Bears Sign Jared Allen To 4-yr Deal

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by draw2anderson35, Mar 26, 2014.

1. omc1969

omc1969 Veteran

Ratings:
    +216 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    37ß
    Exactly!
    This sure isn't your "Jerry Angelo Bears" !
    I wonder what the "Anglers" reaction to this move will be?
    :D
  2. Akuma2000

Akuma2000 Veteran SuperFan

Ratings:
    +165 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    45ß
    Lmaooooo....have to agree with the picture, Emery has done it again......he fixed the O-line and now he's fixing the D-line, provided we stay healthy this year I believe the Bears are strong contenders for the superbowl.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,416 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    435ß
    Wow, I'm shocked and stunned (in a good way). Didn't think we had a snowball's chance at getting him. This is about the only signing I could see that would justify doing the Cutler contract conversion from two days ago.

If Emery lands Donald at #14, the DL went from pathetic-bad last year to SICK-DAMN-GOOD very quickly. That would be a sweet mix of elite vets who are still have some gas left (Allen, Ratliff), very young up-and-comers (Donald, Bass), with a core in the middle of quality guys in their late-20s prime (Houston, Young, Paea, Collins). Wow, what a turnaround that would be.

I still want Emery to draft Donald in the 1st because I see him as the best difference maker on D who will likely be available there. And a great building block for the future. But......if Phil decides to go LB or DB instead, I can't blame him anymore. He's done enough in FA to make the DL respectable. Add in one piece from the draft and it could be SCARY GOOD really soon.
    • Like Like x 2
  4. BearJim

BearJim Veteran SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +162 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    52ß
    That's exactly what I hope is the plan. Keep hin fresh to destroy the QB! BooWaaHaaHaa.
  5. Akuma2000

Akuma2000 Veteran SuperFan

Ratings:
    +165 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    45ß
    Those are very nice stats, like night and day......not to mention both players having played the same amount of games, really says a lot.
  6. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,760ß

True, Emery is far more aggressive than JA ever dreamed of. I also think Emery has grown a lot from last year to this as far as his approach goes. Last year we had a lot of journeyman or rookies starting and lacked impact players due to injuries and a lack of quality depth. This year he went out and got impact players and upgraded the depth tremendously. Even his bottom rung signings have NFL experience under their belts and we have a lot better mix of youth and vets across the board. The Bears legacy has been built on defense. He's doing what he can to restore that and I give him the credit for it he deserves.
  7. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,760ß
    The really noticeable difference comes in sacks and pressures. Allen's ratio per snap is much higher. Of course he got to face JWebb twice a year for two years so he gained some advantage there didn't he. :bouncesm:
  8. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,760ß
    Duplicate post.
  9. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,760ß
    Nice alarm clock eh? Beats the hell outta waking up to find Kaner on the IR for a bit. :sad44:
  10. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,769 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,356ß
    [​IMG]
  11. a_miljan

a_miljan Veteran

Ratings:
    +311 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    139ß
    Yeah, this welcome notice was a nice surprise (I confess, I thought they were in for some kind of O trade)... Was still shocked from the day I saw Peps smiling face while signing with Peckers, im OK now :)
  12. The Benjamin

The Benjamin George Halas Staff Member

Ratings:
    +2,074 / 7 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,361ß
    I knew they had something. Didn't think this though
  13. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,769 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,356ß
    Now we get to see if Mel can coach this unit up. The draft will further upgrade the unit. No excuses.
    • Like Like x 2
  14. The Benjamin

The Benjamin George Halas Staff Member

Ratings:
    +2,074 / 7 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,361ß
    A lot of commentators have said that he is no longer a full time players and needs to be used in rotation and situational spots.
  15. VJ18

VJ18 Veteran

Ratings:
    +83 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    27ß
    its the only thing im nervous about
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. BearJim

BearJim Veteran SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +162 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    52ß
    Me too MP. I really like a lot of the "2nd Tier" safeties like Bucannon, Loston, Joyner, Dixon, Ward & Booker. Go to youtube & checkout some of their highlight reels. They all have bigtime safety skills. They just need to play & mature.
  17. short faced bear

short faced bear Assistant Head Coach DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,241 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    169ß
    If I were a betting man even though I'd like to see Donald drafted I'd say Emery goes back to offense in the first. I can also see him going CB and DT in the 2nd and 3rd. Plus it plays into my crazy theory that Emery drafts Ebron if he's still there at #14.

At least now we can get to the qb with Allen.
    • Like Like x 1
  18. a_miljan

a_miljan Veteran

Ratings:
    +311 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    139ß
    2 beautiful Jared facts:

Jared Allen was 9th in NFL last year with 38 knockdowns & hurries according to STATS. Peppers and McClellin combined for 36.5 last year.
    Jared Allen has 16 career sacks against the Packers in 13 games, the most he has vs. any NFL team.!!
    • Like Like x 4
  19. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,760ß

Apparently neither did Seattle. I just listened to an interview with a Seattle media guy and this one shocked them. While he was there for his 2nd meeting they did make him an offer of $7 mil per year and thought they had an agreement in principle but the reporter said he didn't sign and went home to think it over and consider his options. Furthermore, they thought he'd come to the conclusion that Seattle was his best shot at a ring and he'd decide to sign before the week was out. As Gomer Pyle USMC would say; "Surprise surprise, surprise Sgt. Carter. :rofl:

So as usual Uncle Phil waited until the market set his price and then bettered it by a little probably with a take it now or we move on stipulation. He surely didn't want him going back to Seattle and starting a bidding war. He doesn't want to get involved with that. Remember he refused to do that over Mario Williams two years ago and let Buffalo have him. His MO has always been to set a price and then stick with it and he may have done just that here as well. We also don't know that Emery didn't give out a ball park figure earlier.

The rest seemed to come down to this. Seattle wanted him strictly as a part time player in a rotation with Bennett, Avril, and Bruce Irvin and their offer reflected that. So my guess is that in coming to the Bears he's expected to be a full time starter at RDE and still play the majority of the snaps. I take this to mean there a real good chance Houston will spend a good portion of his time playing DT as well and that could have a major impact on the Bears draft strategy. It'll be interesting to see how the gurus play this one.

Despite this addition I still believe Donald is the right guy. No one else on the team or in the draft has the tools as a pass rusher that he has and as I've already posted, you don't pass up an elite pass rusher when he's there for the taking. This does give Emery a hedge against Donald going before #14 though and while unlikely it is possible and maybe they got an inkling of that through the grapevine. Who knows?
    What I see right now is that a DE rotation of Young, Houston and Allen with Izzy in reserve as backup at DE and DT is very strong.

Now add Donald at DT along with Collins and Ratliff as swing guys between NT and DT and Paea as the NT and that's a pretty formidable AND deep line. You could lose any two of them and still have a great line. We have to remember that Collins is still rehabbing and on a one year deal, Ratliff is aging and signed for just two years, and Paea is also in a contract year so the DT position still needs new blood. I wouldn't take Donald off the board just yet but now teams will have to guess what Emery's plan might be.

I've said that he's always been a good poker player and this will keep some teams guessing about his hand. There are still needs at DT, FS, MLB and CB to fill and yet he's added guys who could and have started at all those positions. CB seems least likely in one and Mosley is ranked a little farther down than #14 by some so unless it's Donald then I'd say Pryor or Mosley and maybe he does trade back and passes on Donald for a shot at Quarles in round two using the extra pick to trade up for him. Lots of possibilities now.
  20. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,760ß
    Phil to Teddy Thomson; "We'll see your Peppers and raise you one Allen". :4_1_111[1]:
    • Like Like x 2