Bears Sign Jared Allen To 4-yr Deal

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by draw2anderson35, Mar 26, 2014.

1. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,910 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,756ß

This is what I posted to you last night saying he if he could get him to take a deal like Pep got where his cap was low enough this year he could easily do it if he wanted him. This was like a chess move. GB gets Pep and we counter that with Allen. Knight to Queen's Pawn four. LOL
    • Like Like x 2
  2. butkus3595

butkus3595 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +598 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    310ß
    Let's keep in mind that Allen should be used in a rotation. If he's got to be out there full time and play a ton of snaps he won't be as effective.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. a_miljan

a_miljan Veteran

Ratings:
    +293 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    98ß
    haha throws like a Caleb
  4. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,910 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,756ß
    I'd say that's a distinct possibility. Allen at RDE, Young at LDE and Houston at DT. After signing Izzy and now this they're gonna be releasing some of those other DEs sooner or later. I have to say that when Phil decides to rebuild a line he doesn't fool around does he?
    • Like Like x 2
  5. mdbearz

mdbearz Veteran

Ratings:
    +284 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    25ß
    So last year Emery was out to fix the offensive line and he made it a lot better than many of us thought was possible.

And this year he has really focused on the D-line and BAM! On paper we just got a LOT better.
    • Like Like x 4
  6. VJ18

VJ18 Veteran

Ratings:
    +80 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    17ß
    [​IMG]

My reaction when I heard this!!! Also looks like we're drafting Ha Ha Dix now with our first pick
  7. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,063 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,131ß
    On Paper? No this is a lot better, between lack of depth and inj's last years DL was full of old, bad and unproven questionmarks(melton, wootton, shea). Now the team IS better, 2 of the best young DE run stuffers, Paea is still strong against the run, Rattliff is a good DT, Houston will play DT and DE. But Allen, Young, Houston, Rattliff are all better then Peppers, Wootton, Melton, Shea
    • Like Like x 4
  8. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,910 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,756ß
    Good pickup. I figured it much that same. Spotrac didn't show any signing bonus so he probably gets his $15.5 mil in the first two years and after than it's a pay as you go deal. They pushed a larger part of his guarantee to next year to lower his 2014 cap hit.
  9. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Position Coach

Ratings:
    +1,616 / 6 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    879ß
    This was the signing I was hoping for. When they made some cap room I was hoping Allen would be signed but put it at only about 10%. I think we are ok now with DE. I would still like a dominant DT though. However, now it is not a position of dire need like it was.

We have flaxability to go S, DT, CB now. Emery did a great job. The DL is much improved. I think S will be addressed in the draft. Not sure where, but that will also get much better before it's over. IMO, Allen is better to have on the team than Peppers at this point in time. Peppers checked out. Whether it was him or it was the coaches is irrelevant. He had thrown that mental switch and it's hard to get back that motivation once it happens. I think the guy is MUCH better than he played last year and I'm concerned about him in GB, but Allen is probably a better player at this point in time that Peppers even with Peppers playing well. Allen will give you everything every game and I think both players now have a chip on their shoulders.

We are getting set up for success. Not much grass grown under Emerys feet... I'll say that. When we have a need, the guy goes after it.
    • Like Like x 4
  10. Billie Murray

Billie Murray Rookie

Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Emery pulls the rug out from under Pete Carroll...bad euphemism cause this guy doesn't lay down.:14_6_12[1]:
  11. omc1969

omc1969 Veteran

Ratings:
    +204 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    30ß
    I said all along that Emery had a plan and he is so good at hiding it that when he does execute his plan it takes EVERYONE by surprise. Get the players needed and then let Cliff Stein iron out the details. AWESOME JOB !
    ;)
    • Like Like x 2
  12. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,910 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,756ß
    Jared Allen stays in the NFC North, signs with Chicago Bears

[​IMG]
    View photo
    (USA Today Sports Images)
    As Jared Allen's free-agency tour moved at a snail's pace, even with a ridiculous notion tossed around that he might retire, the Chicago Bears were never strongly mentioned as a suitor.

