Bears Sign Jared Allen To 4-yr Deal

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by draw2anderson35, Mar 26, 2014.

1. Trackguy

Trackguy Veteran

Ratings:
    +173 / 1 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    27ß
    One of the local stations asked John Clayton if the Bears were only Jared Allen away from being a playoff team. He gave some long answer but all I could think was "hell, if he would have sacked Rodgers instead of whiffing and losing contain like Peppers did on ONE play, they would have been a playoff team." lol.
    • Like Like x 5
  2. short faced bear

short faced bear Assistant Head Coach DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,231 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    157ß
    Ric, your preaching to the choir about all that. I'm speaking to those who seem to think that injuries are 90% of the problem. Many mitigating factors have hamstrung this D.
    • Like Like x 2
  3. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +828 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    870ß
    upload_2014-3-28_22-5-24.png
    • Like Like x 2
  4. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,689 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,201ß
    This is why I'm looking forward to seeing how Tucker does this upcoming season. On the one hand, I figure he should do a lot better with all the upgrades (including the ones yet to come in the draft). But if the unit performs poorly this coming season then I think we'll all be in agreement that it will be time to move on from Mel. But I don't know how he could possibly fail to do better this year. Regarding injuries, we'll have them this year too. Maybe not as bad as 2013, but we'll have starters go down this year too. Hopefully not as many though. But we should have better depth this year for when the starters go down.
    • Like Like x 2
  5. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Position Coach

Ratings:
    +1,885 / 7 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,188ß
    The lines get blurred. If you give a mediocre race car driver one of the fastest cars in the field, what will happen? He may still crash, but chances are that he would look better. Tucker has two coaches that are much better than before and Phil has gotten him much better players. The debate is endless. If he does well, will it be because everything around him is better in support of him and only a human rump roast (or, of course Tice... but maybe they are both the same...) could fail? If he does well, could it be even better with a better DC? I suppose in the end, it really does not matter. The D has to perform at a certain level. If it does that with Tucker at the helm, he will stay. If it does not, he won't.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. dachuckster

dachuckster Veteran SuperFan

Ratings:
    +341 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    174ß
    With this whole discussion about Tucker and last year's injuries and this year's improved talent making him look better (and maybe not deservedly so), one thing stands out in my mind that is NOT being discussed is Emery.

He fired Lovie after a 10-6 season. Personally I believe he would fire Mel if Emery thought that Tucker really wasn't up to the job. And I think that this is one of the reasons that Pasqualoni was hired. He has collegiate HC and NFL DC experience.

A potential interim DC if the defense doesn't start strong immediately?
    • Like Like x 3
  7. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,760ß
    Sure, an explanation with some rational thought always beats "he sucks".

It isn't just that Conte COULD be seen as the reason we missed the playoffs, by a whole lot of people you included I believe, he IS the reason. Of course that's complete nonsense since the Packers ran another 60 odd offensive plays in that game too quite a few of which we didn't succeed in stopping them on either. We had three other opportunities to stop them on 4th down before it ever got to that point and I'd wager Conte wasn't responsible for all of those failures too. Nor was he the guy who had the responsibility to contain Rodgers before that last pass was thrown. That would be the guy the Packers just signed as their new pass rusher. You even admit others responsibility in what I highlighted in blue yet when it comes down to it you say it's ALL Conte's fault. That's faulty logic.

Let's not overlook the free TD we gave GB much earlier in the game when Anderson failed to do what every member of that defense is drilled on in every practice from training camp through December. If the balls is on the ground pick that SOB up and run with it! Let's also not overlook who changed the coverage just before the snap without making certain his DBs ALL got that change or Bowman who was playing next to Conte who could also have checked off with him on that change. The coaching staff put to rest any indication they thought that mix up was all on Conte so I will too and so should a lot of other overly emotional Bears fans but of course they won't.

IMHO Mel Tucker's failures led to far more losses last year than Chris Conte's did an yet he's getting his second chance. So in my mind I think I can cut Chris Conte enough slack to see if he can recover his game and his confidence which seemed sorely lacking last year, although that's no big shock. In his position as the last line of defense on a team with a front seven who couldn't stop the run he must have felt about the same way a young QB feels playing behind and OLine who can't stop a pass rush.......shell shocked. Maybe he'll get over that and maybe he won't but blaming him for keeping the Bears out of the playoffs is a joke. They could have put it away weeks before that but managed to choke every game before that which could have locked it up. They lost as a TEAM and because of their shitty defensive play not because of ONE play when Conte missed a defensive play call and blew his coverage.

The defense rests your honor. :5_3_1[1]:
    • Like Like x 1
  8. The Benjamin

The Benjamin George Halas Staff Member

Ratings:
    +2,048 / 7 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,290ß
    Yes, but at the end of the day a majority of fans are a "what have you done for me lately" mindset and only remember the most recent thing.

Look at Krutz. How many years did he dominate center for us? He had a bad year or two and people were ready to toss talking of how he sucked. He didn't suck, he was just old. Still a hell of a player.

