Bears Sign Jared Allen To 4-yr Deal

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by draw2anderson35, Mar 26, 2014.

1. omc1969

omc1969 Veteran

Ratings:
    +216 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    37ß
    I have a feeling that Emery is saying to them ...... I gave you the players and if you don't produce results ........ well here's the door;
    just like he did with Lovie and his merry men. Gone they will be!
    :voodoo:
    • Like Like x 2
  2. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,761ß
    Not from me. LOL He's a 25 year old guy whose started 40 games and whose still under contract for about $1.5 mil this year. If you can upgrade him in FA you do but apparently we couldn't. If we can upgrade him in the draft we do it for less money and if the rookie takes his job away then he's either a backup and STeam guy or you release him but not until then.

Although it's not saying much the coaching staff repeatedly said he was grading out well most of the year but when EVERYONE playing in front of you is failing to do their jobs competently it does have it's affect. In 2012 when he could focus on stopping the pass more and not need to worry about being in position to be a backstop for the LB and SS he played pretty well and the arrow was pointing up. If last year didn't completely destroy his confidence he'll bounce back and have a 50/50 chance of keeping his job even if we do draft a FS.

Some get all emotional based on that blown coverage in the GB game but it's pretty obvious be now they don't hold him 100% responsible for that. The field captain needs to make sure everyone has the right play call and somehow Anderson neglected to do that. We can probably chalk that one up to his lack of experience as a play caller but IF he'd picked up that fumble earlier instead of kicking at it as he was just strolling by it never would have come down to that last drive and that last play.

Conte blew coverage because he didn't get the correct call and that's regrettable because it cost us the playoffs and all kinds of embarrassment at the hands of the "Cheeseheads" but Anderson ignored a rule that was drilled into his head every practice and also cost the team a score. All I can say now is, "who kept their spot on the team and who wasn't invited back"? Mistakes can be corrected but laziness and a lack of focus in the most important game of the year isn't.

Part of the problem MP is these comments are made by many without any lack of knowledge of exactly what happened and why. The sum total of their understanding of it comes from only what they saw not the aftermath where coaches and players told the rest of the story. If something like that happened to THEM at work they'd have all kinds of excuses for why it wasn't their fault and yet all Conte did was silently accept it. It wasn't him who said what really happened it was Trestman. I'll bet you Conte never lets that happen again.
    • Like Like x 2
  3. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,761ß
    WOW! How insightful and creative Benji. I don't think anyone's ever had this same feeling about him before. I need to study more game tape I guess. :rolleyes:
  4. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,761ß
    If we can upgrade Conte as a starter then maybe we can upgrade Steltz as a backup FS because he can't cover either. In fact he's even worse in that way but he does make tackles or at least he did. Here's the thing though. If Steltz was better than Conte why didn't they bench Conte and play Steltz? We don't get to study game films or know exactly what was expected of him on certain plays so if the coaches feel he's worth giving another shot to and Wright got no invitation to the 2014 party that should tell us who was the better of the two at the very least.
  5. The Benjamin

The Benjamin George Halas Staff Member

Ratings:
    +2,336 / 7 / -9
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,883ß
    Sorry. Allow me to expand my thoughts a bit.

Conte REALLY sucks.

Better? I am not a person that likes to try and over explain shit. I like putting things in the simplest form so anyone can understand it. In case you hasn't noticed people tend to just skim over long posts. So, I apply the KISS philosophy. Keep it simple stupid.

But, if you insist.

Conte could be see as the biggest reason why the Bears missed the playoffs last year. Not the Cutler injury or the defensive injuries which helped to bring out once feared defense to something a little more threatening than a pack of chipmunks. Conte. One play screwed us out of the playoffs. His failed coverage on that last Green Bay offensive drive screwed over the Bears. Granted, he had help with people that could not contain a cornered Rodgers, but his piss poor defensive skills bit the Bears in the ass game after game.

