Bears Sign Jared Allen To 4-yr Deal

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by draw2anderson35, Mar 26, 2014.

1. DavidL

DavidL
    Expand Collapse
    Pro-Bowler
    SuperFan

ßearz ßuckz:
    1,883ß
    Please Register or Log in to Remove this Advertisement!
    Conte is a problem anytime he is on the field. I like this Ward guy. He seems to be very versatile, and could play safety until Tillman retires (or gets injured) and then move to corner....

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...inois-safety-jimmie-ward-a-first-round-talent

#141 DavidL, Mar 27, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2014
  2. MPbears68

MPbears68
    Expand Collapse
    Hall of Famer

ßearz ßuckz:
    1,336ß
    You aren't going to "get younger" all that much in FA. Most FAs are obviously going to be 26yo-low 30s by the time they hit the open market. You only get significantly younger by consistently hitting on draft picks. That hasn't happened yet under Phil on the D side of the ball.

So far we have replaced 3 DLs--one of whom is 34yo and the other two of whom were coming off surgery--with players who are either younger or of similar age but better and unhurt.

• Like Like x 1
  3. butkus3595

butkus3595
    Expand Collapse
    Pro-Bowler

ßearz ßuckz:
    3,340ß
    So what you're saying is Conte forgot how to play football in a season. He went from arrow pointing up to he should be cut? Let's get real here please. I know he's the popular whipping boy, but just because something is popular doesn't mean it's right. If you understand how defense works, and the responsibilities of the free safety then you would understand Conte was not put in positions to succeed this year. Part of that is on him, he made some bad plays, part of that is the people surrounding him. Wright had a track record of inconsistent play, Conte, prior to last year was looking up.

• Like Like x 1
  4. DavidL

DavidL
    Expand Collapse
    Pro-Bowler
    SuperFan

ßearz ßuckz:
    1,883ß
    I disagree. Because the DL totally sucked last year, Conte was put in position where he had to actually cover the deep sidelines on long passes. He consistently failed. He also had to make more tackles in the open field because our DL and LB could not stop the run. He took bad pursuit angles. He blew tackles consistently. I don't see that changing, although a better DL will mask his deficiencies to some extent, as in the past where we had Urlacher and Briggs tackling anybody who got past the front-4.

He and Wright MUST go.

5. riczaj01

riczaj01
    Expand Collapse
    DaBears Ditka
    SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    4,118ß
    I never thought Conte was good to begin with, last year just sproved it.

• Winner Winner x 1
  6. The Benjamin

The Benjamin
    Expand Collapse
    George Halas
    Staff Member

ßearz ßuckz:
    4,314ß
    Defensive tackle is still a little weak. I would not mind drafting one, but I'd be fine with them drafting a S.

That being said Emery might surprise us and get a LB

7. little bear

little bear
    Expand Collapse
    Head Coach

ßearz ßuckz:
    4,321ß
    He might even go crazy and pick a center in the first. lol

8. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99
    Expand Collapse
    Assistant Head Coach
    SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    5,268ß
    This ^^^^^

9. a_miljan

a_miljan
    Expand Collapse
    Pro-Bowler

ßearz ßuckz:
    739ß
    color me stupid, i still have faith in him, but its gonna be his last chance with us, he and shea are on the bubble

• Like Like x 2
  10. soulman

soulman
    Expand Collapse
    Coordinator
    SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    4,712ß
    I hear ya' but for me it should be Donald. Maybe not so much immediately but during the next few years if he can stay healthy I think the kid could be a monster DT ala John Randle. Ratliff is aging, Collins is only on a one year, and while I love Paea he still doesn't have what Donald does. At some point we need another DT this year and if we pass on Donald would Quarles last until our pick in round 2?

Unless you're talking about an elite DB, and I don't believe Dix is, I would never take a FS over a top pass rusher. It's a whole lot easier to find good Safeties and it is to find DT who can penetrate, pressure, and rush like he can. We just value positions differently is all. I think Dix is a great player and if Donald was laying at my feet I'd grab him but I prefer a DT to a FS right now.