Bears Sign Jared Allen To 4-yr Deal

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by draw2anderson35, Mar 26, 2014.

1. Billie Murray

Billie Murray Rookie

ßearz ßuckz:
    Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    Please Register or Log in to Remove this Advertisement!
    True but it could be a bit of a god send in that without Kane going down the 19 year old probably wouldn't have had his debut last night. Now he's got some ice time before the playoffs and if Kane fully recovers in 2 weeks the Hawks roll into the playoffs even stronger with the young Fin getting some experience. I'm sure he'll do fine on the ice....it's probably more getting used to the states and schedule etc. he will find more challenging but at 19 you've got the energy to do anything and he seems wise beyond his years.
    An embarrassment of riches. id_nana-cup.gif The polar opposite of that would be the Cubs promo played during the intermission:
    "tune in to watch 'Darwin Barney and the Cubs' take on the Diamondbacks" ..... id_nana-cup-spill.gif

how embarrassing for us Cubs fans.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Billie Murray

Billie Murray Rookie

ßearz ßuckz:
    Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0

Is that the football version of a granny shot?! Two hands?! 02_480x800.gif

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  3. soulman

soulman Hall of Famer
    SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    1,047ß
    Ratings:
    +2,075 / 7 / -3

Nope, this is coming from Seattle's equivalent of our Brad Biggs. From one of the main media people who follow the Seahawks not the Vikings. What do I care about what the Viking reporters are saying? He hasn't been a Viking for 3 weeks and they had no interest in re-signing him from the sounds of it. I'm telling you what this reporter said Seattle was offering and why I suspect Allen turned them down. He doesn't want to be just a situational player. That interview came before Allen signed with the Bears and this guy was confident the Seahawks had him wrapped up.

4. The Benjamin

The Benjamin George Halas
    Staff Member

ßearz ßuckz:
    4,011ß
    Ratings:
    +2,840 / 7 / -9
    My mistake for not being more clear.

The talk of him not being an every down player and now a best used as a rotational player comes from the Vikings media men and broadcasters when interviewed about him today. They said he is still a great DE and can still get to the QB but from now on should best be used as rotational player and situational DE to keep him fresh and at his best.

And for what its worth, we should care what the Vikings media moguls say because they know him far better than we do.

5. soulman

soulman Hall of Famer
    SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    1,047ß
    Ratings:
    +2,075 / 7 / -3
    I don't know brother. Even if Dix is there I still think they won't pass on Donald. We still need a 3 tech DT and it's gonna be very hard to pass on one whose as good a fit as Donald is for this defense. Maybe I'm just not as down on Conte as some are. I wouldn't rule it out and if it came down to a choice between them I agree it would be tough but I'd still take the pass rusher over the pass defender.

6. Ojibway Bob

Ojibway Bob Veteran
    SuperFan

ßearz ßuckz:
    239ß
    Ratings:
    +170 / 0 / -1
    BAAAAAAH I was hoping that Emery had Urlacher signed to a 5 yr 40 mil contract to come back......on a side note at least we don't have to fear him anymore

7. soulman

soulman Hall of Famer
    SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    1,047ß
    Ratings:
    +2,075 / 7 / -3
    Ah, I didn't catch that. It really doesn't make much difference anyway because we play a rotation so he won't play as many snaps as he has in the past. I think maybe he saw the investment in $$$ and a high draft choice Seattle had in Avril, Bennett and Irvin and figured he'd more limited there than here but based on what the Seattle reporter said ($7 mil avg.) we also made him a better offer at $8 mil.

This is one area here Emery is very strong. He waited for the market to set Allen's price and took it right up to the final hours to make his move. My guess is that once Seattle put an amount on the table he had his agent call Phil with it an ask if they could better it. Like Melton he may have told Allen's guy to see what his market value was an then give him a chance to better it if he could.

The very fact that he freed up that cap space told us all that he was after somebody and the speed with which the deal got done tells me that Emery had some idea of how to approach this and what he needed to do to make it happen. This is where Uncle Phil is at his best. He's a great poker player who knows how to play his hand. I may not like all of the results but I do give him the credit he's earned.

EDIT: It's still basically a two year deal with a team option for a third and fourth. I think he may last 3 years but I don't see a 4th.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Ojibway Bob

Ojibway Bob Veteran
    SuperFan

ßearz ßuckz:
    239ß
    Ratings:
    +170 / 0 / -1
    WOW I was crying watching Allan nail Knoxville.....hahah thanks for the laugh LB and ur pic....not bad at all

9. soulman

soulman Hall of Famer
    SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    1,047ß
    Ratings:
    +2,075 / 7 / -3
    Wow, some guys around here have doppelgangers on the Vikes board. For a guy who hates to play the run he sure has a lot of tackles though. Well, we did hire him to stop the run as much as we did to nail passers and to make a tactical move to offset Pep going to GB. We got the only guy in the NFCN whose been a better pass rusher than Pep and based on his numbers I don't see the decline. If 11.5 sacks is a decline I'll still take that over the alternatives. Houston, Young and Izzy all play the run very well so there's always alternatives if Allen doesn't feel like it.

Overpaid? Apparently he didn't see Ware's deal. Now that was a real leap of faith. We paid what Pep got (actually a little less) and about the same as we paid for Houston. That was market value. For $15.5 mil over two years if he has a dozen sacks a year and brings great pressure he'll have been well worth it. Besides it's not really a 4 year deal. Once the guarantees are paid in years one and two all of the rest is a team option. I believe he can give us two good years and I don't see Allen as a guy who dogs plays either. He's always been a "high motor" guy.

It's all sour grapes from a guy whose focused on one thing and bitter Allen left for a rival. Let's face it, Pepper signing with GB irked a lot of Bears fans too. We just matched that move. I really don't care if he doesn't like to play the run. Willie Young does and can so if Allen wants to play a majority of the time he'll either play the run or be used less if they attack his side of the field. We signed two top run defending ends who can also bring good pressure and then got a hired gun pass rusher whose one of the best in the NFL. As far as I can see we've got DE covered pretty well as far as the rotation plus a very capable vet reserve in Izzy.

Now we have some time to bring guys like Bass and Washington along without expecting them to produce right away.

• Like Like x 2
  10. soulman

soulman Hall of Famer
    SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    1,047ß
    Ratings:
    +2,075 / 7 / -3
    :rofl2: :4_15_1[1]: :bah::haha: Another season of futility is right around the corner eh. :gosox1: :cheer3: PS: I'm not a Cub hater like a lot of Sox fans but I can't help myself when it comes to some of the dumb shit that goes on up on the Northside.

I saw an interview with Teravainen and he looks like a baby. Like a pimply faced 16 year old. He doesn't even look 19. But if this kid only lives up to half his rep as the Finnish Patrick Kane in the playoffs I'll be thrilled. Back to backers would make up for all those miserable years when "Dollar Bill" wouldn't spend the $$$ to put a good team on the ice. Rocky is my hero. :4_17_11[1]:

• Like Like x 2