Bears Sign Jared Allen To 4-yr Deal

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by draw2anderson35, Mar 26, 2014.

1. Billie Murray

Billie Murray Rookie

Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    True but it could be a bit of a god send in that without Kane going down the 19 year old probably wouldn't have had his debut last night. Now he's got some ice time before the playoffs and if Kane fully recovers in 2 weeks the Hawks roll into the playoffs even stronger with the young Fin getting some experience. I'm sure he'll do fine on the ice....it's probably more getting used to the states and schedule etc. he will find more challenging but at 19 you've got the energy to do anything and he seems wise beyond his years.
    An embarrassment of riches. id_nana-cup.gif The polar opposite of that would be the Cubs promo played during the intermission:
    "tune in to watch 'Darwin Barney and the Cubs' take on the Diamondbacks" ..... id_nana-cup-spill.gif

how embarrassing for us Cubs fans.
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Billie Murray

Billie Murray Rookie

Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:

Is that the football version of a granny shot?! Two hands?! 02_480x800.gif

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  3. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,850 / 6 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,548ß

Nope, this is coming from Seattle's equivalent of our Brad Biggs. From one of the main media people who follow the Seahawks not the Vikings. What do I care about what the Viking reporters are saying? He hasn't been a Viking for 3 weeks and they had no interest in re-signing him from the sounds of it. I'm telling you what this reporter said Seattle was offering and why I suspect Allen turned them down. He doesn't want to be just a situational player. That interview came before Allen signed with the Bears and this guy was confident the Seahawks had him wrapped up.
  4. The Benjamin

The Benjamin George Halas Staff Member

Ratings:
    +1,874 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    858ß
    My mistake for not being more clear.

The talk of him not being an every down player and now a best used as a rotational player comes from the Vikings media men and broadcasters when interviewed about him today. They said he is still a great DE and can still get to the QB but from now on should best be used as rotational player and situational DE to keep him fresh and at his best.

And for what its worth, we should care what the Vikings media moguls say because they know him far better than we do.
  5. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,850 / 6 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,548ß
    I don't know brother. Even if Dix is there I still think they won't pass on Donald. We still need a 3 tech DT and it's gonna be very hard to pass on one whose as good a fit as Donald is for this defense. Maybe I'm just not as down on Conte as some are. I wouldn't rule it out and if it came down to a choice between them I agree it would be tough but I'd still take the pass rusher over the pass defender.
  6. Ojibway Bob

Ojibway Bob Veteran SuperFan

Ratings:
    +98 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    71ß
    BAAAAAAH I was hoping that Emery had Urlacher signed to a 5 yr 40 mil contract to come back......on a side note at least we don't have to fear him anymore
  7. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,850 / 6 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,548ß
    Ah, I didn't catch that. It really doesn't make much difference anyway because we play a rotation so he won't play as many snaps as he has in the past. I think maybe he saw the investment in $$$ and a high draft choice Seattle had in Avril, Bennett and Irvin and figured he'd more limited there than here but based on what the Seattle reporter said ($7 mil avg.) we also made him a better offer at $8 mil.

This is one area here Emery is very strong. He waited for the market to set Allen's price and took it right up to the final hours to make his move. My guess is that once Seattle put an amount on the table he had his agent call Phil with it an ask if they could better it. Like Melton he may have told Allen's guy to see what his market value was an then give him a chance to better it if he could.

The very fact that he freed up that cap space told us all that he was after somebody and the speed with which the deal got done tells me that Emery had some idea of how to approach this and what he needed to do to make it happen. This is where Uncle Phil is at his best. He's a great poker player who knows how to play his hand. I may not like all of the results but I do give him the credit he's earned.

EDIT: It's still basically a two year deal with a team option for a third and fourth. I think he may last 3 years but I don't see a 4th.
    • Like Like x 2
  8. Ojibway Bob

Ojibway Bob Veteran SuperFan

Ratings:
    +98 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    71ß
    WOW I was crying watching Allan nail Knoxville.....hahah thanks for the laugh LB and ur pic....not bad at all
  9. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,850 / 6 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,548ß
    Wow, some guys around here have doppelgangers on the Vikes board. For a guy who hates to play the run he sure has a lot of tackles though. Well, we did hire him to stop the run as much as we did to nail passers and to make a tactical move to offset Pep going to GB. We got the only guy in the NFCN whose been a better pass rusher than Pep and based on his numbers I don't see the decline. If 11.5 sacks is a decline I'll still take that over the alternatives. Houston, Young and Izzy all play the run very well so there's always alternatives if Allen doesn't feel like it.

