.
  11. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,376 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    778ß
    Long snappers are a different breed. Here's the Wiki on Chad Rempel - LINK

The cool thing is that Rempel is a member of the Lyndon Rush's bobsleigh team that won the Canadian four-man bobsleigh championship in Whistler, British Columbia. He is listed at 214 pounds. He played college ball for the University of Saskatchewan Huskies. He'll only be 32 years old (next month) so that makes him about 30 years younger than Mannelly. He's experienced....he's played for all of these teams:

Edmonton Eskimos (2004)
    Hamilton Tiger-Cats (2005)
    Winnipeg Blue Bombers (2005-2006)
    Toronto Argonauts (2006-2007)
    Montreal Alouettes (2008)
    Hamilton Tiger-Cats (2008)
    Montreal Alouettes (2009)*
    Toronto Argonauts (2009-2013)
    Chicago Bears (2014-present)

I figure a bobsleigh guy is even better than a swimming pool jumper. Right?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    • Like Like x 2
  12. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,214 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    255ß
    You know we are all running out of topics and need the draft to GET HERE if we are down to talking about backup long-snappers lol.
    • Like Like x 6
  13. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Position Coach

Ratings:
    +1,550 / 5 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    753ß
    Pool Jumping is so passe.... Now if he can jump out of the pool while inside the bobsled, he's got my attention.
    • Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  14. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,855 / 6 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,561ß
    And that's the point. No one in the NFL but Bears fans know who Mannelly is but everyone knows who made that bad snap in the Super Bowl. Making highlight reels is at the bottom of any LS list.
  15. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,855 / 6 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,561ß
    Just saw that as the video began Bill but he doesn't look like he goes 243lbs in this video either or maybe I'm just expecting a stockier build on him. With the weight training these guys do now and their ability to add lean muscle weight looks can be deceiving. He's got a nice snap on the ball and he knows the number of revolutions needed on a PK to get it there with the laces facing up. Both plusses in my book.
  16. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,855 / 6 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,561ß
    LOL, yeah I was just thinking about how many posts we'll get this one up to? We were close to 100 for a backup OC. LOL
  17. Ojibway Bob

Ojibway Bob Veteran SuperFan

Ratings:
    +98 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    73ß
    Ya gotta wonder if the difference ball size will eff him up thou....and who is the Waterboys down there anyways? I hope they serve the grape drink kind instead of whatever made everyone injured last season......yaaaaaaa Waterboys!!!!!
  18. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Position Coach

Ratings:
    +1,550 / 5 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    753ß
    Ball size shouldn't really be a factor. If he just gets a bigger cup fitted, he should still be able to run and move around comfortably!
    • Like Like x 7
  19. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,376 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    778ß
    No wonder you don't see too many NFL guys go north, and fewer CFL guys play here. Are the Canadians bigger or smaller? Maybe this is a metric they should start tracking at the NFL Combine.
  20. short faced bear

short faced bear Assistant Head Coach DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,196 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    94ß
    Mannelly's return to Bears hinges on hip rehab

By Rich Campbell, Tribune reporter

5:58 p.m. CDT, April 8, 2014

Pat Mannelly wants to continue as the Chicago Bears' long snapper, but he needs his body's permission.

After hip surgery this offseason and surgery in 2011 to reconstruct the anterior cruciate ligament in his left knee, he’s letting his body instead of his mind determine whether he’ll play a club-record 17th season.

And as Mannelly, 39, looked ahead Tuesday to the next stage of his hip rehabilitation, he seemed cautiously optimistic he’ll be able to re-sign with the Bears later this spring.

“I really want to listen to my body and see what happens,” he said. “You always want to play forever. Your mind says you can play forever. Your heart says you can play forever, but we’ll see.”

The Bears on Tuesday honored Mannelly for being their 2013 Ed Block Courage Award recipient. Winners, who are voted upon by teammates, demonstrate dedication, strength and courage in the face of adversity.

It seemed a fitting honor for Mannelly, who now finds himself at a life crossroads partly because of the toll levied by the injuries he distinguished himself by fighting through.

“There’s two things, I think: You play for the love of the game, and you play for your teammates,” Mannelly said. “And when your teammates can honor you like this and know that the last two years for me have been a little more difficult than the other ones — overcoming an ACL and the hip issue I’ve had — so for them to give me this award means a whole lot.”

Mannelly still must decide whether he can endure the grind of another season. He is almost three months into a four-to-six-month recovery. On Tuesday night, he planned to travel to San Diego to continue his rehabilitation at a training facility there.

“I would feel bad if I didn’t give it everything I had and I just kind of half-(committed) through the offseason,” he said. “I want to put myself in a position where I get sore again and feel hurt every day and see how much I really enjoy and how I bounce back the next morning.”

Mannelly commended the Bears for signing long snapper Chad Rempel on Monday and understands the team’s need to ensure it has a capable long snapper if he retires.

If Mannelly ended his playing career, he would play golf and travel with his family before deciding what to do with the rest of his life, he said. But he’s not there yet.

He has set some deadlines for certain physical milestones during his rehabilitation, the specifics of which he kept private. His ability to stay on schedule will be his body’s way of guiding him through the decision.

“My heart and my head’s there,” he said, “but you have to be smart and listen to your body.”

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/football/bears/chi-pat-mannelly-bears-20140408,0,1689113.story