Better?
    • Like Like x 1
  6. butkus3595

butkus3595 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,208 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,153ß
    Amen!:13_4_9[1]:
  7. butkus3595

butkus3595 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,208 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,153ß
    It would be better except you're wrong. Him not receiving the play call is part of what kept us out of the playoffs, and Anderson not picking up a ball on the ground also lead to that. Even in your example you sited other people responsible for why that last play happened...yet it's all on him eh?
    • Like Like x 1
  8. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,761ß
    I wanted Tucker gone in the worst way. As many others have posted I was completely embarrassed by a BEARS defense playing that badly when that's been our mainstay for so long. Even in the Wanstadt era we never played THAT badly. But they chose to keep him so be it.

Emery went out and bought him some new studs to play the run better, he'll have more support from those guys who did "buy in" last year, no more guys who didn't, and some grateful appreciation from a few who were brought back like D.J, Izzy, Peanut, Ratliff, Collins and even Conte whose ass wasn't cut for blowing that coverage. Personally I can't see how they couldn't be 100% better and if they expect to make the playoffs and win in the playoffs they're gonna need to be.
    • Like Like x 2
  9. The Benjamin

Ratings:
    +2,336 / 7 / -9
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,883ß

The ball on the ground was a different play I thought.

But yes, that was one screw up too many for me. Others failed that play, but even if he got the proper play, nothing he did all season gives me any indication he would have handled it any better.
  10. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,761ß
    Good question shorty. Mike Phair hired on with Lovie so he came out OK and will probably be better appreciated there. The LB coach had no NFL experience and unlike the DLine, his problem wasn't so much injuries as it was failing to get Bostic and Greene playing well at all, ever. Anyway, IMHO we upgraded both coaching positions and in Pasqualoni got a guy who has the credentials to be a DC should Tucker continue to fail. That really wasn't an option last year so that got taken care of too.
  11. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,761ß
    So are you saying that it's OK to let Anderson of the hook for being the first guy NOT to pick up the ball and run with it himself? The whistle hadn't blown the play dead and in practice they're taught to pick up any ball on the ground and run with it. Others failed after their field captain walked right but it kicking at it but never picking it up. Do ya' think maybe that told them not to bother? Yet the Packers field captain, Rodgers, made sure his guy picked it up and ran with and what happened. Six points for GB.

And we also let Anderson off the hook for NOT making certain his DBs had the play call and their coverages straight on that last play. Thagt coming after they'd failed to stop GB on THREE prior 4th down plays! Who the f' what running THAT show? Oh yeah, Anderson again. A time out would have been a good idea there just to be 100% certain and either Anderson OR Tucker could have and maybe should have used one. But we didn't and now and for evermore Conte will always be the scapegoat for the ONE play. Sorry he's not mine.

OK, now we've gone from being an expert NFL players agent to knowing more about the play of his FS than Jon Hoke huh? You're both entitled to your opinions but his counts for more and he actually gave Conte better marks than you're willing to. You'll excuse me if I depend more in his opinion than I do on yours won't you. Look, Conte is back and he's being given a shot at competing for his job. No one said he'd win it and everyone Bears related has said he has to earn it. If he doesn't he's either a backup or gone. That's as good as it's ever gonna get as far as this situation goes. End of story.
  12. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Assistant Head Coach SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,483 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    2,498ß

Exactly. If they don't produce this season, they will get the old "welcomed back with open arms" fate, from Uncle Phil. (*shudder*)

[​IMG]
    • Like Like x 2
  13. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,761ß
    Just one more thing he said in his best Peter Falk/Colombo voice.

How in the hell does a thread about Jared Allen turn into a tribunal of Chris Conte. Talk about a :thread jacked:.