Overpaid? Apparently he didn't see Ware's deal. Now that was a real leap of faith. We paid what Pep got (actually a little less) and about the same as we paid for Houston. That was market value. For $15.5 mil over two years if he has a dozen sacks a year and brings great pressure he'll have been well worth it. Besides it's not really a 4 year deal. Once the guarantees are paid in years one and two all of the rest is a team option. I believe he can give us two good years and I don't see Allen as a guy who dogs plays either. He's always been a "high motor" guy.

It's all sour grapes from a guy whose focused on one thing and bitter Allen left for a rival. Let's face it, Pepper signing with GB irked a lot of Bears fans too. We just matched that move. I really don't care if he doesn't like to play the run. Willie Young does and can so if Allen wants to play a majority of the time he'll either play the run or be used less if they attack his side of the field. We signed two top run defending ends who can also bring good pressure and then got a hired gun pass rusher whose one of the best in the NFL. As far as I can see we've got DE covered pretty well as far as the rotation plus a very capable vet reserve in Izzy.

Now we have some time to bring guys like Bass and Washington along without expecting them to produce right away.
    • Like Like x 2
  10. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,850 / 6 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,548ß
    :rofl2: :4_15_1[1]: :bah::haha: Another season of futility is right around the corner eh. :gosox1: :cheer3: PS: I'm not a Cub hater like a lot of Sox fans but I can't help myself when it comes to some of the dumb shit that goes on up on the Northside.

I saw an interview with Teravainen and he looks like a baby. Like a pimply faced 16 year old. He doesn't even look 19. But if this kid only lives up to half his rep as the Finnish Patrick Kane in the playoffs I'll be thrilled. Back to backers would make up for all those miserable years when "Dollar Bill" wouldn't spend the $$$ to put a good team on the ice. Rocky is my hero. :4_17_11[1]:
    • Like Like x 2
  11. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +738 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    705ß
    We may take Donald yet or the trade down option looks even better and pick up a few additional picks. I do not think Emery is stuck on anyone this far ahead of the draft and his FA moves seem to have been done to allow him that flexibility. I still see defense in RD 1 and probably RD 2, DT, FS, ILB, and CB are still needed. Do not expect to see a RB until late if at all as he may get an undrafted RB in for 3rd string. I believe he will want a QB, OT and TE. He may surprise us and go for a QB in RD 2 or RD 3 hoping to get a #1 pick down the road in trade after Trestman works his magic. Outside of maybe FS no position is weak, with injuries ILB, CB, and QB could be weak, so I could see FS, CB, and ILB being addressed early along with DT and the overall Value of the pick in the following rd vs current rd will be a factor. Not sure how much emphasis they will put on Hybrid scheme and the players to be able to play multiple positions. Donald is said to be a 3 tech only which may work against him in hybrid, if they go for strictly the 3 tech Donald still has a pretty good chance. Donald would give us a great pass rush on paper with the other new additions. I believe Emery has put us in a great position before the draft and trust we will be happy with the entire body of work when it is done.

He may not take specific players we have identified as the Scouts may see things we havent or the upside of a player may sway him to draft a FS for example over a DT because of the upside they see in another DT. I am sure they looked at different scenarios as they made there FA plan. Now they will begin to finalize the scenarios, relook at the tape and work to finalize the draft board. I think it is way to early for them to know if they will pass on Donald but I am sure he is an option.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,977 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    990ß
    BS, I think the biggest thing that we as fans don't look at is fit, we might see Donald as a pass rusher the team needs, but the team is going to look at it deeper then that, Emery and his staff have ALL the pieces to the puzzle they want to build, while the fans only have a small % of them. Emery knows what he and Tucker want/need to succeed and how each player that could be there fits into that. We fans only know what the players look like and how WE think they'll fit. It's what makes mocks fun, but 100% completely inaccurate, especially in a GM like Emery's case.
    • Like Like x 2
  13. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,850 / 6 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,548ß
    I'd agree that it did open some options as far as that first pick goes but we're still left with DT and FS as the two biggest needs and after that in the next three rounds I'd say CB, TE, OC or QB prospect.