That's why it was surprising for almost everyone to wake up to the news that Allen had signed a four-year deal with the Bears between Tuesday evening and Wednesday morning, two weeks after free agency began. CBSSports.com's Jason La Canfora reported it's a four-year, $32 million deal that can void to three years and $24 million, with $15.5 million guaranteed. Allen comes from Minnesota and completes a round of NFC North musical chairs, after Julius Peppers was cut by Chicago and signed with Green Bay.

It's a strong move by the Bears, who had poured a ton of money into the defensive line already, signing ends Lamarr Houston, Willie Young and Israel Idonije. Now they have another end who can rush the quarterback. Allen's 128.5 sacks are the most by any player over the last 10 years.

Allen was on the market a long time for a player of his caliber, drawing the most interest from the Seahawks. He has posted double-digit sacks each of the past seven seasons, including 11.5 last year. He's remarkably durable, having not missed a game since 2007, and played 1,083 snaps last year (according to Pro Football Focus), third most among 4-3 ends. The problem might be all those games and snaps. He'll turn 32 on April 3, and his age was the reason he was on the market a long time compared to many less productive but younger ends who got huge deals in the first few days of free agency. He was reportedly looking for a deal in the $10 million-per-year range, but despite his résumé he couldn't find a team to give that to him. But now Allen has landed with the Bears, and he might be an upgrade over Peppers, who looked pretty sluggish last year and just turned 34.

The Bears had a pretty good season last year despite having a horrendous defense. They were serious about improving that defense this offseason. And in the middle of the night, they added a final big piece that makes them very scary in the NFC North.

It's that last sentence I like. Despite my dislike for some of Emery's methods I always said that he was a good poker player. We know they passed on him earlier because of his demands but Phil did give a glimmer or his thinking when he said they weren't done yet and that any opportunity he could find to continue upgrading he would look at very seriously.

Looking over who was left out there that might be an impact player Allen was really all that was left. I had a very slight inkling that since Seattle hadn't made him an offer that he might just be the guy in play when they restructured Cutler deal. Now the poker game really begin because with this move Emery has taken care of adding a great pass rusher and his choice at #14 becomes more of a mystery.
  13. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,436 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    871ß
    This was interesting:

LINK
    The Bears signed Jared Allen to replace Julius Peppers, who joined the Packers after his exit from Chicago. A look at the two players over the last four years (when Peppers first joined the Bears).

Allen/Peppers
    Games: ----- 64/64
    Snaps-----3,908/3,328
    Tackles-----223/175
    Sacks-----56.5/37.5
    Forced fumbles-----8/9
    Disrupted dropbacks-----76.5/54.5
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2014
    • Like Like x 7
  14. Billie Murray

Billie Murray Rookie

Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    I didn't even know I had a Bears app until I got the alert this a.m. and thought it was spam. thought he'd signed with Seattle.
  15. omc1969

omc1969 Veteran

Ratings:
    +204 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    30ß
    To the rest of the NFCN I say ......... GAME, SET, MATCH !
    :D
    • Like Like x 4
  16. ZifanQ

ZifanQ Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +150 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    46ß
    And the Seahawks and us thought Bennett had/would sign with us... The circle of life.
    • Like Like x 2
  17. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,436 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    871ß
    I like how Emery stretches a dollar. He seems to get a lot of value for the money, overall.
    • Like Like x 1
  18. BigClaws

BigClaws Newbie Staff Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    If he is as good at football as his brother Marcus was, then I think it's a good signing.
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. omc1969

omc1969 Veteran

Ratings:
    +204 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    30ß
    Emery gets his man and Cliff Stein makes it work !
    ;)
  20. Ski-Whiz

Ski-Whiz George Halas Staff Member

Ratings:
    +941 / 1 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    509ß
    Remember the days of the front office only "Tweaking" our team in the off-season?

I'm digging just about every decision the re-modeled front office is making.
    • Like Like x 3