With Conte, he screwed the pooch several different ways all season including that last game which is what fans remember most. Especially since that was the last offensive play for the packers and his coverage failed. Sure, containment also failed to wrap Rodgers up, but fans remember him. Had any number of things went different, including his not missing coverage, Bears make the playoffs. His suckage is what fans see most since it was the last play.
  9. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,760ß
    Where was he ranked after the 2012 season? He was 54th correct. Blend the two and it says his play last year was no better or worse than in 2012 which puts him in the bottom 1/3 of 75 NFL Safeties. Not the best but far from the worst and according to this his individual play last year was much the same as it was in 2012. After the 2012 season most felt we had finally found a solution to our revolving door issues at Safety but after the 2013 Conte stinks and should be kicked to the curb, right? This is simply looking at his play as one cog in the very worst defense that Bears have ever had under any coach. How did he perform in a top five defense under two of the best defensive coaches the Bears have ever had? About the same actually but boy how the perception of him has changed.

No one said we shouldn't try to upgrade the position but there are waaaaaayyyy to many people who want to try him without a jury and hang him as a horse thief just because of that one play they THINK costs us a shot at a playoff game we would have been embarrassed in anyway. Ho hum. No 8-8 team deserves the playoffs and that's what the Bears were. A very average team. Even if we'd won that last game all we'd have gained would have been last years bragging rights over the Packers. Then we'd have been a very average 9-7 team and still lost the first playoff game. Maybe we should thank him for saving us from that embarrassment rather than ostracize him for it.

I'm really not sure why this is such a major issue especially in a thread about Jared Allen. If you all want to debate Chris Conte then start a fucking Chris Conte thread. What's left to say? Phil Emery says Conte needs to pick up his game and compete for his job this summer and that's OK with me. It also tells me that Emery will make sure that there IS some competition for him and I don't think M. D. Jennings is all of it. We're gonna take at least one DB/S in the draft, probably sign another one as an UDFA, and watch the waiver wire to see who else might get released between now and September. If we can upgrade Conte I'm all for it. Keeping him doesn't pay my bills.
    • Like Like x 2
  10. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,760ß
    Could we all just get back to either discussing what THIS thread is about, which is Jared Allen, and either drop this Conte thing or start another thread about it. This thing is so far off topic it's on another planet.

The guy gets a shot at keeping his job, we've signed two new Safeties, brought back Steltz, and we'll draft at least one and sign another UDFA, and keep tabs on the waiver wire. He'll have plenty of competition, count on it. Either he gets better and keeps his job or he doesn't and ends up a backup or worse, he gets released.

We might just as well drop this debate until September when we'll have a better idea which of the above it will be.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. DaTreeBears

DaTreeBears Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +693 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    401ß
    When this D-line comes across a weak O-line is this going to be a fun game to watch. Tampa I hear has weak O-line and old QB oops...didn't mean let the cat out of the bag.
  12. omc1969

omc1969 Veteran

Ratings:
    +216 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    37ß
    SPOT ON ric !
    Emery is still trying to clean up the total mess that he inherited from the "Angler" along with Lovie & his merry men. Getting Trestman and blowing up "Camp Lovie" was a great start. Fix the "O" and now the "D" and draft for the future. Can't all be done in a couple of seasons but I love the way he's going about business with a precise plan that is working so far.
    ;)
  13. DaTreeBears

DaTreeBears Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +693 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    401ß
    Go to Vike web page see how disappointed they are seeing Jared go and look how disappointed we are about Pep leaving. That pretty much sums up these moves by Phil.
  14. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,760ß
    It was tough to lose Pep but his heart wasn't in playing here any longer anyway. You could see that most of last year. He needed a change of scenery and he got it. I still have tremendous respect for the guy as a ball player. He's classy guy.

The nice thing about Allen is that despite having a totally different personality he's also a first class guy. He was very involved with the community up there and was involved in a lot of charities so I can imagine it is tough to see him go especially when he's still at the top of his game. He was their version of our Peanut.

But in the long run we're better off. Not just because Allen is younger and has been more productive but we need a more vocal leader both in the locker room and on the field and he's it. Pep was more the strong silent type. I know for a fact that defense missed Urlacher's leadership and intensity and Allen will be a guy who'll restore some of that.
    • Like Like x 3
  15. a_miljan

a_miljan Veteran

Ratings:
    +307 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    131ß
    What?? Allen signed with DaBears!? That s.o.b. that fu.ked up Lance? grrr
    • Like Like x 1
  16. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,760ß
    Sure beat Lovie's "Steve Urkel look" and the pic of JA with his thumb up and the shit eating grin on his face. This was taken just after he found out the Lovie had offered McCown $10 mil. He's gonna want to beat those Bucs so bad. LOL
  17. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,760ß
    I get a kick out of John Clayton. He looks like he should hosting Book of the Month Club instead of being a football analyst but he's really one of the better ones. My favorite commercial last year is that one where he took of the suit jacket, shirt, and tie and to reveal the rock t-shirt and pony tail then jumped into his bed with his Mom calling to him from down stairs. Talk about trying to change your image. :bah:
  18. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,760ß
    That's a funny way to spell Mel Tucker shorty. Is it really spelled Mitigating Factors? :smilebig:
  19. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,760ß

Good find brother. I knew they'd have the structure up by this weekend. Look at that 2014 cap number. Hot damn. Not only did we get a better pass rusher but we got him for less than we would have gotten Pep for even if we cut his deal to $5 mill to pickup that $9 mil in cap space and keep him. And instead of a $20 mil cap hit for Pep in 2015 we have a guy two years younger for $7.5 mil less. That's some slick work by the front office I'd say.
    • Like Like x 2
  20. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Position Coach

Ratings:
    +1,885 / 7 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,188ß
    He has been called (and spelled) worse.

or... Mitigating Factors could just be his middle name.....