While I still favor Donald because of his fit and then a kid like Ward or Bucannon in two or three and a CB somewhere in those rounds as well. If he took Dix or Pryor and then went after a kid like Quarles in two I'd be OK with that. We still filled the two biggest needs in rounds one and two so we should be able to come up with two starters in those rounds and I think it's still imperative that we do.

Who we draft as backups or prospects to develop I'll leave up to them. I never research this stuff past the 3rd round anyway. There are too many ways they could go after that and it's usually only the first three where you're looking for immediate help or a guy who can play sometime in year one. I just know that we've added a lot of defensive strength so far but more is still needed.
  14. BearJim

BearJim Veteran SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +153 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    35ß
    Soul, I think if Donald is still available we should take him. There are a lot of safeties we can get in rd 2-4 that I think can play either SS or FS & could be very good. Bucannon, Coston & Brooks to name a few. If Donald is gone then the board is wide open for us or we could possibly trade down. Good days for us Bear fans!:13_4_9[1]:
  15. BearJim

BearJim Veteran SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +153 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    35ß
    All needs especially CB but we need a backup for Forte. I like Ford but if Forte goes down we need a guy who can run, block & catch. Maybe Terrance West? He might still be there in rd 5 or 6.

16. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +738 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    705ß
    Surprised no ILB. If DJ gets hurt again I would like some competition for Bostic. He needs to improve or have some solid Competition. Not saying in the first but even Max Bullough from Mich. St. may be worth it in RD 5.
  17. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,850 / 6 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,548ß
    I would take him Jim but Phil says there's no way I'm getting in the War Room on draft day or into his head. LOL

Maybe it's being a huge fan of the Buddy Ryan days when the idea was to put pressure on the QB and put him on his butt. He can't complete passes from there so coverage becomes less critical. These two 1st round FS are good but not elite and while I think they both have earned picks between 10-20. I wouldn't be disappointed with the pick of we took one of them but I'd still have my concerns that it wasn't the best pick we could have made.

If Donald is gone the choice get's more difficult. If it came down to Dix and Jernigan I'd probably take Dix and shoot for a DT in round two. If it's Pryor and Jernigan it's a real tossup. Personally I don't think trading down will gain us much and that's not Emery's style anyway. It's another month plus 'til the draft and the sands are still shifting enough around the league that anything could happen between now and then.
    • Like Like x 1
  18. Grizzblue

Grizzblue Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +450 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    58ß
    I agree with this and this is why in my most recent mock I sloted Pryor at 14 regardless of weather Dix is still there ( I'm assuming Donald is gone.) We have more of a need at SS over FS right now the way I see it. Yep, you read that correct IMO Conte would win a camp battle between him and Mundy. This would mean that we would be playing Dix out of position (similar to Major) at SS and trying to turn a FS into SS. He may be able to do it, but Pryor is about the same ability level and is a natural SS. Good run supporter and the ability to lock up on a TE or slot in short yardage or red zone situations. He even showed ability to be disruptive on blitzes at UL, another trademark of a SS.

IF we take a safety at 14 then my guess is there will be a 3 man TC battle with the rookie working at both positions and overtaking one of them. While both have the ability to play either safety spots, Dix is more of a natural FS and Pryor SS. With no clear cut more talented player I would take the natural at the position he will likely be playing.

Alot of Bears fans I think are still emotional about the GB play last year. Yeah, it sucked and Conte blew that coverage. Plenty of blame to go around there, starting with pep who should have had put Rodgers down, then lost contain. You can also throw blame at the other 6 rushers that werent able to stay hot enough on him to disallow him to plant and throw. Story of the whole damn year IMO. But all year its hard to put all the blame on him for how foolish he looked in some open field tackles as well (something I see mentioned alot.) What the hell is happening in front of him? Why is our FS being asked to come up for a solo tackle on a HB? I'm not saying Conte was good, or shouldn't be pushed but I'm just stating the fact that he will probably win a battle with Mundy if there is a stud rookie into the mix.

Sorry to get a bit off topic.
  19. EternalChampion

EternalChampion Veteran

Ratings:
    +78 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    66ß
    Love the signing. Veteran leadership, great motor, and knows how to get to the QB. I'm happy to welcome Jared and his glorious mullet to Chicago.

He makes the team better. He also knows the lineman in the division. His insight will be invaluable to the rest of our young guys both on the defensive and offensive line.
    • Like Like x 1
  20. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +738 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    705ß
    Great point, If Bass and Washington learned anything from Peppers and now learning from JAllen gives them 2 of the best player coaches playing the game today.