Bears sign Houston

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by Marshall#15, Mar 10, 2014.

1. 4dabers

4dabers Pro-Bowler
    DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    534ß
    Ratings:
    +1,244 / 1 / -0
    Please Register or Log in to Remove this Advertisement!
    This is why I think he is (possibly) only a temporary replacement for Peppers. He may only be an Average RDE, but he has the potential to be a Pro-Bowl caliber LDE. Let's just see what happens with the rest of this off season. Things could get interesting around here.

• Like Like x 2
  2. ZifanQ

ZifanQ Pro-Bowler

ßearz ßuckz:
    83ß
    Ratings:
    +168 / 0 / -1
    Awesome news! Emery really doesnt waste time in the FA!

• Like Like x 1
  3. lklrlolnlilklsox

lklrlolnlilklsox Position Coach

ßearz ßuckz:
    213ß
    Ratings:
    +407 / 1 / -0
    I don't know where this idea came from that he'll be playing de for us, because we just got our 3 tech locked in for five years, imo.

4. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka
    DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    3,143ß
    Ratings:
    +4,553 / 10 / -8
    Sox he can move up and down the line, in Oak he played DE, DT/NT and OLB(weak side). The guy is all over the field and it might be why his pass rush growth has been stunted.

I think it's very possible he's the 3tech, but it's completely possible he's the RDE or he's our new Alex Brown/Izzy where he plays up and down the line depending on the need at that time.

• Like Like x 2
  5. omc1969

omc1969 Veteran

ßearz ßuckz:
    41ß
    Ratings:
    +220 / 0 / -0
    Love this signing! I was hoping all along that Emery had him as a target all along and was using Bennett's brother as a smoke screen.
    ;)

6. omc1969

omc1969 Veteran

ßearz ßuckz:
    41ß
    Ratings:
    +220 / 0 / -0
    Love this signing! I was hoping all along that Emery had him as a target all along and was using Bennett's brother as a smoke screen.
    ;)

7. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka
    DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    3,143ß
    Ratings:
    +4,553 / 10 / -8
    670 seems to think this opens the 14 pick up a lot, could go anyway from DT-S, depending on how they see Houston.

• Like Like x 1
  8. 4dabers

4dabers Pro-Bowler
    DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    534ß
    Ratings:
    +1,244 / 1 / -0
    Ya know, with this contract, it might be possible to keep Peppers for one more year if we can only get him to take just a bit of a decrease in pay. I don't know what's planned and I DO know that regardless, we can't afford to keep Peppers with a $18,000,000 hit, but if we could just get him down to about $14,000,000 (or less if possible) these two would make really attractive bookends and give us the flexibility to develop another edge rusher to replace Peppers while keeping Houston on the left side against the run. Then draft the middle and our D-Line is looking a lot better.

9. The Benjamin

The Benjamin George Halas
    Staff Member

ßearz ßuckz:
    4,018ß
    Ratings:
    +2,846 / 7 / -9
    yeah.... let's go with that story

• Like Like x 1
  10. Grizzblue

Grizzblue Pro-Bowler

ßearz ßuckz:
    482ß
    Ratings:
    +683 / 3 / -0
    Yep, now alls that left to doing some serious fixing up of the defense is to get a good solid 3 tech. (Donald, Jerrigan) and our defense is looking worlds better. Yes, our defensive backfield will need some work but a good dline will improve the play of the entire unit, but it dosent work the other way around. Emery is on the right track in order to be in the best position to improve the defense as much as we can hope for in one year. This is not a one year project imo but we have a powerful enough offense where the window is still open IMO if we can just get some help on the other side of the ball.

To highlight the main point, great move but next step needs to be a quality 3 tech to compliment him. Only way I don't see this coming at 14 in the draft is if we somehow resign Melton to a reasonable deal but I don't see him coming at a reasonable price.