I've said all I'm gonna say about Chris Conte or to parphrase Steve "RosenRant"........"I'm the soulman, deal with it". :bah:
    • Like Like x 3
  14. The Benjamin

Ratings:
    +2,336 / 7 / -9
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,883ß

No. I went off in him when the play happened too. But if I had to pick one player who screwed us the most, it would be conte
    • Like Like x 1
  15. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +999 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,279ß
    Why you all getting down. Everyone is entitled to there opinion we frequently disagree in here. With respect to Conte, I do not believe he is very good either. Nor does Bleacher Report. Not gonna argue DT vs S as they are both needed and the quality of player at DT is less of a difference in rd 1 to rd 2 than at S unless Ward is still available which I do not believe he will be on the board when we pick in 2nd round. Conte is ranked as 55th safety out of 75; to do the math 32 teams x 2 = 64 starting safeties. Of these 64 -55(conte rank) = 9 safeties worse than Conte. Everyone can make there one conclusion, but I have a hard time seeing where he is not that bad. Maybe not compared to the other 9 but compared to the majority he is not very good and an upgrade would serve us well.
    http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1444324-br-nfl-1000-2013-top-75-safeties/page/6
    upload_2014-3-28_15-29-57.png
    • Like Like x 1
  16. The Benjamin

Ratings:
    +2,336 / 7 / -9
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,883ß
    And fine, you can say they have a better idea of Conte's value than we do. You're right.

But to use that same argument..... How about their thoughts on Urlacher and his value? They know more about his true value than you and yet you're still pissed about it. But I digress, I'm done arguing about him.

Fans are going to disagree with the coaches, GMs and other fans. It's part of football and sports in general.

I'm not an expert agent and don't claim to be. But I guarantee you. Even if he wanted to be, Marshall would never get paid close to what CJ got.

And as Jimmors said, I will believe it when I see it. Yet you don't go after him. Go figure.
  17. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Assistant Head Coach SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,483 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    2,498ß
    I agree with this. BTW, I base my opinion on Conte from the entire body of work and not in the least on the GB play. I understand that some folks set the bar higher than others regarding our play at safety, and that's fine. Part of that is due to us not having a solid safety in awhile. I'd like to see better play there (whether that is Conte or another guy). I don't expect a pro bowl level guy, but just a guy who can make better decisions, tackle better, take better angles to the play and not look lost out there on plays. Conte is probably getting a last look/opportunity due to the fact this is his last contract year here. If he does well, then great. If not, then the Bears will move on. Is he better than Wright? Sure. But that isn't saying much, IMHO. This so reminds me of the OL debate in previous years......we'd debate "who sucked less" and in the end we got Kromer here who figured we should upgrade the talent. We now need to upgrade the talent at safety, as far as our starters. Don't do the J'Marcus Webb thing at safety.....if our starters suck then get better starters. I'm not hating on the guy, any more than I hated Webb. I just want to see better play. The guy (Conte) needs to up his game or get the "open arms" treatment in 2015.
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2014
  18. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,855 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    2,066ß
    If you replaced Conte as a starter you WOULD replace Steltz as the backup.....:laughing-019:
    • Like Like x 2
  19. short faced bear

short faced bear Assistant Head Coach DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,399 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    440ß
    And indeed it should be. Point is and bottom line: It is more than just injuries that is wrong with the D.
  20. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,855 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    2,066ß
    SFB, no one said it was ONLY the inj's, EVER, but it's a far larger % then Tucker and the inj's are only slightly behind the complete incompetence of JA/Lovie and how they had so poorly drafted the last several years.

I made a comment a few days ago I'll repeat, level of importance when it comes to the fail that was the D last year:
    JA/Lovie they did not draft well which created a lack of starting and backup talent, and were rightfully fired for it.
    Lack of depth no scheme can succeed w/out talent and the Bears lost 5 D starters and 3 pro bowlers, not to mention losing their starting QB for a handfull of games. Many players have now been replaced and/or Depth is being added as we speak.
    Emery/Tucker Neither were in a position or had the ability to adjust to the loss, and no scheme was going to save the team. But both have to be given a incomplete b/c Emery put all his resources into the O while stop gapping the D, Tucker had NOTHING behind his frontline, which he lost.
    • Like Like x 2